Respected Contributor

Re: Lather Necessary for Clean Hair???

@Mj12 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

lol, that is his new spiel, eh? I think it is a bit disingenuous to equivocally state that it is "Necessary" to clean hair. I've stopped watching his shows because I think they are a bit over the top now and he always tries to get in digs towards other vendors, which I don't think is very professional.

He's like a caricature.  And yes, unprofessional.  IMO if you believe in your own products, there wouldn't be a need to trash any others.

ITA!  I'd not use his products in protest but he has two I just love.  I rarely believe any of the vendors anymore, anyway.  They often really do seem like traveling salespeople from the early 20th century going from town to town selling elixirs full of false promises.  Seems like now as then you have to really do your homework.  

Honored Contributor

The  suds feel good and I use sulfate free and sometimes sulfates. However, I cannot see Wen or alternatives cleaning the hair -- all I can think of is build up and that is probably why some women lose a lot of hair.  Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I know lather isn't necessary because I have been using WEN for almost 3 years and my hair is always shiny and clean after using.  There is a sort of frothy lather feeling when you add water to work it in.  I comb my hair with my WEN comb to evenly distribute the product and when I rinse.  Never had a build up on my hair or scalp.  I guess you can call the frothy part a sort of lather, but it's different from sudsy soap.

I don't watch NC now Because I am not interested in the line.  I have watched though and he kinda makes me nervous.  Like he is trying too hard or something.  JMO

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Suebdoo wrote:

@sailor moon wrote:

Nick Chavez has a new hair and scalp cleanser that does not lather called pouf re-do. 

It contains alcohol and menthol, so I wonder how long it's going to take before the hair loss claims start. 

Interesting.  I'd like to see the presentation of that to see how he can override the claim you need lather for clean hair

ETA maybe it's a dry shampoo.

I saw a couple minutes of a demo on this the other day.  It's intended as an in-between shampooing product - a waterless cleanser rather than a dry shampoo spray.  The product is dispensed from a bottle like the WEN mousse (liquid in the bottle, but mixed with air in the pump to deliver a foam).  NC  followed up with a blow dryer and the models' hair did look refreshed and lifted.  I'm actually thinking of trying it.

The item # is A271255.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO products like WEN do not get the hair or the scalp clean and I think they clog follicles - as well as plumbing - and that is why the hair falls out. 

Also IMO - just because you pay an arm & a leg for something does not make it better.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO products like WEN do not get the hair or the scalp clean and I think they clog follicles - as well as plumbing - and that is why the hair falls out. 

Also IMO - just because you pay an arm & a leg for something does not make it better.

Have you ever personally used it?  Which one did you try ? It's rinsed out of your hair just like any shampoo or co wash.  Because it is thick you need to add water.  With WEN you actually can and should massage your scalp.  This is a benefit because it does not tangle your hair and the massage is a good thing.  My scalp is clean .....always.  I never massaged my scalp with shampoo because it would be a tangled mess.

Honored Contributor

Looks like you did not have problems reading all the small font size replies.  Good for you.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I did find some interesting things on The Beauty Brains:

Why does shampoo lather better the second time?

by THE BEAUTY BRAINS

QUESTION BY POSTER: Vananners is vexed…Why does shampoo lather better the second time? Especially with those ‘sulfate-free’ ones. The first time you shampoo it may not lather that well but when you follow up (right away) with a second shampooing the lather is crazy! Also, do you think it’s beneficial to shampoo twice in the shower? I have been doing that lately because I only shampoo about 2-3 times a week and want to get a good, deep clean while I’m doing it.

The Left Brain responds:

Lather is a function of three key variables: the type of surfactant(s) used in the formula, the concentration at which they are used, and the presence of “anti-foam” agents. Anti-foamers are typically oily materials that “use up” some of the surfactants ability to produce lather.

Lather, rinse, repent

The first time you wash your hair you’re removing all (or at least most of) the anti-foamers (dirt and oils) that have built up in your hair since the last time you shampooed. These oily materials reduce how much lather the shampoo can create. (This lather reduction is particularly acute for sulfate-free shampoos because their lathering capacity is lower.) The second time you suds up, you get a lot more lather because the anti-foam agents have been washed away.

Washing your hair twice is not a bad idea, but it depends on how dirty your hair is and how much residue from styling products is present. Washing twice may also increase your need to use a conditioner.

Do mild cleansers really get your hair clean?

There’s a bit of a natural theme to today’s stories, not on purpose, so here’s another one. Are you familiar with “The Natural Haven” blog? The name sounds like it’s about natural products but it’s really about the the science of natural hair, in other words hair that hasn’t been chemically processed. It’s written by a scientist who goes by the name of “JC” and she posted a very interesting piece on evaluating different types of mild cleansers.

She did an experiment where she collected her own shed hair which she divided into several groups: a negative control group that was left dirty and oily. A positive control that was washed with regular shampoo, and several test groups which she washed with different types of cleansers. then, and here’s the cool part, she took micrographs of group to determine how well the test products cleaned.

Check out her website for pictures of the results but here’s what she found:

Best cleansers (all of the oil removal): Shampoo, Oat water (oats boiled in water to release natural saponins), natural soap bar.
Good cleanser (most of the oil removed): Hair conditioner (cowash), liquid castle soap, Clay
Poor cleanser (little to no oil removal): Baking soda, Shikaki (crushed acacia pods) and the worst of all Apple Cider Vinegar.

The reason I mention this story is that It’s refreshing to see someone look for evidence rather than just say “ baking soda and ACV are best for cleansing your hair.” So kudos to you JC of The Natural Haven! The Beauty Brains salute you!

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Looks like you did not have problems reading all the small font size replies.  Good for you.

What are you referring to? There are no small font size replies on this thread.