Respected Contributor

L'oreal True Match foundation - regular vs Lumi

Can someone tell me the difference between the two?  And what kind of skin type you are?  If you have tried both which do you prefer?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: L'oreal True Match foundation - regular vs Lumi

I have used both and both are excellent products!! I prefer Lumi as it leaves a more radiant finish. It has a slight luminuzibg effect, but does not at all look the least bit glittery; it just leaves a nice subtle glow. I LOVE the Lumi foundation....I think it's one f the very best foundations that you can buy at any price (better than Chanel, Dior, Laura Mercier, etc).

Honored Contributor

I have oily skin.........and I prefer the "original" formula.    Have worn it since it first hit the market!   I agree that it's better than anything else.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have been wearing the Lumi version for a month or so and really like it. I don't consider it dewy or shiny at all. It's more of a satin finish. That said, if you very oily skin, the original might be better, although a light dusting of powder just might make the Lumi acceptable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

Can someone tell me the difference between the two?  And what kind of skin type you are?  If you have tried both which do you prefer?

Thanks.

True match comes in a wide range of colors and the Lumi line comes in far fewer.  That makes Lumi harder to match correctly. While the finish is nice, I felt like the Lumi was  too shiny in spots. It also broke me out. The original True Match is easier to get in the right shade. When I want a more luminous look to any foundation, I use the Magic Lumi primer and add that into my own foundation. I can use that all over or use a layer of foundation and then the foundation mixed with Magic Lumi over that in only the areas I want a glow. I can also use the Magic Lumi as a highlighter.

My preference is to add the Magic Lumi primer to foundations I already know I love and that match me and leave the Lumi Foundation on the shelf.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a sample of Lancôme Teint Miracle which has a luminescence after it was applied. I didn't like it. I own the L'Oreal True Match foundation and prefer that one. I think the Lumi and the Teint Miracle are probably similar. Edited to add I have normal skin.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies.  I wear the regular True Match (thanks to a poster awhile ago) and love it! I love that I can build coverage over the areas that I need it. Sometimes I wonder if I don't need something a little more moisturizing because I am on the dry side, but I have an oily nose.  I do like the sound of a "satin finish" though.  Since it's not horribly expensive to begin with I think I'll give it a try.  I'll also check out the primer.

Respected Contributor

You're right - the shade selection isn't as good.  I wonder why they couldn't at least number them the same as the regular.  I'm N2 Classic Ivory (perfect match!) and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

You're right - the shade selection isn't as good.  I wonder why they couldn't at least number them the same as the regular.  I'm N2 Classic Ivory (perfect match!) and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best.

@RainyDayGal, I have a feeling that's what I would have been in the original. For some reason they combined 1 and 2 in the Lumi. So I did buy N 1-2.

Fortunately, it works very well for me. But I do think that they should have a separate N1 and N2. I will say that this foundation does tend to run a tad dark. This is the first time I've ever bought the very lightest shade; normally, I am one shade up. But as I said, it works well for me.

I had tried N 3 and and probably could have gotten away with it. But I prefer the N 1-2.

It's a popular formula, so I bet they will be adding new shades.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two more questions - is there any retional or anti-aging ingredients in this?  It doesn't have SPF does it?