Trusted Contributor

I for the first time yesterday got a keratin treatment for my fine, curly hair.  I just need to keep the frizz at bay during these summer months, I have a COMPLETELY different head of hair spring, winter and fall.  My hairdresser told me I was to wash my hair in 24 hrs.  My daughter (whom has been getting keratin treatments for years) was surprised at that instruction as she was always told to go many days (3 or more) without washing for the best results. 

I know that the treatment I had done is the one lasting two months or so, depending on how frequently you wash your hair.  My question is, do you think I would do any damage to my hair by trying to go a day or two longer than the instructed 24 hrs?   If I can make this treatment last longer by doing that I would like to. 

As always, I turn to my compadres here (the REAL experts) for guidance.  Thank you in advance.

Trusted Contributor

Also, to edit:  I was told I could not use dry shampoo until I washed for the first time which is conflicting with what my daughter told me too.  If anyone here can give me clarity on that question as well it would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor
  • There are several different brands out there and all of them have different lengths of time the need to "cook", you will not do any damage if you want to wait a day or two mroe, but there is not reason to it will not increase the amount of time the treatment stays in your hair. In rality after the 24 hours you will ant to was your hair, it gets smelly and itchy
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you @I am still oxox - do you happen to know the answer to my other query about use of dry shampoo before the first wash?  She told me I was not to use that either.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry I never asked about the dry shampoo, but take the advice of your stylist

@fitfuninformed wrote:

Thank you @I am still oxox - do you happen to know the answer to my other query about use of dry shampoo before the first wash?  She told me I was not to use that either.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

As I should @I am still oxox, thank you - I will.

Respected Contributor

There are different Kertain brands. I wash my hair in 24 hours. My treatment lasts at least 4 months.

Honored Contributor

After a Keratin Treatment, you should not wash your hair for 3-4 days.  Twenty-four hours is not a  long enough time for the keratin to set in your hair.

that is standard for keratin treatments. If done right, it should last. 2 to 2.5 months.  If you want it to last, do not wash your hair too soon.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Keratin Hair Treatment

[ Edited ]

I agree with everyone. In the US there are many kinds of k treatments in my hair salon they use Cezanne and it last 6 months or even more. Provinding that you use non sulfate shampoo and conditioner. I can stand it for a week before the first wash without problems my body seems to like lemon and this is one of the main ingredients of non formoleoid k not approved in Europe and the healthier for your hair.

I would follow the directions of the expert two months is too short, this is perhaps why you should wash your hair earlier.

Remember  to use the proper shampoo and I am talking about the real one not the dry.🌻

Honored Contributor

@CHIP62 wrote:

I agree with everyone. In the US there are many kinds of k treatments in my hair salon they use Cezanne and it last 6 months or even more. Provinding that you use non sulfate shampoo and conditioner. I can stand it for a week before the first wash without problems my body seems to like lemon and this is one of the main ingredients of non formoleoid k not approved in Europe and the healthier for your hair.

I would follow the directions of the expert two months is too short, this is perhaps why you should wash your hair earlier.

Remember  to use the proper shampoo and I am talking about the real one not the dry.🌻

Which one has no formaldehyde?  I thought they all did even though some claimed they didn't.  There was some conflicting info on this 4 or 5 years ago--stating they all claimed formaldehyde.

Is the keratin one similar to the brazilian blowout one?

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"