New Contributor

I had a knee replacement July 2015 and it was an outpatient procedure.  I am also a nurse and I think that insurance is not willing to pay for in hospital care when it isn't needed.  If you were to need hospital care, I'm sure they have arrangements in place for a quick move to a hospital.  My doctor and the staff made sure that I could use the crutches/walker safely, that I could empty my bladder and that someone would be at home with me.   Just do as they say and you will be ok.   Good positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!!

Honored Contributor

@StampinSue 

Thank you for the positive thoughts Smiley Happy

Was your surgery a total knee replacement?

My Dr's nurse has already said I will be spending

one night.  Also, was it robotic surgery?

Respected Contributor

@monicakm      One of my neighbors had  tkr surgery on  Wed.   She is up and about going to physical theraphy.  I'm sure that she is in some pain but I spoke with her and she said that she is feeling good and planning to attend our neighborhood's ladies luncheon on 10/22.   Best advice is to do everything that the doctor tells you to do and have a possitive attidude.   They have come a long way with this surgery in the past few years.  You'll be fine!

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey   

Thank you Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Knee Surgery

[ Edited ]

I've had four major surgeries in my right knee. The first in 1976 to correct a congenital defect. Fast forward to 2016 my first total knee replacement which failed within a couple of years. Second surgery in Sept 2018 was to replace a supposedly faulty part within the artificial joint. It was also a two night hospital stay with PT for weeks afterward. 
That surgery also failed. It never felt right from the beginning. Even with therapy, I could not bear weight without screaming in pain. My surgeon was dismissive. It didn't occur to him that the artificial joint he tinkered with was also loose. He looked at the xrays and said it's fine. So in March 2019 (six months later) I went for a consult with an Ortho surgeon in a big city who specializes in complicated/botched joint replacements. Turned out the replacement was indeed loose, so with every step I could feel the distal end of the hardware moving around inside my tibial bone. 
Another two or three night hospital stay. That replacement was successful thank God. He had to pull the previous one out entirely. The one he put in is drilled deeper into the tibia and according to my doc, it's going to last. 
As for pain meds. Yah it's nice for ppl to tell you "make sure you get enough". In fact you will get plenty in the hospital. Mostly IV. Enjoy it you'll need it. When you go home that changes. You'll get exactly the amount authorized by the Feds and that's it. I was able to obtain one PARTIAL refill when I called the office crying because my pain was so severe and I didn't have enough Norco left to relieve it. That was the last RX they were allowed to fill. 
Your pain won't be as bad because you don't have a complicated surgery. Most people with simple straightforward knee replacement recover nicely.  I have a 9-10" scar from my thigh to just below the knee. It looks like a sideways V. Thirty-seven staples. 

You will have about eighteen. 

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
.@layla2450

Oh for goodness sakes, someone has no sense of humor!

OMG you are SO awesome. LOL!

Valued Contributor

Re: Knee Surgery

[ Edited ]

I was very afraid to have my TKR, Even thought of canceling the night before. Mine was day surgery. I had no real pain to speak of. Pain of course but never any big huge amounts of pain. My worst thing was getting comfortable to sleep. It is scary to think of having it done but so glad I did and you will be too

Honored Contributor

@KACEE1115 

I'm starting to reconsider Smiley Surprised  A "botched" surgery never really entered my mind.  

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm I would think of it this way ... how uncomfortable, sore, not able to do all what you want when you want are you now ... tkr's are done all the time w/very good results & when it's over you even might be able to do cartwheels again, who knows, lol.

Honored Contributor

@colleena 

With the Syn Visc shots I can get around pretty darn good with a cane but no long amts of walking like to the mall or at the Nature Preserve.  Use a walker at home sometimes.  Have to ride a motorized wheelchair thingy at WM and that's terribly embarrassing!  I know I need to do it.