Esteemed Contributor

Re: LOL is all this really necessary?!!

I think drinking water...eating right, staying out of the sun and genetics make the big difference in your skin......then a good cleanser and moisturizer...

Respected Contributor

Not only not ecessary, but a lot of hooey... They prey on our desire to look good and stay young loooking-  As Reiki said above, just need basics. The rest is genetics anyway and can’t be changed.  Why else do all the stars with the bucks ALL have to have prof work done to stay looking good?  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with others that consistency is extremely important.  Don't jump from one product one week to different products or brands the next week.  Find a skin care routine and products that your skin likes and stick with them every day (whether you use 1 product or 20 products).

I use the same 5 products for my face and neck (some at night, some in the morning) every day...... and let genetics, healthy diet, and exercise do the rest.  If your body is healthy and you have a good attitude, it will show on your face.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I cleanse with either a facial wipe or Cetaphil...no separate eye makeup remover, either.

I use a gentle scrub maybe once a week.

I moisturize from my forehead to my decollete chest with the same product...nothing special for different areas.

I don't use sunscreen unless I know I'm going to be outside for more than 30 minutes (which is very rare for me).

I'm 62, and I have some fine lines and a few light brown spots on my cheekbones from sunning as a teenager (stopped that when I went to work at 19). I'm generally pretty happy with my skin.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom has really great skin. 64 and no wrinkles. She has always just washed and moisturized with olay. That is it.  I have good skin when I take care of it. I really do need all the steps or my skin gets dry and just does not look good. When I do all the steps it always looks terrific.

Respected Contributor

In defense of all of us beauty junkies our lifestyles and the environment have changed and not necessarily for the good. So I guess we feel that we need much more than our mothers and grandmothers used. However, I am coming to the realization that many of these serums aren't really necessary. Retinol or Retin A and Vitamin  are all that is necessary. For those of us with dry skin an emollient moisturizer. The biggie is sunscreen. I am 68 and did not wear it daily until I retired. I worked in an office with  no windows and just did not think it was necessary. Plus I drove to work in the dark and came home when it was dark. Since retiring in 2011 it is an important part of my daily routine. 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I was looking at all of the products I have and got to thinking OMG is all this stuff really necessary!? lol!!!!

I remember that my Mom and Aunt and many others years ago washed their face with soap and used a moisturizer and that was all.  Smiley Happy

This is what I have:  Day Cream, Night Cream, AM Cleanser, PM Cleanser, Eye Cream, Eyelid Cream, Toner, Serums, Primer, Lip Plumper, Lip Primer, Self Tanner, Derma Peel, Oils including Argan Oil,  Cream for Lines and Wrinkles, Neck Cream, Lifting Creams, NuFace, Wrinkle Mask, Lip Mask, Lip Scrub, Body Cleanser, Hyaluronic Acid.

Might be more I forgot to list lol. Of course I do not use every one of these things every day.

Does anyone else have/use all these type products too?!!

Once I use this all up I have decided to scale way back and it will be alot less costly too Smiley Wink Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

@CherryHugs

Interesting list.  Can you tell me why you need two different cleansers ... AM and PM?    What's the difference?

Honored Contributor

I love Skin Care and Makeup. Always have and always will...I just have a passion for it.However, I have somewhat simplified my routine.

Cleanse(Dr. Perricone-AM, Purity-PM)

Tone- Elemis Apricot Toner

Serum-Dr. Perricone

Moisturize-Dr. Perricone(face and eye).

That's it for skincare, and it takes all of 2 minutes.....I do not use wrinkle creams and lifting creams, but I do have a neck cream, and when I remember I use that as well, but I really don't believe you need all of those separate products......

Once a week I do exfoliate and do a mask. Mostly because I love how clean my face feels after a mask.

I have really good skin, but it is mostly good genes.I do take care of it, and have since I have been about 14, so I am sure that has helped as well..

I think the main thing is cleansing your skin well and keeping it moisturized and using an SPF.....

I love having a facial once in a while, because they use so many nice products and it feels so good. It is a nice treat....... 

Trusted Contributor

@CherryHugs

I laughed when I read your post Smiley Happy 

My mom used Ponds Cold Cream - that was it.  She rarely wore makeup; ususally only lipstick.  She had awesome skin. 

Me?  My skin looks great, but like you, I use serums, night and day creams, eye cream, Derma-Peel, SKINN masks (I usually use them 3x week), Philosophy's face wash, argon oil.  And I also eat right and drink a ton of water.  And exercise daily. 

Makes me wonder how the heck I fit it all in!

Trusted Contributor

And one other thing besides skin care, lots of water and exercise....I swear by the Facial Flex.  Q used to sell it, but now you can go on their website to purchase the unit and the bands.