Honored Contributor

Kylie Cosmetics sells controlling interest to Coty

[ Edited ]

Kylie Jenner, 22, has sold a 51% share of her company, Kylie Cosmetics and Kylie Skin, to Coty for $600 million. Her company was started with online sales in 2016 and in three years has reached a valuation of $1.2 billion.  Coty is a conglomerate that owns OPI, CoverGirl and Rimmel.  Kylie Cosmetics is best known for selling lip kits which include a liquid lipstick and a lip liner. The kits were initially sold direct to consumers from the company website online, but now are also for sale at Ulta. The lip kits retail for $29. The company has maintained very low overhead through the outsourcing of its manufacturing and fulfillment, keeping costs low and profits high. Kylie will stay on as a strategic partner. Forbes has called Kylie the “youngest self-made billionaire ever.”

Respected Contributor

Re: Kylie Cosmetics sells controlling interest to Coty

Work really hard & it pays off, evidently...

Honored Contributor

I have a hard time with the 'self-made' part. Obviously she wasn't alone in her venture nor did she start it without help from her family. 'Self-made'...rrrright.

Esteemed Contributor

There was an article on CNBC today that Coty already has plans to remake the image of her cosmetics line.

The true "value" of her company is believed to be over inflated on Wall St. Go figure. 😉

Honored Contributor

Good for her.

Honored Contributor

It's almost unbelievable when another new brand emerges in a market so completely saturated already. 

And to consider she's actually going up against her own sister's products.   !

Just think of all the makeup lines in the grocery and drugstores and department stores like Kohls and high end places like Neiman Marcus.

So many different names, but pretty much all the same colors, same uses.  

It's mind boggling!

Obviously, it sells.  So power to her.  Get it while you can, Kylie.  Can't even imagine what it would be like being that young and being a billionaire!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have a hard time with the 'self-made' part. Obviously she wasn't alone in her venture nor did she start it without help from her family. 'Self-made'...rrrright.

She did manage to market her line on social media all by herself and has millions of followers. I would imagine if she did not use family money, she would have been able to get financing. I think she deserves more credit than you give her. All the Kardashian girls have a great work ethic and a smart mother to guide them.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think we're missing the keyword "social media" and her demographic was mostly teenage girls when she started w/ the lip kit.

I hope Coty doesn't mess with her formulations and branding. I have experience (w/ Bobbi Brown) what a large company does to your vision when they buy a portion or all of your company...even if they allow you to stay on to oversee the line. 

Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2  I do not have any problem with someone doing well & making money. I also do not have a problem with the Kardashian/Jenner family doing well if people want to watch them or emulate them.

Kim Kardashian definitely had something & Kris Jenner helped her turn that into a career that has then benefitted the entire family. Except for Rob & his line of socks.

BUT. Please, do not insult my intelligence by telling me that they do anything "by themselves".

At this point in their careers they have teams of people to do everything. Hair, makeup, clothing, take all of the "selfies" that they post from across a room.

They pay for nothing, because they are worth more to a company by being seen in their cars, clothes, restaraunts, clubs, than they would be if they paid retail.

So that is a good job done by their management team. Whom I suppose that they do pay, so it's sort of like paying for stuff.

But, as far as starting a company & turning it into the gold mine that Kylie makeup supposedly is....No, I do not belive that Kylie Jenner really had much to do with it & I feel like the people that work for them must have tons of Kylie makeup in their closests. I love makeup. I read & talk about makeup on boards. I truly don't know that many people that have ever bought a Kylie product.

Honored Contributor

I thought I read that initially Kim and/or Kylie would be doing an organic/toxic free line. 

I'm all in favor of that would definitely try it out.  Otherwise, not interested.