Respected Contributor

Re: Know of Sunscreen for Face without Dimethicone?

@BSurLife65 wrote:

@donniesmom  DERMALOGICA (sp?) has a quality plain sunscreen lotion, my small bottle (fo rmy face) has lasted years. SPF 35 I think.  Seems pricey but a lil' dab'll do ya.  No color, the white disappears.  They know their skincare!

@BSurLife65 in order to get the level of SPF listed on the container, you have to use 1/4 teaspoon of product on your face/neck.

Honored Contributor

@donniesmom  Dr. Gross spf 50 Physical Block (this is what I wear outside year round).

ISOMERS spf 22 (only available in the US). This is my indoors sunscreen.

Super Contributor

REN has a new product which is 22% Zinc Oxide and I am pretty sure it's 'cone free. It's called Clean Screen. I find it to be one of the best formulas for everyday use. No white cast, no greasy afterfeel, pretty perfect. 

Valued Contributor

@Texasmouse   I wasn't aware of that instruction, so thanks.  What I bought in 2015 is a 2 oz. white plastic bottle with a yellow cap.  I took it on a trip South but never used it much (I'm still in denial about the 'need' for high SPF "anytime you go outside whether sunny or foggy".  My skin already has a good deal of melanin due to my genetic background -- I spent most of my life as a Cali 'sun worshipper', practically lived at the beach, swam & sunbathed nude in our private pool and yard --  WITHOUT ANY SUNSCREEN, and no skin cancer to this day. I wouldn't recommend that now, and when I'm in the direct sun I do use sun protection.  I have no wrinkles, just a few sunspots here & there.  In my opinion the Skin Cancer 'scare' has been overblown; and it was known 20 years ago that using sunscreen can actually cause skin damage (maybe that was before the 'mineral' sunscreens were on the market?)  

I recently got it out of my seldom-used products drawer to see if it was still good; it smelled fine, and I put a couple drops on my hand -- it spread out really well and the white disappeared.  I now wear either CC tinted cream or the new Bare Minerals 'foundation' (all with at least 35 non-chemical SPF).  

Actually 1/4 tsp. is a good amount to cover one's entire face and neck; one could probably spread it down the chest area and backs of hands.  The price in 2015 was $35 I think.  I'm sure there are comparable products in today's marketplace but I was answering the question posed by the OP.  

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65 wrote:

@donniesmom  DERMALOGICA (sp?) has a quality plain sunscreen lotion, my small bottle (fo rmy face) has lasted years. SPF 35 I think.  Seems pricey but a lil' dab'll do ya.  No color, the white disappears.  They know their skincare!

@BSurLife65- Your sunscreen may have expired by now.  There may be an expiration date printed somewhere on the bottle.

Valued Contributor

@San Antonio Gal   Thanks for the info -- I'll check it out with my Derm.

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65 wrote:

@San Antonio Gal   Thanks for the info -- I'll check it out with my Derm.

@BSurLife65, You might also want to find out what your derm says about sunscreen.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Porcelain  I guarantee you that I'm old and wise enough to get all available input re: my Health -- from a wide variety of sources.  

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65 wrote:

@Porcelain  I guarantee you that I'm old and wise enough to get all available input re: my Health -- from a wide variety of sources.  

I'm glad for you. If I offended you somehow by responding to you directly, I apologize.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@susanks1 wrote:

Elta MD SPF 41.  It is slightly tinted.  I have really sensitive skin and I don't have problems with this sunscreen.

I want to second this one. I also have very sensitive skin and use Elta MD UV Physical Broad Spectrum SPF 41. Active ingredients are Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett