Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have experience with this vs. others systems? HSN has a TS kit today.

Trusted Contributor

My hair is not falling out, it just stopped growing very much in the front and going towards the top from the hairline upward, front only. It's thin. I might be looking at "female pattern baldness". If I part my hair, it is a lot wider these days. I can see my scalp thru the wispiness, but I am not literally bald, but thinned at the front. I think my hair follicles just are not productive and probably a few are "dead" or whatever happens to them.

I tried Keranique with great hope. Unfortunately, it did not stimulate growth at all for me. I followed applicatioin directions and usage amounts with care and gave it a long (expensive) tryout. I was glad I tried, sorry it didn't work, and finally felt easier about this circumstance because I  proved that I could accept this with grace after trying to change what was happening.

I can only report my experience and not say Keranique will not work. I think it's worth a try so that you can feel you made an effort to correct what you are noticing about your hair. Hair thinning or not growing at all is a thing that can bother you and if you get good results from Keranique, you will be benefited. But you must keep using it, if it works. If you stop, your hair will go back to whatever it is that is motivating you now. If it doesn't work, you'll know you tried and perhaps let go of the frustration and resentment. 

My thinning hair was a sad surprise accompanying aging. That life is unfair is not a surprise at all!

Super Contributor

I tried Keranique a couple of years ago and got absolutely no results. It was a nice shampoo/conditioner but did nothing for my hair. I read up on female pattern baldness and was surprised to learn that it exists.

I am 76 years old and had thick, coarse wavy hair. I was a dark brunette. I began to go grey in my 30s but my hair texture and thickness remained until about 6-7 years ago. I tried everything, biotin, Nioxin, etc. Nothing worked including the Keranique.

Keranique is a 2% minoxidil product. It is the same as Rogaine 2% for women.  For many years the 2% only was suggested for women while men were to use the 5% solution of Rogaine. Recently the FDA has changed their recommendations and it is now okay for women to use the 5%.

I purchased the 5% minoxidil solution at Costco for $16.99 for a 6 month supply. The difference is really noticeable. Prior to using my silver white hair had become thin, fine and wispy on the top. On a windy day I looked like Einstein! In the now 8 months that I have been using it I amd getting significant new growth. My pink scalp is not the first thing you see. Additionally, my hair was absolutely and completely white with only a few dark hairs at the nape of my neck. Many of the new growth is my previous brunette. I would guesstimate about 5 percent is dark hairs. I am thrilled with this as it gives my hair color some depth. I have had no side effects or problems with it. Hope this helps with your decision.

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal @ChouChou 

Thanks for your detailed testimonials. I have baby fine fair but once had a lot of it, losing it mostly on top and on one side (and strangely, I do not sleep on that side a lot, so it's not from that, as my stylist suggested).  I've been using the 2% minoxidil with fair results, but wanted to try to improve that. HairMax really didn't work. Maybe I'll try the 5% solution given that I've already had some success with the 2%.

@ChouChou  was the Costco product directed at men, or women, or does it really matter?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Because this kit contains Minoxidil, they can make claims that it will grow hair. You can buy Minoxidil anywhere, other than that there is nothing in there that will grow hair. 

Honored Contributor

I have had decent results with monixidil but I don't have any experience with this brand in particular. They probably still have extended returns for 90 days so you could send it back if you don't start to see any results. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Anyone have experience with this vs. others systems? HSN has a TS kit today.

Whatever you do, avoid calling the company because they will not leave you alone. They will call you trying to get you to order. Glad you ordered from HSN instead of directly from the company.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

My hair is not falling out, it just stopped growing very much in the front and going towards the top from the hairline upward, front only. It's thin. I might be looking at "female pattern baldness". If I part my hair, it is a lot wider these days. I can see my scalp thru the wispiness, but I am not literally bald, but thinned at the front. I think my hair follicles just are not productive and probably a few are "dead" or whatever happens to them.

I tried Keranique with great hope. Unfortunately, it did not stimulate growth at all for me. I followed applicatioin directions and usage amounts with care and gave it a long (expensive) tryout. I was glad I tried, sorry it didn't work, and finally felt easier about this circumstance because I  proved that I could accept this with grace after trying to change what was happening.

I can only report my experience and not say Keranique will not work. I think it's worth a try so that you can feel you made an effort to correct what you are noticing about your hair. Hair thinning or not growing at all is a thing that can bother you and if you get good results from Keranique, you will be benefited. But you must keep using it, if it works. If you stop, your hair will go back to whatever it is that is motivating you now. If it doesn't work, you'll know you tried and perhaps let go of the frustration and resentment. 

My thinning hair was a sad surprise accompanying aging. That life is unfair is not a surprise at all!

As far as minoxidil goes,  all new growth you get from it will fall out once you stop using it. 

Super Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@ChouChou  was the Costco product directed at men, or women, or does it really matter?  Thanks.

The Costco box is Kirkland brand and is titles Minoxidil 5% for men. My Costco had no women's minoxidil. However, 5% is 5%.

Respected Contributor

I ihave the same hair problem but since I am a breast cancer survivor I do not wish use the chemicals necessary especially cause you must use them forever if you want to maintain results.  I'm glad though the 5% is working...that Keranique system sounds expensive!!