Contributor

Re: Kinda gross: did anyone ever lose a toenail? Care to share your experience?

Hello, I hope you're doing well with your injury, and yes, I had this happen as well. My story is a little humorous(if losing a toenail can be considered funny)..we were moving the couch and my hubby gave a great big tug and the bottom leg jammed my big toe and ripped the nail clean off! Yes, it hurt, but I had to laugh at the situation. The doctor bandaged me up and it grew back in about 4 months. I don't notice any difference in the nail now...grew in strong. It does look "lumpy" when it first starts to grow. Just take care to avoid infection, etc.., and it should grow back fine. I came back to say, after reading a few posts, maybe some of us should give up on moving furniture! ; )
Super Contributor

Runners loose them all the time.

Honored Contributor

OMG, turtle52, what timing! Last fall, late September/early October, I was rearranging furniture and injured my big toe on the leg of my sofa table. It all happened fast that I wasn't sure if the leg came down on it or if my toe jammed into the side of the leg. All I knew was that it hurt. It turned all kinds of ugly colors and was sore for awhile. As time went by the nail seemed to still be growing and it was getting whiter at the tip. I really tried to not pay attention to it, but it was getting long and I wanted to trim it. I didn't think I should so I just kept it short by filing it. Last month I was finally going to trim it. I looked at the tip of the nail and could see layers. I could also see something weird at the base of the nail. I thought maybe it was dry skin that needed to be pushed back, but when I looked closer it was a line that was defining both nails. The new one was growing underneath and the old one was laying on top. Never one to leave well enough alone, I had to continue my examination (with a nail tool). I was able to lift that entire nail off except it was still attached on one side. I got out the clippers and got as close to the edge as I could. Nervously, I applied the pressure to the clippers and the old nail flung across the room! {#emotions_dlg.lol} I had a mini nail underneath and nothing on the rest of my toe. I'm the first one to admit I have ugly feet/toes (runs in the family), but this was nasty ugly. Even so, there was a sense of relief, but that part of the old nail that remained on the edge annoyed me. I tried to be patient, but within a couple of weeks I just picked at that thing until I got it out. Yeah, there was some blood, but it's history, the sore healed, and the new nail is about halfway grown out. In a way, I think the old nail was protecting the nail bed and new outgrowth but in another I think if I got it off sooner the new nail would have grown quicker. Like I said, it's ugly but it doesn't hurt. I've got about half of a nail now and am thinking about getting some Solar Oil to encourage it along.

Life can be funny sometimes. It's been a rough year in some ways so to get a chuckle out of my flinging nail was a nice bit of comic relief.

Frequent Contributor

I lost a large part of one last summer, right in the middle of sandal season. I tried putting skin colored bandaids on it, but it just looked creepy to me. After that, I decided to just rock it. I bought some neon colored bandaids, and some Isaac Mizrahi patterned bandaids at Walgreens, and wore those. I would coordinate the color of the bandaid to what I was wearing. It all worked out okay.

Respected Contributor

I am sure some will never believe this, but it's true. I lost both my big toe toenails at the same time. Reason: I wore a boot shoe to go on a shop till you drop trip a few years ago and my toes must have gotten pushed to the front of the toe bed. I felt like my feet were getting numb from so much walking and left it at that. Until the next day, my toe nails were purple and a couple days later became loose. I would say about a week later they both came off. It took about 2 and a half months for them to come back completely and I haven't had any trouble since. Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

it grows back fast

Valued Contributor

On 3/19/2015 AnnikaC said:

I lost a large part of one last summer, right in the middle of sandal season. I tried putting skin colored bandaids on it, but it just looked creepy to me. After that, I decided to just rock it. I bought some neon colored bandaids, and some Isaac Mizrahi patterned bandaids at Walgreens, and wore those. I would coordinate the color of the bandaid to what I was wearing. It all worked out okay.

LOL, love that you rocked some cool bandaids! I never thought of that.

Frequent Contributor

Yes I caught a foot fungus in Thailand and my toe nail came off. It did grow back though.

Contributor

OMG! JeanLouiseFinch JUST told my exact story!!! That is too out there!

I did everything to the "t" that she did from using the tools to "dig" it out AND I kid you not the over growth happened to me JUST like she described it. AND to top it off...I have "ugly" toes/feet as well. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Thanks for the tip JeanLouiseFinch of using the Solar, I have not tried that.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Leeny said:

I am sure some will never believe this, but it's true. I lost both my big toe toenails at the same time. Reason: I wore a boot shoe to go on a shop till you drop trip a few years ago and my toes must have gotten pushed to the front of the toe bed. I felt like my feet were getting numb from so much walking and left it at that. Until the next day, my toe nails were purple and a couple days later became loose. I would say about a week later they both came off. It took about 2 and a half months for them to come back completely and I haven't had any trouble since. Good Luck.

2.5 months?

You must have super fast growing toe nails. It took mine about 8 months to grow back. When I first lost it my podiatrist said it would be minimum 6 months.