Frequent Contributor

Re: Lancome Idole Mascara Follow-up

I have used Lancome over years and it's probably one of the best overall. I got the Idole which is nice but it seems to take a few coats. My favorite is Givenchy Couture Noir but I do like the Idole but prefer Hypnose. I find that I must always use a curler with any. A really good mascara is Two Faced Better than Sex. I have so many mascaras and they go bad before I use them up.

Honored Contributor

Just exactly how does a mascara go bad?  I'ver never experienced this and I certainly don't re-cycle them every three months or six months.  I have had them dry out, though.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with you, @LuvmyLab, it's good for a "day off"! 

@Nonametoday, I also use Lancôme Big Monsieur (it has been getting "clumpy" with me lately, as well). Idole did not clump, so it may work for you! 

@depglass , if your mascara dries out, add a drop of contact solution (or an eye drop). It'll get it back to a workable consistency! 

@Icegoddess , I think the Lancôme makes your lashes look longer!  It looks striking on you! 

Frequent Contributor

They dry out or are just old and get gunky. They'll start clumping instead of coating.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Just exactly how does a mascara go bad?  I'ver never experienced this and I certainly don't re-cycle them every three months or six months.  I have had them dry out, though.

With the constant dipping of the wand to your lashes, over time bacteria gets into the mascara. Then you end up reinfecting your lashes with it. So that is why the manufacturers recommend only using a tube every 3 months. It might be worth it to buy the travel sized versions if available. Less expensive so no guilt over tossing them out.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Is you aren't wearing it every day, do you still need to toss it at 3 months? I never do. I have 9 favorite mascaras that I rotate daily.

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@Shanus Is you aren't wearing it every day, do you still need to toss it at 3 months? I never do. I have 9 favorite mascaras that I rotate daily.

@LuvmyLab   I was taught that once the mascara is open, air/bacteria begins to enter the tube. Even if you apply it 10 times in the 3 months, it's sitting closed collecting "germs" IMHO. That's why I don't use dept. store mascara. I don't feel guilty tossing out a $7 L'Oreal that I purchased with coupons or on sale for less than $5 each. 

Frequent Contributor

They dry out and get clumpy.

Valued Contributor

I use the Lancome white primer with any Lancome mascara . I love all of them ,Then I apply a coat of Thrive mascara.

The Idol is good, but the sample I got with the Hsn TSV was dry. I haven't opened the full size one yet.

I have been taken Lessman hair vitamins for many years. Not only they improve my hair and skin,but I believe I have longer eyelashes now.

Honored Contributor

So, Sunday, just for fun, I layered the Lancome Idole mascara over the Belle mascara.  I like the IT Tightline primer especially for that little skinny brush although it does seem to dry out pretty quickly.

Belle + Lancome Idole.jpg