Occasional Contributor

La Mer vs. Sisley - Oily Skin

My skin gets very oily throughout the day and I break out often. Has anyone tried La Mer's 'The Oil Absorbing' Tonic and Lotion or Sisley's 'Tropical Resin Complex'? I feel like I'd be paying more for the name a little with La Mer and Sisley would help with acne and oil more than La Mer. Has anyone tried one of these and are they worth the money? Right now I buy too many skincare and body products that I don't need, so I'd rather just have 1 good product instead of X amount of body products I don't need and X amount of skincare products that break me out because they aren't great and I use to many.

Thanks, and please don't call me crazy for wanting to pay so much. My understanding is that high end products last a lot longer than cheap ones. I've used 2 oz moisturizer jars of lower end brand and I have to buy 2+ a year, but 2 oz of La Mer lasts many people over a year.

Edit: They don't have to be these products, any of either of the brands you are pleased with or displeased with would be helpful, and also another brand/ product you would recommend, Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: La Mer vs. Sisley - Oily Skin

Before you spend all that money go to Beautypedia.com and read what is said about those products. They are both rated Poor. If you choose to try them go to a store that you can return or get samples.

Occasional Contributor

I do plan on getting samples of both before I buy because NM doesn't typically take returns I take what Paula says with a grain of salt because she has her own line, and also because I've seen many people have great success with products she rates as 'Poor'. Also, nearly all cult favorites are rated poor while discountinued products are always rated the best. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit: I looked on Makeup Alley and both are rated 4+, so I think I'll try them.

Respected Contributor

I would see how long the LE Mer (or anything) is recommended to be open. I wouldn't use a cream after a year of being open if it's only recommended to be open for 6 months. If it's going to last that long, I'd buy a smaller size. I don't have oily skin, so I don't have any good recs, but I'm sure you'll get some here, and they will most likely save you some money.
Respected Contributor

Oh, and there are stores that a WILL take returns on skincare, so you might buy from them, in the case that you are unable to get samples.
Occasional Contributor

My NM is very good about samples and is the only store within 100 miles that sells La Mer or Sisley, so If I want to purchase elsewhere it will have to be online.

Also, I believe that La Mer's is in a pump bottle and Sisley's in a pump tube, so they won't be exposed to the air. Now that is one good thing that I have learned from Paula Begoun. I think that a jar of moisturizer opened for a year would be bad, but I don't think it's as bad as she acts like it is. Also, just because an ingredient can irritate skin doesn't mean it will. Benzoyl Peroxide dries most people's skin out but I can put it all over my face and it will only dry out a little during the worst parts of winter.

Honored Contributor

I used Sisley for years, and still use a few (very few) products. This is only because i found something that works for me a little better, at a little cost reduction. I swore by the Antiaging Global Cream for years. When I started out it was 220 a jar, now it is 480. I found something else, but still like it if it was cheaper. Please try Cosco online for Sisley Paris, they have about 5 or 6 items always at about 1/2 off dept store price. They might have the Tropical Resin . IMO Sisley makes the best mascara and the Biological Night Serum is to die for. The Night Serum is used for everynight for 30days once or twice a year.

I would take Paula with a grain of salt, most of her Sisley reviews are from 2005, and she hates Sisley. Deside for yourself.

I didn't like the tropical resin complex myself as I have dry/normal, but very sensitive skin, and I do not like a matte finish. Some of the products with sage I cannot use. However, it sounds right up your alley. The recommendation to call a Neiman store, or go in to the Sisley counter there and get samples is a good one. They are generous with samples. No matter what Paula says, it is a good product for most people. Not all cosmetics have to have exfollients, contain retinols, antioxidents and such. For hundreds of years humans have been using plant based skin care and potions. It works a different way. Everyone skin is different, we each have have a unique diet, environment, stress factors and most of all a unique DNA...so what works for one will not work for another. It is expensive, but if it works, and it is in your budget, then what the hay? Personally I am fed up and tired of the issue of cost in skin care by posters. If a person wants to spend their money that way, so be it. I loved the smell of LaMer, and the feel of my skin after using it, but it clogged my pores after 2 weeks. I used sisley creams for 12 years with no problem. My skin felt like smooth satin after applying it!!

Respected Contributor

I use the Crème de la Mer and this is a go to cream for me. I personally don't care a fig what Paula Begoun says, I pay attention to what my skin says. I would try to get into a better dept. store to get a sample from La Mer of the products you would like to sample. I order either from Nordstrom or directly from La Mer website/phone. Good luck on your search and don't be discouraged.

Occasional Contributor

I've been wanting to try the Oil Absorbing Tonic so I may order that and get a sample of the Lotion on La Mer.com, I didn't really think of that. But I'd have to try the Sisley before committing to anything. Sisley's Tropical Resins toner is more expensive than La Mer's, so I must consider that. Also, I think I'd probably only use this as a day moisturizer and not use it at night. Because my skin is so oily, would it be okay to only use a Retinol treatment, or should I still use a moisturizer as well?

Respected Contributor

ct, looks like you've had some other responses that were helpful. Smiley Happy As for the retinol...it will totally depend. Everyone's skin reacts differently to it. You can buy an OTC retinol product (I Love: Paula's Choice, Dr Dennis gross retinol and ferulic PTR, and Alpha hydrox retinol res-Q. Also, Isomers Retiniacin has worked really well for me). I do, however, have more dry skin, so I have to use moisturizer no matter what. When you first start out, you could add a drop of oil (I'm an avid oil user -- they have completely helped my skin!!) to buffer the retinol some, depending on how your skin reacts. Honestly, though, I would do every other night for a week or two (or three) and then slowly move to every night, to see how your skin reacts. Some people aren't fans of retinol, but four things I wouldn't be without: Vit C, SPF, oils, and a Retinol. HTH!!