Honored Contributor

@monicakm  I'm not into makeup anymore but I always enjoy your makeup posts.

I wish you all the best and will miss you. I'm one of those wierdos who have always liked prunes1

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

That's so sweet of you ღ  Thank you!  I had so much fun getting all that makeup in the mail Smiley Happy  I'm trying to buy more but just not seeing anything lately that speaks to me.  I was hoping for some holiday makeup that would I would love but nothing more than the MAC Feast Your Eyes palette so far. 

I like prunes unless I HAVE to eat them.  

Are you coming over to the Delphi forum?

Trusted Contributor

Two years ago I stayed at least 2 nights, maybe 3 and had no problems.  I could not imagine not staying overnight.  My Dr does the surgery in the afternoon.  Maybe that's why he does it that way, so we can stay at least 1 night. 

Honored Contributor

A few years ago, after getting shots and you name it, I finally decided to get my knees replaced.

My Dr was retiring and I wanted him to do it.  It turned out I was his last patient.  One of the cuts on a knee just wouldn't heal.  I went to a rehab place. They kept putting me in a wheelchair and taking me to his office.  He'd laugh and say, "You are keeping me from retiring."

I had both knees replaced at the same time.  He didn't want to replace both but he finally gave in and replaced both knees.

He thought I could go home afterwards.  My oldest daughter was at the visit with me.  She said, "My mom has so many QVC boxes everywhere I'm afraid she will fall...and she lives alone.

I spent 20 days at the rehab place.  Then I went to my daughter's house for 1 week.

During that time, my family totally reorganized my house.  They did everything.  They even shampooed all my carpets.

I think getting both done is the only way to go.  Most people do so much damage to the knee that's kinda good, they eventually have to get the other one done.

I had to convince my Dr that I had enough upper body strength, I could support myself.

I never used one of those walkers with wheels.  I only used my cane once or twice on outings.

My Dr is one of the very few that cuts a C on the knee instead of straight up or down.

I had very little pain.  I suffer with back pain, so the knee pain was a breeze.

Knee replacement was one of the best things I've done.

Take care.  I know you'll be fine and happy you did it too.

Please come back and let us know how you are.  Fondly...Annabelle😘

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  Oh, no, I feel so bad for you!   My older brother had a TKR about 5 years ago.  He was in the hospital for 2 nights and then was transferred to another building which was their rehabilitation center.  He stayed there for daily PT, about 5 days?

If your insurance company is ordering these reduced medical services, please have your doctor's office fight for you!  The doctor has the last word (well they used to anyway).  Let us know what happens please.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I've been told not to do both at the same time due to an increased chance of blood clots.  My left knee will need replaced at some point.  "Very little pain".  That's amazing!  Maybe I'll be that lucky Smiley Happy  Thank you for sharing your experience.

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

It was a nurse at my Dr's office that told me I was having a total knee replacement AND that it was an outpatient surgery.  At this point I'm not sure if it's the Dr or Texas Workforce that is dictating an outpatient operation.  If it's TWC I'm going to talk to the Dr.  If it's the Dr, I'm going to find out WHY.  May need to change Drs.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm my mom had hip replacement surgery, she was at the hospital a couple of days and they took her straight to a rehab center (I arranged for that through the hospital, my mom is on medicare, she had a range of options, my mom was unconscious from the surgery, the surgery was emergency due to accident, so I got there late, no chance to discuss with her).  My mom stayed at the rehab center a number of days, I think maybe a week.  The rehab then continued in the home for months.  At the rehab center, my mom had a roommate that had knee replacement for some of that time, and same as my mom was wheeled there from the hospital.  So I recommend that if you can arrange it, go straight to rehab.  The rehab facility was nice.  Both ladies were supposed to be bedridden and only get up when taken to the rehab. The lady with the knee replacement was able to use a bedpan.  Honestly, I think my mom could have walked more, but she wasn't supposed to.  I think they didn't want family walking patients because of potential liability issues.  I did help my mom once take a shower because she did not want to wait for the nurse. Waits could be long.

My mom was very groggy and once missed a rehab session.  They wheeled her to the rehab and back to her room when the hour had passed.  I was ******.  So I checked the medication that they were giving her with the nurse that brought it and I realized they were giving her too many pills, once a day doses were being dispensed twice a day, and I put a stop to that.  So good to have someone check things for you when you are out of it.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Trusted Contributor

@monicakmI just read that outpatient TKR is recommended for certain low risk patients "who have adequate social support at home to assist with post operative recovery."  That sounds like something your doctor's office should have discussed with you.  Don't talk to your insurance co. more than necessary, everything you say they'll turn it around on you.  Talk to your doctor first.  We're here for you!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm I thought about it but someone posted that it is NOT a secure site so I won't be.