Trusted Contributor

Ladies I need your help....Again...

About a year ago I removed my acrylics and the majority recommended Nailtiques.

I bought the treatment kit and then moved on to Formula 2.  All was well until my nails

got very hard (they say they should be flexable).  So i started using Formula 3.

Didn't have any success with #3.  They are still hard and now the nail on the ring finger

is splitting and I have to file it all the way down as far as I can.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Jamma

Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies I need your help....Again...

@Jamma  You need to go to a professional before you end up with a fungus.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Jamma My suggestion would be minimizing exposure to water and frequent application of a good quality cuticle oil. It will take several months for the nails treated with the hardener to completely grow out to their normal state.

As long as your nail plate isn't lifting from the bed (called onycholysis), I doubt there's any increased risk of fungal infection. It's the open pockets formed by the lifting that make a perfect breeding ground for both fungal and bacterial infections. Repeated or excessive skin exposure to nail hardeners is one of many things that can cause onycholysis. If you do have lifting, it certainly won't hurt to have it evaluated by you physician and (obviously) follow his/her advice regarding appropriate treatment. The good news is that over time the nail plate typically does re-attach.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks juperier there is no lifting of the nail bed and I have stopped using the nailtiques

quite awhile ago.  I have been using cuticle oil.  Thanks again for taking the time to answer me I appreciate it.

Jamma

Trusted Contributor

I think you should have gone down to Formula 1. My nails are very soft naturally so I've never switched off of Formula 2. I'm just afraid to mess with a good thing.