Esteemed Contributor

Lash extensions. Can someone school me?

I sometimes apply false lashes (sometimes strip, sometimes a few clusters) but it's a pain.

Lash extensions seem like a good idea but the menu of options I see is pretty confusing.

If you've had this done, can you give me some 4-1-1?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Re: Lash extensions. Can someone school me?

i've been wearing extension for 3 years now and it's the best thing ever! 

initially you pay out a fee $125.00 for me to have them put on.  you can get them wet and even swim, which i don't.  i think it would cause problems, i don't care what she says, but i have gotten water in my eyes.  i do wear shadow, but have stopped with the eyeliner.  felt no need for it wearing these. 

they do come in different lengths, but i wear a length that looks fairly natural.  some girls really go for it.  i go every 3 weeks for a fill.  sometimes i will lose lashes and this is usually because my own natural lashes are growing in.  sometimes i need very little done.  my fills cost me $50.  i've even gone 4 weeks at times.

they can be very expensive depending where you live, but shop around and use groupon.

let me know if you have any other questions @gardensla

i can't think of anything else right now.  i'm having my morning coffee!

Valued Contributor

Is there a brand of lash extensions that are better? I've seen several kinds

Esteemed Contributor

@ladyroxanne

Thank you! It looks like a long process to have them done the first time. The other options were a 1/2 and then there were clusters and corners. Sounds like you had the first option.

There are different kinds of materials from mink to silk to synthetic. I will be foregoing the mink, but wondering if you have an opinion on the others.

Yes, very expensive the first time. In my area about $200 for the first go and $50 for a fill. 

I guess my only question is what happens if you don't go back for a fill? Do they just drop off as your lashes grow and if so, does it look patchy and weird?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

@Snow Kitten

i go to an esthetician (sp) so i don't know what brand she uses.  sorry

Respected Contributor

@gardensla

i've never gone without them, but a friend has let them go.  i don't remember her looking bad as far as bald spots.  i guess you could make up the difference with mascara. 

Respected Contributor

@gardensla

also, i would imagine i'm wearing synthetic, but then i really don't know for sure.  they wear extremely well and look great and that's the important thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Greatly appreciate the help. I love to try new beauty things!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

I wore eyelash extensions for about 3 1/2 years-Xtreme brand. The first application cost me $350.00 and every 3 weeks the fill ins  were $75.00. Expensive, but worth every cent.  I never needed to use mascara nor eyeliner on my upper lashes, only on  occasionally shadow. Unfortunately, I developed an allergy to the glue she used and had to let them eventually fall off. 

Occasional Contributor

I'm an Esthetician that specializes in eyelash extensions so hopefully I can help you with some of your questions. Smiley Happy

Always look for someone licensed (cosmetologist, esthetician etc). Anyone who is concerned with client safety won't mind doing a consult first and this gives you a chance to check how sanitary their set up is!!

The most important thing is to find someone who understands eye safety and maintaining your natural lashes. You can't just slap giant lashes on just anyone. You have to take into account the natural lash and how much it can handle so the extension doesn't stress the natural lash and damage the follicle. 

The goal should be that if at anytime you took all the extensions off your natural lashes should still be healthy. 

As for products, I use Xtreme lash and Sugarlash. There are a ton of other great companies out there so if you have questions about a particular brand, let me know and maybe I can help. Smiley Happy