Esteemed Contributor

Re: L'Oreal Magic Root Cover Up Spray - usage tips, please

@PilatesLover 

With the L'Oreal Magic Root coverup spray, you need to shake the can very well before using it. Also it's meant to use on dry hair not wet hair. I have used it on wet or damp hair on my part to disguise gray roots and that will leave that area feeling crunchy.

Similar to dry shampoo the residue from the root touch up spray will make your hair feel dirty the next day. It is too difficult to use around the hairline as you can get overspray on your skin and an un-natural looking hairline. Don't spray it to close to your hair if you are spraying a gray part, spray it at least 3 inches away.

To disguise gray around the hairline use a powder like Joan Rivers Great Hair Day or one made by Clairol Root Touch up concealing powder.

Respected Contributor

Rita Hazan's root cover is a powder that really works. First time I used it fooled my colorist. Got it on Amazon; Sephora carries it. The Q used to.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @ScrapHappy about how to use it.  It can have a tendency to either sputter or spray too much.  Getting the right amount of spray can be difficult.  I try not to use it really close to my face.  I generally use it on my parts.  I also hold my hair down in the area I'm aiming at when I do it.  Sometimes I feel like it covers the part too much, so I'll just run a Q-tip along the part so it doesn't look weird.  I have never tried using it in the area around my ears.  As far as the cowlick in the back goes, I have what I call swirlies back there and I just lift the hair up and spray.  I do have an advantage of having full-length mirror closet doors right next to my vanity, so no problem seeing the back of my head to do it.  

Respected Contributor

My experience with some of the touch-ups is that you must wash it out if you are going to color your hair or else the dye will not penetrate.  Made the mistake once of going to the salon with the root touch-up in.  I figured the professional color would penetrate the hair.  It didn't.  Color didn't take and had to re-do.

Honored Contributor

Yes, definitely wash out all of these kinds of products before coloring. 

Respected Contributor

@danedylan Do the shades run true?  Or should I order a lighter or darker color than what I think I need?

Super Contributor

I second the Clairol powder. Works greats
Respected Contributor

@3blackdogs Do the shades run true?  Or should I order a lighter or darker color than what I think I need?

Super Contributor

2 answer ur question--my hair is highlighted--I like when the roots r darker--so I bought the medium color--the highlighed color and the darker roots make it seem that I have more hair than I do--it works 4 me--I just checked mine but it dosen't have a color bought--so I'll say I bought the medium------------------marynj