Respected Contributor

Re: Lancome Monsieur Big Mascara!

I believe that I read from Musings that the release date on this is Fall. So HSN must have gotten an early release. Waiting to see the reviews.

Respected Contributor

I usually wear Definicils with another coat of a volumizing mascara over it, but yesterday tried the new Monsieur Big alone and I LOVE it!  Went on fast and easy, super thick and long and black and shiny and soft lashes, did lower ones too with one quick coat. 

No transfer, no flaking, and at night forgot about my eye makeup and rubbed one eye and couldn't even feel the mascara, just soft natural lashes.  The mascara did not rub off either!  

It came off more easily than other mascaras with my usual Bifacil eye makeup remover on a damp cotton pad.  No irritation either which is my biggest mascara problem, so I am definitely hooked.

This one is different from other mascaras I have tried, in a very good way.  Time will tell if I love it after using it a few times, but thought I'd throw in my experience here.

Trusted Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper   Saw your post and my thoughts are the same.  I got a sample from Ulta two weeks ago.  I tend to be a bit of a mascara snob and rarely ever get drugstore makeup except to just try whatever the newest ones are.  Among my faves are Bobbi Brown and Lancome, but this new Lancome mascara is probably THE absolute best I've ever tried.  It comes out later in July (I think that's what the Lancome girl said), and I hope they have a special promo so I can stock up.  This one is goooood.

Just looked on the 'other' shopping channel.  They offer a pre-order.  Mascara is $25 and free shipping.

$25 is ridiculous!

Honored Contributor

It flakes. I received it as a birthday gift from Ulta. It couldn't hold a candle to L'Oreal's Telescopic Carbon Black which is a quarter of the price.

Super Contributor

I am anxious to try Monsieur Big as well! I go back and forth between definicils/volumizing mascara as a top coat by Lancôme ...and l'oreals telescopic carbon black with voluminous as a top coat.

i have long lashes naturally, but always wear mascara because i believe it 'frames' my eyes. I would love to try some of the semi-permanent lash enhancers so I didn't need to wear mascara, but my eyes are super sensitive and I hear that those products weaken your natural lashes, and who wants that?

i am going to get on the list to try Monsieur Big today. 

Respected Contributor

I have to agree, it does flake. However, it does a great job of making lashes look amazing in a swipe or two. I solved the issue by using NYX Proof It on top of it, makes any mascara flake and waterproof.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I got the birthday sample from Ulta.  I've tried this a few times, and so far, I agree... It's a winner!

Respected Contributor

Glad this new mascara is working out so well for some of you.

But before others who haven't actually sampled it shell out 3X the price of Voluminous, you might want to check out the reviews on Makeup Alley. One positive and three negative. I've found MUA opinion consensus pretty much aligns with my own, so I'm going to stick with trying L'Oreal's Voluminous later this month.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleannI was talking about makeup with my aunt and she was telling me how she loves Voluminous and finds it comparible to Definicils.  I generally use Definicils or Hypnois Drama. 

To be honest I'm still missing Marathon Mascara which I used for years and years until it was discontinued!

Respected Contributor

@Roni18   Your comment about that mascara that's no longer around from years ago made me think of one that I remember, maybe you remember it too.  It was called Dial-A-Lash but I can't think of who made it, maybe Maybelline, not sure.  You could actually dial up the brush for a thicker coat.  Sounds crazy but the stuff was really good.  That just took me down Memory Lane!

Any other old products you can remember?  Remember when Dorothy Hamill had that haircut -- was it The Wedge???  She promoted "Short & Sass"y Shampoo and Conditioner!   And "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific."  Sorry to get off the mascara topic.