Honored Contributor

Re: Knowledgeable Skin Care Ladies, I need your help! (sunscreen)

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Kalli this could be due to a number of things.

1. Are you allowing your sunscreen to dry before applying your foundation?

2. Are you using a primer between your sunscreen and foundation?

Personally, I've given up on the whole "layering" of products because I don't have time to let each product dry or set before applying the next. Now, I apply a thin layer of sunscreen then use a tinted mineral sunscreen on top, for the added SPF and evening out of color.

@Texasmouse 

Would you please share what tinted mineral sunscreen you use?

Always looking.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

I see you're getting lots of good recommendations here.  It's so much trial and error to see what works for you.  My favorite is Paula's Choice Super Light Wrinkle Defense.  It's an all mineral sunscreen with a light tint to negate the white cast from the zinc oxide.  It's also a light moisturizer that has anti-aging ingredients.  Works well for me under makeup and primer and I've never had it pill.  Good luck with your search!

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote here for Colorscience or other brands of mineral powder sunscreens that are applied on top of foundation or alone.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli  I like Josie Maran's Protect & Perfect and her Daily Moisturizer with SPF47.  In my case the problem with sunscreen is always either allergic reaction, or (being a woman of color) having to absolutely pass on the ones which leave that awful chalky white cast on my skin.  Both of Josie's sunscreens work for me in every way.  

I've ordered Andrew Lessman's Sole and hoping that it works for me.  Andrew's products are usually better than advertised. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond. I really should’ve asked for help here a long time ago! Been struggling with this issue for a while.

I think I’m going to be spending $$$ today!  😊 But it will be well worth it since I can’t avoid the sun due to the activities I enjoy and have never found something that checks all the boxes for me. 

Again, I appreciate all the info you’ve posted here! 

Respected Contributor

I like Australian Gold Botanical Sunscreen SPF50. It does feel kind of thick on the skin, but it does not flake off, and does not irritate my skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try It foundation. The 50 SPF is in it. It's a zinc based SPF. I see little reason to apply a separate subscreen under this foundation. Moisturize before application of the foundation. There are a few options, but the CC Cream is very popular. There's a $15 travel size available. It's item number is A417518. From my personal experience with this makeup, it did not look good on me. It was drying. I have exceptionally dry skin. The zinc gave the makeup a whitish cast. I wasn't able to find a shade that looks good with my skin tone. Your experience might be different.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Kalli this could be due to a number of things.

1. Are you allowing your sunscreen to dry before applying your foundation?

2. Are you using a primer between your sunscreen and foundation?

Personally, I've given up on the whole "layering" of products because I don't have time to let each product dry or set before applying the next. Now, I apply a thin layer of sunscreen then use a tinted mineral sunscreen on top, for the added SPF and evening out of color.

@Texasmouse 

Would you please share what tinted mineral sunscreen you use?

Always looking.

@Drythe I like this one because it dries matte and matches my skintone perfectly. I have to make sure my base sunscreen is moisturizing though because this one is a little drying. 

GetImage.jpeg