Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies, I have a question about Hair

@CLEM wrote:

I hardly ever come here to post because my beauty days are behind me, but I thought this would be the right place to ask.

What is the difference between curls and ringlets?

I have lots of thick hair which has a wave in places also have a number of callics(sp) which all makes my hair a bit hard to manage.  Back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I had a perm which allowed me to control my hair and still look good.

Now I have decided to get a perm to go back to those days.  I know it is not the style, but I myself went out of fashion a while back.  As it turned out I got these ringlets and they look okay when my hair stylist does it, but I am not very skilled.  

Would she need to use a different product to perm my hair?  Hope this all doesn't sound too rediculous.

@CLEM wrote:

I hardly ever come here to post because my beauty days are behind me, but I thought this would be the right place to ask.

What is the difference between curls and ringlets?

I have lots of thick hair which has a wave in places also have a number of callics(sp) which all makes my hair a bit hard to manage.  Back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I had a perm which allowed me to control my hair and still look good.

Now I have decided to get a perm to go back to those days.  I know it is not the style, but I myself went out of fashion a while back.  As it turned out I got these ringlets and they look okay when my hair stylist does it, but I am not very skilled.  

Would she need to use a different product to perm my hair?  Hope this all doesn't sound too rediculous.

@CLEM  There are 2 kinds of perm rods: small ones give a tight, ringlet type curl. On the other hand, slightly larger rods can be used to produce a looser perm. Same perm solution is used with both rods. 

Honored Contributor

@CLEM,   If you were to use electric rollers, that would straighten your hair some but still have waves.  You want ringlets?  I would think you wash it and let it dry naturally,  You also use a product on your damp hair for curls.  that's my two cents.  And, remember one thing, you are as young as you feel.  Fix your hair, wear a little lipstick and you will feel so much better.

HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

You sound like you have very nice hair!  Before I made the decision to go for a perm, I would make a consultation with a good stylist and express your concerns.  I agree with the comments made because as we get older our hair does not always respond the same way to treatments and processes as it did when we were younger.  

There are a lot of new things and products that the stylist could talk to you about.  Perhaps just cutting your hair a certain way to help tame the cowlicks and benefit the type of hair you have.  Also, since you have somewhat curly hair, there are lots of products especially for your type of hair and the stylist could help you choose which products to use which would suit and enhance your curl.

Don't give up!  I'm sure a bit of an update will make you feel like a million bucks!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies for all your helpful responses.  There were a number of things that were different with my recent perm.

1.  The perm solution was in my hair for only 20 minutes and did not set under heat at all.  I do remember it being longer and under a heat lamp (don't know the exact word of it).  I did question this , but was told it was no longer that long, but I think I need it.  

2.  The rollers were all the same thickness (all thin rollers)  I do remember them being different thicknesses.

3.  The neutralizer seems to be the same as it used to be.

She is the same hairdresser I had back in the 80s and 90s, but she told me that she hasn't done this in a long time.  When I see her next time for a cut, I will discuss this with her.  Together we'll get it right next time in a few months.

Currently my hair is not quite chin length.

Your answers were very helpful.  Thanks again.