Respected Contributor

L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift 10% Pure Vitamin C Serum review

I bought this product a while ago, excited to try a vitamin c serum that had L-ascorbic acid in it, in a more stable anhydrous base that would therefore not oxidize so quickly, plus was reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, this didn't work too well for me.  I guess if I was to use nothing but this on a clean, dry face, it might be ok but, if you want to apply moisturizer, sunscreen and bb cream/foundation over it, forget it.  This serum sits on your face and appears to form a film that doesn't really sink into your skin.  When I try to wash it off my hand after applying it, it's very difficult to wash off as it leaves a silicone-type film, much the same as those handcreams that are designed to stay on after several hand washings.  When I tried applying other products on my face, even after allowing time for this product to dry or "set" on my skin, they just balled up and rolled off. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift 10% Pure Vitamin C Serum review

@Texasmouse

Thank you for the warning!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse  Thank you for this review.  Mixed blessing....the good: a company that promotes animal cruelty sells a produce that doesn't work so fewer people will buy it...the bad:  a precious animal suffered to make this happen.

Honored Contributor

Well that's too bad @Texasmouse. Was hoping you'd have a good experience with it. So what's down the road for you? Anything else in your sight? 

If you recall, I formulated a new VC serum using MAP instead of AA. So far my skin agrees with it and it feels less dry. I suspect that maybe my previous AA was a bit too acidic and somewhat irritating so the new MAP is much more gentle in comparison. 

OT...Did you get the Olivella serum? 

Respected Contributor

Yes, @SilleeMee I may have to look into the MAP options because I can't deal with stressing over oxidation.  I have enough stress in my life. Woman LOL Are there any on the market that are good formulations, to your knowledge? (I know you make your own but you might have seen some with good ingredients.)

I received the Olivella serum but sent it back because, unfortunately, this didn't work for me either.  It felt like a thick oil that also didn't want to sink in (hmm... sensing a recurring problem) and I was also iffy about using the essential oils on my skin, which is contraindicated by a derm whose advice I follow.

I guess my quest continues. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse

It's a difficult choice to make for me when it comes to picking out a VC serum sold at retail. But there's one which my derm uses on me right after my laser treatments...SkinCeuticals. But be ready for the jaw-dropping price of $166 for 1-ounce bottle.Woman Surprised Derm said it's one of the best formulations out there as well as a best-seller in the market. The price is prohibitive for me. But the point here it to show you their formulation of VC, E and ferulic acid as an effective and stable combination in a serum. You may want to look for a less expensive option which contains similar ingredients. Key ingredients would include vit E and ferulic acid, both which help stabilize and boost the VC which, in this case, is the AA form of C.  For a good blog to read about choosing a VC serum, Dermstore dot com blog tab has good reads. Search Vitamin C serum.

Sorry the Olivella didn't work out for you. I know the EOs contained in that product can be of concern for some people. But those oils are not your typical EOs. No need to further explain if it wasn't for you. I understand.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Texasmouse

It's a difficult choice to make for me when it comes to picking out a VC serum sold at retail. But there's one which my derm uses on me right after my laser treatments...SkinCeuticals. But be ready for the jaw-dropping price of $166 for 1-ounce bottle.Woman Surprised Derm said it's one of the best formulations out there as well as a best-seller in the market. The price is prohibitive for me. But the point here it to show you their formulation of VC, E and ferulic acid as an effective and stable combination in a serum. You may want to look for a less expensive option which contains similar ingredients. Key ingredients would include vit E and ferulic acid, both which help stabilize and boost the VC which, in this case, is the AA form of C.  For a good blog to read about choosing a VC serum, Dermstore dot com blog tab has good reads. Search Vitamin C serum.

Sorry the Olivella didn't work out for you. I know the EOs contained in that product can be of concern for some people. But those oils are not your typical EOs. No need to further explain if it wasn't for you. I understand.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee I’ve used this Skinceuticals Vit.C, too for many years until the price became ridiculously high. My derm recommended Obagi C 10% (10% or 15%) as a great  alternative. I use 10%...the 15% was too strong since I use Retin A and acid peel pads.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I have tried one of those less-expensive serums that compare to the Skinceutical one (namely the one from Timeless which is said to be a dupe) but there's still the oxidation problem.  I guess I was looking for suggestions on a serum that contains MAP instead.  Do you know of any that might be good?

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I bought this product a while ago, excited to try a vitamin c serum that had L-ascorbic acid in it, in a more stable anhydrous base that would therefore not oxidize so quickly, plus was reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, this didn't work too well for me.  I guess if I was to use nothing but this on a clean, dry face, it might be ok but, if you want to apply moisturizer, sunscreen and bb cream/foundation over it, forget it.  This serum sits on your face and appears to form a film that doesn't really sink into your skin.  When I try to wash it off my hand after applying it, it's very difficult to wash off as it leaves a silicone-type film, much the same as those handcreams that are designed to stay on after several hand washings.  When I tried applying other products on my face, even after allowing time for this product to dry or "set" on my skin, they just balled up and rolled off. Woman Sad

@Texasmouse  Leaving a silicone-like film is not good. That means, to me, it never sinks into your skin. Oxidation: be sure not to touch dropper to your hand or face. Contact on the skin will cause any Vit. C serum to oxidize sooner. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus I bought this serum on the premise that since the ascorbic acid wasn't in a water base, it would last longer in the tube without oxidizing. In the case of this product, it's in a squeeze tube so it's easier to control the amount you dispense, plus there's no dropper to worry about. 

That's all irrelevant now though, since the silicone base didn't work out for me anyway, so I continue my search. 

I wonder if this product actually worked for anyone.  As I said in my initial post, maybe if one was to use it alone, but that's not practical in my case, since I would layer at least a sunscreen on top.