Contributor

LOWLIGHTING GREY(WHITE) HAIR

I am thinking about "enhancing" my snowy white hair.  I've read a few articles and looked at several photos on the subject of lowlighting hair.  Has anyone tried this?  I really don't want to just dump a bottle of hair color on my head and end up with a solid color and grow out.  Feed back please.

Honored Contributor

Re: LOWLIGHTING GREY(WHITE) HAIR

Why would you want to do this and how does it "enhance"  your hair? It's hard to visualize what you're talking about.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@fritzee wrote:

I am thinking about "enhancing" my snowy white hair.  I've read a few articles and looked at several photos on the subject of lowlighting hair.  Has anyone tried this?  I really don't want to just dump a bottle of hair color on my head and end up with a solid color and grow out.  Feed back please.

I googled it...and it seems like highlights of darker grey w/the lighter grey.........i liked it....i would def get it done

professionally though.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fritzeeGray hair is the big craze right now.  If you want to add lowlights go to a professional salon and get it done right.  Better to be safe than sorry.   I am fortunate to have salt and pepper hair. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Contributor

I’ve had it done professionally for several years now and receive many compliments. My circumstances are a little different. I had dark brown hair in my youth which grayed minimally in the back and heavily around my face. After tiring of getting highlights and lowlights to blend the graying dark in the back and the white in the front, I left the whole area around my face go naturally white and now go to the salon every 10 weeks and just add dark lowlights in the back as it grays naturally. My hair is shoulder length and I’m in my early sixties.

Esteemed Contributor

Heredity has blessed me.  I have silver white hair and have had that color for a very long time.  I get compliments because my hair is shiny, curly, full and solid.  I don't use product and I don't dry with a dryer. I wash and wear LOL.  It dries...  My only interest would be to add a crazy color around holidays.. as in Orange for Halloween or Red/Green for Christmas. 

I think you should try out what you have said and see how you feel about it. 

Honored Contributor

I like like low lighting done on gray hair, but IMO, it must be done professionally.  It would almost be impossible to do yourself and havbe it look nice,

My gray hair naturally has high lights and low lights.  People ask me all of time " who colors your hair?"

IMG_0135.JPGIMG_0303.JPGIMG_0304.JPG

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have grey hair not white and have been having low lights put in for several,years now.  MY hair is now almost all grey and not attractive.  TO be honest I am not interested in coloring it.  I find that coloring hair when you get to be a certain age is very fake and phony looking. I don't mind growing grey but not all grey.  I prefer that salt and pepper look and I achieve that with some lowlights.  I have it done every other month.  I get my hair cut monthly.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why would you want to do this and how does it "enhance"  your hair? It's hard to visualize what you're talking about.

Hi @Kachina624,

A hair stylist had explained this to me as an option to fully coloring my hair.

She said that she could just add a few foils with low-lights to my hair, to make it look like it was high-lighted, instead. 

With my hair, I'm graying mostly in the front, with the rest of my natural hair being dark blond underneath still, towards the back of my head.

It would look kind of like the photos that are posted in this thread already, except that my hair is dark blond, instead. 

Editing to say that I think that it's done to have a more blended look for your hair with the two colors as you're graying, as opposed to having more gray in the front, and then more dark hair either underneath or towards the back of your head, such as I have. 

It was suggested as a different styling option for me too, as my hair is very fine and also thinning, and this stylist mentioned that this would also help my hair a bit.

I'm not opposed to the way that my hair is graying, as it's more of a silver color as opposed to anything harsh, and with my own natural dark blond, it does blend in.

I would consider the low-lights if I wanted to change things up a bit, though. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Five years ago stopped coloring my hair while looking on YouTube came across TwoMinuteTips-Sharon former makeup artist shares several ideas for grey hair including high and low shades using hair extensions highly recommend checking out her channel. Love my grey hair in the process of growing long and receive compliments.