Trusted Contributor

Lather Necessary for Clean Hair???

I finally got a chance to view some of Nick Chavez's shows from last week which I DVR'd.  I see that he now claims on every show that lather is needed to get hair clean. 

I admit to not being an expert by any means regarding hair, but I found that a bit odd.

I thought lather was a result of either sulfates or the delivery system of a product.  

I have no idea what manufacturing process he is referring to because he never elaborated.

If anyone has an explanation, I would love to read it - research included, however.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

Re: Lather Necessary for Clean Hair???

[ Edited ]

lol, that is his new spiel, eh? I think it is a bit disingenuous to equivocally state that it is "Necessary" to clean hair. I've stopped watching his shows because I think they are a bit over the top now and he always tries to get in digs towards other vendors, which I don't think is very professional.

I think you already know my opinion and it is based on a variety of information out there but I don't have the information readily available anymore. I even think Beauty brains discussed this.

But there will always be people who think that his statement is true, as you will evidently see on the subsequent posts in your thread. ;o) We've been using "lather less" products to clean hair thousands of years before the lather-y type shampoos were invented. It is a relatively new concept, actually and there are many studies that have shown lather is a great marketing ploy as it gives the user the feeling it is doing more than it actually does.

ETA: I think if people like lather because they think that it is doing more then by all means, enjoy your lather. What I don't like is the implication that something MUST have lather in order to be effective. Like I said, that is a disingenuous statement.

Honored Contributor

Frankly, I think the shampoo snobbery has gotten out of hand..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Frankly, I think the shampoo snobbery has gotten out of hand..............

@Desertdi, I am the furthest from a shampoo snob as you can find. I have been trying all kinds of shampoos/ cleansing conditioners looking for the right one for my hair. I listen carefully to all vendors. I truly do not understand the statement that lather is needed to achieve clean hair. 

Honored Contributor

I meant "amongst the vendors".............they seem to be taking pot shots at each other................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

lol, that is his new spiel, eh? I think it is a bit disingenuous to equivocally state that it is "Necessary" to clean hair. I've stopped watching his shows because I think they are a bit over the top now and he always tries to get in digs towards other vendors, which I don't think is very professional.

I think you already know my opinion and it is based on a variety of information out there but I don't have the information readily available anymore. I even think Beauty brains discussed this.

But there will always be people who think that his statement is true, as you will evidently see on the subsequent posts in your thread. ;o) We've been using "lather less" products to clean hair thousands of years before the lather-y type shampoos were invented. It is a relatively new concept, actually and there are many studies that have shown lather is a great marketing ploy as it gives the user the feeling it is doing more than it actually does.

ETA: I think if people like lather because they think that it is doing more then by all means, enjoy your lather. What I don't like is the implication that something MUST have lather in order to be effective. Like I said, that is a disingenuous statement.

Thanks for the reminder about the Beauty Brains @HappyDaze.  That is one source I can "listen" to because they provide scientific research.

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I meant "amongst the vendors".............they seem to be taking pot shots at each other................

SO SO true!

Trusted Contributor

Nick Chavez has a new hair and scalp cleanser that does not lather called pouf re-do. 

It contains alcohol and menthol, so I wonder how long it's going to take before the hair loss claims start. 

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sailor moon wrote:

Nick Chavez has a new hair and scalp cleanser that does not lather called pouf re-do. 

It contains alcohol and menthol, so I wonder how long it's going to take before the hair loss claims start. 

Interesting.  I'd like to see the presentation of that to see how he can override the claim you need lather for clean hair

ETA maybe it's a dry shampoo.

Honored Contributor

I don't know why lather would be mandatory for cleaning hair .....   Wen doesn't lather, and it certainly cleans my hair.     I also use a dry shampoo occasionally, and it does a great job ..... no lather there, either.

One thing I've observed with the presenters (hosts and vendors) ..... if they say something with CONVICTION,  many will assume it must be true.