Honored Contributor

LOOK 10 YEARS YOUNGER IF.....

I am so tired of skincare and makeup ads promising to make us look 10 years younger. Even if they delivered, it sets us up to feel badly about the age we are now. 

These companies play on our insecurities and I see no changes in site. How do you feel about this?

Honored Contributor

Re: LOOK 10 YEARS YOUNGER IF.....

@Shanus wrote:

I am so tired of skincare and makeup ads promising to make us look 10 years younger. Even if they delivered, it sets us up to feel badly about the age we are now. 

These companies play on our insecurities and I see no changes in site. How do you feel about this?

These claims make me laugh. I just want to look the best I can for my age.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

These claims make me laugh. I just want to look the best I can for my age.

@QVCkitty1  If a client says, "I want to look younger", I let her know up front that I'm a makeup artist, not a magician. I CAN, however teach her to look like a better version of herslf, but still natural.

Honored Contributor

Just the other night hubby and I were waiting for the TSV for the day to come on and they had some sort of oil on. I don't remember if it was QVC or HSN.  They were talking about how it made the (older) model look 10 years younger.   I looked at my husband and asked did he think it made her look 10 years younger?  "No."  Plus, you have to remember that putting any oil or lotion on skin will make it look different than skin that doesn't haver any on it.  I hate those side by side comparisons like that, often using their hand. 

But, I'll admit it does make me feel good when someone looks at me with a surprised look on their face when I tell them my age.  And it has happened with people I have been around awhile, although sometimes I think it has a lot to do with how I don't act old, as in I'm still quite active.  I can still squat down and get back up with no problem.

Honored Contributor

I recognize them for what they are, and they are not the kind of untruths that bother me.  I

Honored Contributor

I recall reading articles back when the "baby boomer generation" was beginning to turn 40 .... on the topic of the growing market for anti-aging products.  I guess it was late 1980..   (I'm pre-baby boomer.)

-------------------------------------------------

I think it could be dangerous for women who are already insecure about themselves.  

Women in my family have aged fairly well.  Guess we lucked out on inheriting good genes.

Honored Contributor

I find it rather amusing that everyone focuses on THE FACE.... your body ages everywhere. It is hardly just the face that makes us look old.  Hands...our shape...or stance...our hair...so many other parts of us. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Ten years younger" is quite relative in that 10 years for one person may have more damage than another.

@Icegoddess If you were to back 10 years, my Dear, you would be a teenager!  Your skin is beautiful!Smiley Happy 

I'll bet that's the case with others here whom we haven't seen.

Valued Contributor

I don’t think anything short of cosmetic surgery is able to make someone look ten years younger.  I just want to look the best I can for my age..

Of all the potions, creams, etc I have tried, I find some of the The Ordinary products and a good retinol is best for my skin.

Honored Contributor

Take a look at some of the topics on this board. There is a current one in  Fashion right now about clothing that makes people look old.  How many times have posters commented on clothing or a hairstyle looking "old lady."  

Somehow being old is frowned upon and looked at as something to be shameful of instead of something to be embraced.  I'm happy to be aging.  It means I'm on the right side of the grass.