Frequent Contributor

Large pores & foundation question

I have larger pores cheeks & chin . I bought IT founation... OUCH It magnifies every pore !! BE TOO. So in this heat ( NC ), do i use a primer first? Im afraid it will roll or melt off> Please HELP. THX .

Honored Contributor

Re: Large pores & foundation question

I don't know what your skincare routine is, but I would suggest addressing your pore issue that way first. After that, I believe a primer would be in order. IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream is multi-tasking and already has the primer built in, but I still use a separate primer anyway because I think it makes the BB/CC cream go on better. After the foundation is applied, you might consider dusting a little powder over it, to make it set.

Super Contributor

You have the same issue I have and the best I have found is Smashbox Pore and Line Filler. My chin is more like little crinkles than pores but my left cheek has a few large pores. Estee Lauder Perfectionist Line Smoother works the same as the Smashbox. It used to be that EL was cheaper but I double checked the website and it has almost doubled in price so Smashbox is cheaper. I have tried a ton of other products and these are the best. You can also use the Smashbox as a primer but I hate primers so I just cover my flaws. Also a Korean mu company has a foundation that is my HG. It is Lioele Gel Foundation. It is a primer, concealer, foundation and powder all in one. Check it out at lioeletexasdotcom.

I have the BE and It CC btw. The It CC is only my fallback for times I need extra SPF although at one time I truly loved it till I found Lioele and Missha.

Super Contributor

I personally can't use any primers as I find that silicone-based products tend to accentuate my pores rather than blur them. I also have issues with most foundations and find that mineral powders are the only foundation that doesn't break me out or irritate my skin. (My skin is just not like most people's, I've come to realize.)

What's working really well for me is BE matte foundation applied dry (yes, pores show at this point), then "blended" with a damp sponge. I literally just dab a damp sponge over the areas where the pores are and blend the foundation until I can't see the pores any longer. In a pinch, I've used damp fingers and it works also. I add a touch more foundation powder if necessary. I was pleasantly surprised when I had pictures taken recently and my skin looked flawless (it's definitely not). The matte foundation is new for me, plus I got a new color match at the BE boutique. Am really happy with it.

Frequent Contributor

I have very few pores because of the skin care I use. But I do use a primer when I wear full makeup. It tends to hide anything and helps my makeup stay on much longer.

The primer I use is silicone based. Hopefully you might find one that does work.

I also have the problem of sensitive skin and things break me out easily so I know where you are coming from.

I know right now you are looking for a primer but check out some of the skin care products that reduce pores. Some of them do work.

Good luck. There are so many products out there it is hard to find one that works for you.

Super Contributor

I've found the older I get the more noticeable my pores are. Makes sense -- gravity pulling down on our skin, stretching those pores. Makeup supposed to conceal (like IT's CC and BE) seemed to puddle in them, just drawing attention.

I've been using Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder which seems to optically diffuse them a BIT, although it is a powder and can settle in if used with too heavy a hand.

I keep meaning to try Skindinavia primer and/or finishing mist, which are supposed to be pretty amazing.

I'm currently pretty happy with Supergoop's CC cream. But nothing is going to take them away except may a treatment like Thermage (and then only make them APPEAR less noticeable).

I take excrutiatingly good care of my skin, but nothing will actually un-stretch the pores IMO. They can't "snap back" like a rubber band, sadly.

If you find the magic answer, please let us know!

Super Contributor

On 7/4/2014 cassiem said:

I personally can't use any primers as I find that silicone-based products tend to accentuate my pores rather than blur them. I also have issues with most foundations and find that mineral powders are the only foundation that doesn't break me out or irritate my skin. (My skin is just not like most people's, I've come to realize.)

What's working really well for me is BE matte foundation applied dry (yes, pores show at this point), then "blended" with a damp sponge. I literally just dab a damp sponge over the areas where the pores are and blend the foundation until I can't see the pores any longer. In a pinch, I've used damp fingers and it works also. I add a touch more foundation powder if necessary. I was pleasantly surprised when I had pictures taken recently and my skin looked flawless (it's definitely not). The matte foundation is new for me, plus I got a new color match at the BE boutique. Am really happy with it.

cassiem, while I was trolling Sephora I found a silicone-free primer - SEPHORA COLLECTION Silicone Free Foundation Primer

I haven't tried it yet, so I can't give a personal review. However, I'm no fan of primers and this is going on my To-Be-Tried List.

Super Contributor

OP, I also struggle with large pores and I find it is a multi-pronged issue to treat.

Skin Care: Using toners and exfoliants on a daily basis. I have used pore refining serums from Clinique & Perricone. Use of a Clarisonic-type device.

Makeup: Use a mattifier on your areas with large pores. Use a primer. Sometimes they can be combined in the same product.

Urban Decay makes several mists that set your MU; one also helps prime it.

Use a HD Invisible Translucent Finishing Powder. I love MUFE from Sephora. Others here love Mally, LM, Tarte.

Use blotting papers during the day if your skin is oily.

Use a foundation geared to hiding your pores. IT's CC is too creamy for your skin. Lioele that Kat mentioned is good. Go to a Sephora and ask the SA for a recommendation and sample. Or go to your dept store to the cosmetics counters. Some SAs will be willing to do a mini-makeover.

do i use a primer first? Im afraid it will roll or melt off

When putting a product on your skin, wait several minutes between layers to allow the product to absorb completely.

Super Contributor

I do suggest using a primer first. Not all primers are great at pore filling, though. Clinique has a pore filler, benefit Porefessional is another. The Bye Bye Pore powder by IT is wonderful, too.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor

Try ""Benefit's the Pore fessional"". I use this and seems to hold up well in the heat.