Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies, 55+, do you think that....

I really do not believe in anti-aging products. Yes, they will minimize wrinkles but you will still have them. When I was younger my skin was in excellent condition. No acne ever. Once in a blue moon I would get a zit at that time of month. I used Nozema to clean my face, never wore foundation until I was in my upper 50's. I wear foundation now because of broken capillaries which most of us experience with age. I like a tinted moisturizer or a light/med. foundation both oil=free. My skin is not dry and I am loving Neutrogena's Pore Refining facial wash as it really cleans my skin without drying it. There were other products I really liked but they cannot compare to Neutrogena's product. My mother had beautiful skin. I really think it's more with the genes than the products.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 LABoheme said:

I have always taken good care of my skin, so I'm not sure if all the current products would have made a difference. When I was younger, I couldn't have afforded them anyway. What I do wish I had is the knowledge of what the sun does to skin. I was born and raised in Southern California before good faux tanners were around and when tans were practically a requirement. My sister and I used to cook ourselves in baby oil, which, as we now know, is not a good thing, especially for a green-eyed, fair-skinned blonde like me. I quit doing that in my 20's, but there is still some damage.

Sitting in the sun would give me a hideous sunburn and often I would get faint and throw up. It used to be so frustrating for me because everyone else on the beach was so tan, and my own sister always had a beautiful tan (but she did get a lot of wrinkles later in life). I would have to wear all white, a hat, sunglasses (which I always wear anyway) and sit under an umbrella. There was no sunscreen in those days. Three of my beach babies would tan, but my oldest always had to wear white tee shirts and she hated that. It was hard because we were always on the beach. My oldest had to have a chemical peel a few years ago because of several skin cancers on her face. I doubt she goes to the beach anymore.

However, I'm glad now because I have no wrinkles. I have sags and my neck doesn't look too great, but no wrinkles on my face.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I am in the banking industry and I see everyone's date of birth I assist. Here's my opinion:

1. Part of looking good when you age is in your genes. My mom looked very young all of her life.

2. Don't smoke. The obvious smokers do look older.

3. Get the right amount of sleep. People who work 3rd shift their entire life look older. I don't believe our bodies were meant to work nights.

4. Don't overdo the alcohol. The heavy drinkers look older. Drink water instead of soda and booze.

5. And last, eat properly. People who eat tons of processed foods and hardly any fruits/veggies do not look healthy.

I omitted one - a little color on your skin from the sun is ok. Baking in it and using tanning beds ruins one's skin. I just got back from my annual derm appointment (once a year whole body checkup) and she asked about tanning beds and sunscreen.

Honored Contributor

I think skin care helps a little. Unless you're prepared to have surgery, yes.... I think it is an uphill battle! I accept whatever age I am at and seem to be content with it. I won't say I have never obsessed about my looks...because I am sure at times I did. Now, I just accept what is . Health and peace of mind is something I work more toward now and derive more happiness from.

Occasional Contributor

I think our skin issues would be worse. So many of these anti aging ingredients are actually irritating leaving us more prone to sun damage, redness,and accelerated aging. Diet is extremely important. So is a relaxation practice and sleep.
Valued Contributor

I'm 60, and I think the biggest factor in keeping your skin great looking back then was that you stayed out of the sun and didn't smoke. Unfortunately, at the time I was in my teens and 20's the research on the damage the two do to your skin wasn't out there yet. My complexion looks pretty darn good for my age, and I think it's because I really, really hated sunbathing (I got teased for being pale, but now I'm smiling) and I quit smoking when I was 22.

I have found there are distinct wrinkle patterns in a smoker's face, that I have seen as early as their mid-twenties. I can always spot the celebrities that do it. Just look at closeup pictures of Joanne Froggatt (Anna) from Downton Abbey, who is 35. She states she started smoking in her late teens.

Honored Contributor

Surgery is what I think has helped women look younger than they did in my grandmother's time. All the emphasis on skin care products if over hyped in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

The only thing that I think would have made a difference is the use of sunscreen in products. Otherwise, all those products are not necessary. Use a good cleanser, exfoliator, moisturizer, and a serum if needed, and be done with it.