Esteemed Contributor

Re: Large Eyeshadow Pallettes or Small Sets or Even Singles?

@ECBG  I only wear grey or taupe shadow and it's a rare day to even wear shadow for me. I would have no use for all those colors.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Hello @ECBG . I do purchase smaller palettes, but with shades that have at least 90% I know I'll wear. I stay away from the huge palettes, especially at holiday time.

The packaging is meant to pull you in, the majority of brights will never be worn and sadly, even the higher end cosmetic lines dummy down their formulas to make these large palettes affordable. 

I prefer to use my familiar shades... Some in singles, some in palettes of 4-8 shadows. Those huge ones are not for me. 

@Shanus Exactly!!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I used to be all into those mega kits when I was younger.  Then I realized most of the shadows went unused because they were colors that weren't for me.  

I have still purchased larger kits but I'm more careful now and really look at the color choices.  I bought a large Laura Geller set and every single color in the set is usable however, I just looked at it this morning while using it and realized that if I never buy eyeshadow for the 15 years I bet I wouldn't use this up, especially the deeper crease colors.         

Respected Contributor

Small eye shadow palettes for  me. They are easy to  travel with and they usually have shadows that you would actually use. The bigger ones are to intimidating for me I don't know what to do with it. The smaller ones are easier for me to  use.

Esteemed Contributor

The largest pallette I've bought was the Urban Decay smoky eye, and I don't think I'll ever use all of that.  I'm not sure what I was thinking--guess I was enticed because it was on sale at Sephora.  A pallette of 3 or 4 shades is plenty for me, and even then I tend to not use all of the darkest shade in the quad before I toss it.  I tend to prefer the taupe shades and sometimes a touch of purple to go with my green eyes.

Respected Contributor

Larger pallettes are fun to look at,  but not really useful for me.  I find smaller pallettes of 3 or 4 colors or singles to be the best.   This means more of the color/colors you use and very little of the colors you don't.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too am a sucker for the pretty pallettes...I was just thinking the other day what a waste they are since I only use a few of the colors despite them saying that everyone can wear all the colors....

Respected Contributor

I used to, but now I've realized I really mostly want neutrals. Now I only buy a palette if I think I'll use most of the colors.

I really like the Urban Decay Naked Palettes because most of them do have colors I will use.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy the small pallettes with from 4 to 8 shades. I don't leave any of my makeup sitting out on the bathoom vanity, so it has to be small enough to fit in my makeup bag that I store in a vanity drawer. I use the majority of the shades until they're about gone before I throw it out and buy a new one. Those extra large pallettes just have way too many unusable shades for me!

Honored Contributor

I usually buy a quad or trio in neutral colors. I prefer shades of brown & taupe for a natural subtle eye.