Honored Contributor

Re: L ASCORBATE VS SODIUM ASCORBIC PHOSPHATE??

Note when using VIT.C: use the dropper or dispense tiny amount into your hand and then apply to face. If the dropper goes directly on face and repeatedly back  into the bottle, for some reason, it turns yellow (inactive) much faster. @SilleeMee  may be able to give some insight on that. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee   I haven't figured out why, but different serums, all L-Ascorbic Acid 20% are different on my skin...some stronger than others. I've had some that irritated and burned my face and had to be returned. I do pay more for the OBAGI PROFESSIONAL C 20%, but it seems to work w/o the irritation. Do you have an explanation?

@Shanus 

I wish I knew the answer. It's sort of an art when making the perfect formulation of VC serum. Some absorb better than others. I think finding the right one for your skin can be challenging...I don't enjoy trial and error, especially when it comes to skincare. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee   I haven't figured out why, but different serums, all L-Ascorbic Acid 20% are different on my skin...some stronger than others. I've had some that irritated and burned my face and had to be returned. I do pay more for the OBAGI PROFESSIONAL C 20%, but it seems to work w/o the irritation. Do you have an explanation?

@Shanus 

I wish I knew the answer. It's sort of an art when making the perfect formulation of VC serum. Some absorb better than others. I think finding the right one for your skin can be challenging...I don't enjoy trial and error, especially when it comes to skincare. 

@SilleeMee   Yes, trial and error is an expensive game. I find skincare that works and stay with it...never look for the next best/new things coming out. I know some women purchase new skincare lines or products every week/month. It would take 6-8 weeks for them to see results. That's such an expensive experiment.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Note when using VIT.C: use the dropper or dispense tiny amount into your hand and then apply to face. If the dropper goes directly on face and repeatedly back  into the bottle, for some reason, it turns yellow (inactive) much faster. @SilleeMee  may be able to give some insight on that. 

@Shanus 

I agree about the application. Don't let the dropper come in contact with your skin. Contamination can lead to premature deterioration of most any product.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus 

I think it has to do with the buffering ingredients. Plus, the pH has to be relatively low. (Devita's was 2.5.) This may account for a product's effectiveness and our own sensitivity to it.

I had to search for an L-ascorbic when Devita quit making theirs (17%). And like others, I did not want to pay too much! (Sometimes, for reasons, I do draw the line there...!)

Anyway, I am using the Timeless. (Still have to check on the pH of that.) But I am also using Devita's new Lux C with the THD. I use both! The THD in the p.m., and both in the a.m.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've noticed that most of the L-ascorbate serums I've tried in the past have mostly felt sticky on my skin and I believe it's b/c L-ascorbate, being so unstable, requires so much glycol-type additives to stabilize it from oxidizing.  For that reason I prefer not to use a VC serum with L-ascorbate but one with it's oil version THD ascorbate, THD is super stable and doesn't require additives to keep it stable in a bottle. I also like the fact that you don't need 20% (for l-ascorbate)  but somewhere in the 5 to 15% range for THD and the pH is close to normal skin pH which translates to less irritation. The only downside is the cost of THD is high but in the long run you'll get your money's worth b/c you'll be using a very stable product which will be that way until the last drop. This is a case where you get what you pay for.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch , I tried Mad hippie several times.   I still think L Ascorbate is the real deal if your skin can tolerate it.  I would give it a try if I were you.   The dr Brenner that @SilleeMee  mentioned looks good, and I got a decent price  on Amazon, shipped directly from him.  I also keep my C serums in the fridge.   I ordered the hyaluronic also.  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   just reporting back...I got the Dr. Brenner and used both the C and Hyaluronic serum this morning.  I like them very much.  No sting from the C, and the Hyaluronic definitely softens and pumps the fine lines.  Both absorbed well, with a very slight tacky feel, but make up went on well.  Great price,  shipped directly from Dr. BRENNER.   THANK YOU AGAIN!

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

You're welcome Woman Happy That's great. Glad those worked out for you. Thank you for the review. It was very helpful.