Respected Contributor

Large pores, sagging jowls, wrinkles, oily t zone, thinning hair

When I hit my sixties things really went downhill and every year its getting worse.  I can go to bed and wake up with a whole new problem on my face. I know nothing will make any of that go away but I am willing to fight to at least be presentable when I go out and not scare people.  Any new ideas.  I went to sephora and tried a slew of new foundations but either it felt like dried concrete on my face or greasy and glowy. I hate layering a lot of products on my face because it gets heavy with each layer and it races to my lines and pores.  I really hate pokadot pores.  If anyone has a miracle product please tell me.  I don't have the money or nerve to do anything with a surgeon. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Large pores, sagging jowls, wrinkles, oily t zone, thinning hair

I totally understand.  I am 73 now.  Here is what I have found.  Less is best for the make up.  Use Argan oil around your jowls and neck to keep it soft and moist. use blush on your cheeks.  Use as much eye make up as you can, to draw attention away from the jowls.  Add a hair piece to the top of your head, again to take the focus away from what you don't like.  Smile! 

Honored Contributor

I have never found a product that made a real difference, but a derm and some laser treatments can help with some issues.  I'd spend my money at the derm instead of the cosmetics counter.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend Paulas's Choice products. They address lines, large pores and an oily T-zone. I highly recommend her Clinical 1% retinol for wrinkles, pores and oiliness. I also love her new Niacinamide booster for large pores. It makes a huge difference. I would say to take a look at the products and the regimen you use now to see what might be missing. It's good to use vitamin C, and an exfoliant as well as retinol.

With all the things you mention, I would also recommend getting some blood work done to determine it isn't something else. You may also consider seeing a dermatologist for the thinning hair and to get Retin-A. That will address many of the things you mention as well. 

I also highly recommend laser treatments; that will address many of the things you mention. They have lasers that address the sagging, large pores and wrinkles that tighten the skin. It will make a big difference and then you can maintain the results using good skincare. Nothing will work like lasers do.

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

I am also in my sixties. Not sure what can be done re sagging jowls or wrinkles but large pores and oily t area can be improved by exfoliating regularly-even daily. I use Dhc facial scrub, it is very mild. I would also cleanse face with a toner or astringent, pores will shrink.

Wrinkles become less noticeable with a moisturizer and makeup. I love Clinique moisture surge, it is so very light and not very expensive, about $35. I also use Laura Geller balance and brighten foundation it is very lightweight.

A facial periodically can also  help, Groupon runs deals.

As for thinning hair, try a wig. Some nice ones are on the Q. If you don't like it return it. I wear a wig, I have no choice due to diseases. I throughly  love my wigs and the freedom they provide.

Good luck, it is better to be over the hill, than under it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm using Isomers Tea Tree Cleanser in the morning on my face. It really has took care of my large pores. I could not believe how large they were after menopause. It's like they stretched out of shape. Maybe the tea tree oil cleanser will help your pores & oily skin.

I just started using Beekman's new face bar at night to wash my face. I cannot use the Tea Tree twice a day daily or my skin gets too dry. My skin is no longer oily as it always has been.

I guess I have good jeans because I don't have much wrinkles.

I use Isomers Glutathiosome in the morning & the RPur at night with Wen body treatment cream on my face. Sometimes I apply these sometimes I don't.

I also have thinning hair. I have been mixing argan oil with rosemary oil & apply to my scalp & leave in overnight or during the day before washing.

Sagging jowls I'm getting those too. They will do what they do because I also won't go have work done. I don't like doctors or needles so this is a big out for me with no question. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I know how you feel, it's a struggle but just be greatfull that you have been blessed to see your sixties. I am 67  with a history of oily skin, acne, large pores and I now have thinning hair on the top of my head only.  I was a mess ! So my regime has included washing my face twice a day  with over the counter clean and clear facial scrub followed by First Aid Facial radiance pads found here at QVC or at Ulta. I use neutrogenia   moisterizer in the am to prevent acne and neutrogenia tone repair cream at night. I get many compliments on my clear skin and told I don't look my age which I like. I don't have any wrinkles or large pores, use minoxidil 2 x's daily for my hair problem ( using about 2 months and starting to see some good results) I don't smoke (never did) and don't drink which can add years to one's appearance (not everyone develops wrinkles  I'm sure).  Hope that helps a little but again that's what has worked for me. Best of luck to you

Frequent Contributor

For large pore this is what worked for me...

Step 1. Wash face with "Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel"

Step 2. Then put on "Paula's Choise Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment with 2% BHA"

Step 3. Then lastly put on "Life-Flo Rosehip Seed oil"

These 3 products together have closed down my pores. It works quickly too.

Valued Contributor

Large pores .... skip liquid makeup!

Powder / mineral type only ... it worked for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know all about thinning hair. I've had it most of my adult life and in fact I went bald for about a year but it grew back slowly. I speak from experience that most shampoos and conditioners do not promote hair growth nor do they prevent hair loss. The only products that will help you are topicals such as Minoxidil (Rogaine) or a copper-containing treatment solution. Another very promising but lengthy treatment is with a hair laser comb or helmet / hat device. I have had the best success with my i-Grow laser helmet which I have been using for a couple of years now. I bought it when it was introduced here on the Q. My hair has grown back with very little scalp showing where I used to use Joan Rivers Fill-in powder frequently. Now it's a thing of the past for me. I know the laser is an expensive purchase but honestly for me it is worth every penny and some. The longer you wait, the less effective laser treatments can be. Sooner is better...like now. 

As far as large pores and wrinkles...Retin-A (tretinoin) has been shown to improve both. Here again, the sooner you start, the better your results may be.Woman Happy

I'm 62yo.