Respected Contributor

Katie Holmes from Bobbie Brown to Oil of Olay....

Interesting change from high end to drug store...Now Kate Upton is the new BB spokesperson. I guess they all want the very young to rep. their company. I wonder if it would work well to come out with a cosmetic company targeted to over 50 with over 50 models. I guess people would think it would make them look old. I did not need much when I was under 40 but now I need a lot and spend a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Katie Holmes from Bobbie Brown to Oil of Olay....

I love Olay products! That is one brand that I am loyal to.

Women, in general, over 50 know that Olay products work. Women in their 20s need the introduction.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I love the over 50 make up and models idea. Isn't that what Lauren Hutton did with her line? I know from putting make up on my daughter for Halloween, it mush easier in a young pretty face than my own. If you have something that looks great on older women, now that is something!
Super Contributor

I thought Katie Holmes also was the model for Alterna?

Honored Contributor

Katie Holmes wants the money just like all the other actresses representing other cosmetic cos. When you age your skin changes and I found that I needed foundation or tinted moisturizer. When I was younger and well into my 50's, I did not need something to cover flaws. Cosmetic cos. need to wise up and have more mature women representing their cos. from time to time.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I don't think that targeting a certain age group is profitable.

Case in point - MORE magazine started a number of years ago as the magazine that's specifically targeted toward women 40+. Their premiere issue's Letter to the Editor said they were going to use advertisements and models who were all 40+. Even though I wasn't even 40 at the time, I loved that approach and the magazine. I've been a subscriber for over 10 yrs up 'til now. They recently put a nice, young actress on the cover. I was a little shocked and noticed that it's now for everyone. I sent a letter to the editor but, of course, no response.

Guess it doesn't pay.

Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 dionline said:

I don't think that targeting a certain age group is profitable.

Case in point - MORE magazine started a number of years ago as the magazine that's specifically targeted toward women 40+. Their premiere issue's Letter to the Editor said they were going to use advertisements and models who were all 40+. Even though I wasn't even 40 at the time, I loved that approach and the magazine. I've been a subscriber for over 10 yrs up 'til now. They recently put a nice, young actress on the cover. I was a little shocked and noticed that it's now for everyone. I sent a letter to the editor but, of course, no response.

Guess it doesn't pay.

I do not think it is necessary to target a certain age group when selling makeup. You can wear pink lipstick and mascara if you are 19 or 89. A cream foundation and blush might look better on someone with wrinkles but young people can have dry skin too and use these products.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't even sure that was Katie Holmes. I saw the Olay commercial on a 60 inch HD TV and I thought 'that can't be Katie, this woman looks older and Katie's doing BB'.

I used to use Olay, but stay away from all the unnecessary chemicals and animal testing.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched my young mom use Oil of Olay. Since college, that's my brand of choice. I could afford it and it didn't break out my skin. The product has many options. Once I could afford it, I tried more expensive products -- sometimes my friends sold products from their homes. I missed O of O and always went back. My 26 year-old DD has been using it since high school. She likes the spf and tinted type. My 28 year-old DIL is now using it and loves it. I'm trying to get my husband to use it. We're only a year apart in age and he's a weekend warrior -- fishing, hiking, hunting, cycling, almost any sport -- and has facial lines to prove it. I'm also active outdoors and he's amazed how smooth and wrinkle-free my skin is. But he doesn't moisturize or use spf daily. Thanks for the reminder -- I'm going to remind that guy, again, to use my Oil of Olay!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Re: targeting older women for cosmetic lines -- Helen Mirren, age 70-ish, was recently named the face of L'Oreal in the U.K. I was extremely happy about that and hope we see some of the ads, TV or magazine, over on this side of the Atlantic.

I also saw the Katie Holmes' commercial and barely recognized her.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt