Honored Contributor

Re: Last Day of PT. It Was Kinda Sad

@monicakm    Thank you for your reply/information.  That was very nice of you to do.  I hope you will be back to normal shortly.  Take good care.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm @GREAT! YAY FOR YOU!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Thats Me 

These were vital for success (or at least my success).

1  Starting PT immediately and DON'T SKIP AN APPOINTMENT

2  Having a good relationship with your therapist.  I know that Rob  

and my working relationship was a big part of why I did so well.

Our personalities clicked and we enjoyed each other's company. He

made me want to succeed for him as much as for myself.  

3 At home exercise equipment.  It doesn't stop with going to PT.  You'll   

need to keep the joint moving and flexing forever.  You don't    

HAVE to have at home equipment but I know (again, for me) it's made

a huge difference.  

Respected Contributor

@chiclet I think it (the amount of hands on attention) depends on what you are getting PT for:  post op ortho surgeries get a lot of intensive attention.  I had total shoulder replacement and PT was quite intense.  The therapists actually worked with me for the entire visit and assigned home work to do.  Therapists and assistants vary their monitoring based on what they are providing for you.   I have also gone to PT for injuries and the treatment is different based on your diagnosis and treatment plan.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I agree with @monicakm about PT and home exercises.  They were a big part of my shoulder rehab.  I still do  some of the exercises 2  years out and the doctor and staff told me they could tell I did.   i also was told by the doc that a lot of patients don't complete PT or exercise at home during PT.   Seems silly to me that anyone wouldn't complete the treatment plan after a big surgery.   But most insurance policies don't cover PT well and it is very expensive (my co-pay was over $2,000).   I was fortunate that my PT ended just as the covid lockdown started.  i remain grateful that I had a wonderful surgeon and PT provider.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm Glad to see you've "graduated"   I just started and that bike looks like something I'm going to ask about this week!  Broke my leg/ankle & heel in February - did home PT but it wasn't really worth it.  Now doing outpatient and just 2 sessions in I know Im moving in the right direction.

I broke same leg about 15 years ago and I remember thinking how worthwhile my PT sessions were - You're a thousand percent correct, it's all in the therapist !

Trusted Contributor

I'm so happy for you!

I didn't have home exercise equipment but when I had the right one done they had a knee bending machine brought to the house. only for the right knee, not the left.

the physical therapy people were just fantastic. At one point I had nasty vertigo which was affecting ability to practice stairs. So they worked with me and showed me how to do exercises for that, and they helped!

Youre so right about keeping up with exercises after the pt formally ends. I haven't been the best about that some years later and I have been very lucky!

All the best to you for continued healing!

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 

DH put it together this evening and I gave it a spin.  I need to find just the right chair to keep strain off my back.  I'm thinking a padded folding chair will be the ticket.  

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

That might just be the difference between city and small town.  I've been there for 18 visits and everyone has a therapist by their side the whole time.  I found out Rob (my PT guy) was the manager.  It's owned by a large hospital 30 miles away.  If/when I get the other knee replaced, I know who my PT guy will be!  I'm seriously considering the other knee as soon as I feel like my freshly replaced knee is strong enough to handle it without the extra pain from just being operated on.  I need it to be solid.  It makes me want to pass out to think of having two done at once Smiley Surprised  So maybe a year??

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm ,Is your other knee bad enough to require another surgery? I thought that you only had pain in one of them. 

If/when you do have a second knee replacement, here's hoping you can have the same therapist. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain