Respected Contributor

I noticed that a Kat Von D make up search yields nothing.  Has the product line been removed from the QVC line up?

No benefit purchasing from QVC and it shipping costs increased the price. QVC didn't even carry the Holiday Bonus Gift. This is just a guess.

Does anyone know what happened?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kat Von D - Gone From QVC?

@CalMom wrote:

I noticed that a Kat Von D make up search yields nothing.  Has the product line been removed from the QVC line up?

No benefit purchasing from QVC and it shipping costs increased the price. QVC didn't even carry the Holiday Bonus Gift. This is just a guess.

Does anyone know what happened?

I had purchased the foundation when it was on but I found the color to be incorrect so I returned it for a nother. It was put on back-order, and eventually I was told it could not be fulfilled. 

So, I'm out and I guess it is gone, sorry to say. It was a great foundation, just the color wasn't right for me. Would love to have received the replacement.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can order directly from her website and get a free gift with a $75 purchase. Or you can purchase at Sephora. Actually, JC Penney sells a limited line of Kat von D products on line.

Honored Contributor

Wow! I wonder what happened!!!!!! They weren't at QVC very long, and the couple of shows I saw things were selling out, so very curious as to why QVC has these lines for a short while and then Poof! Gone......I know youi can get better deals at Sephora,etc., but its nice to see the products and hear about them before purchasing!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm going to guess that she couldn't/wouldn't discount her products enough for it to make sense to sell here.  When you can purchase the same items for the same price with free shipping and 60 day returns at sephora, it didn't make sense to buy them here.  It only makes sense when there is a brush added, or a discount.  I do not ever buy single full price items from Q.  It just isn't worth it.  

Edited to to add that the last I looked, there was only one KvD product here at Q that was discounted.  The Monarch palette I believe.  Everything else was regular full price.  That must had led to poor sales.  I've purchased a few KVD items from Sephora....and I get 3 free samples with each purchase too.

Respected Contributor

QVC has products like this Jack Black for Men. It's basically shaving and skin products for men that you could get on the Jack Black Website (sometimes discounted), with samples, better selection, larger pre packaged items at a better price and free shipping over $35.00. However, this brand has remained on QVC. Too bad, there wasn't grouped products or a TSV because that would have done well.

Trusted Contributor

@CalMom wrote:

QVC has products like this Jack Black for Men. It's basically shaving and skin products for men that you could get on the Jack Black Website (sometimes discounted), with samples, better selection, larger pre packaged items at a better price and free shipping over $35.00. However, this brand has remained on QVC. Too bad, there wasn't grouped products or a TSV because that would have done well.

I agree.  I don't know if KVD was too restrictive in their deals, or if Q didn't ask for enough...I'd guess the former only because most new beauty brands come on here with a bang, mascara trios, palettes with brushes...at minimum a brush with every foundation.    I personally remember it cosmetics and Tarte coming in with deals I couldn't resist!  So I was personally surprised and disappointed to see the KVD premier with none of that.  I can't explain the Jack Black remaining a brand with the limited options.  How long have they been here?  Maybe women buying gifts for men think Q is convenient for that, but women buying cosmetics for themselves can be more selective about where they purchase?  

Maybe Sephora threatened to drop them if they sold cheaper in Q.  This is what I suspect may have happened with Laura Geller years ago.  Too many bargains offered outside of Sephora, so Sephoras LG sales were poor.

Honored Contributor

All I know is the ONE show they had was one of the best beauty shows in a loooong time. So of course QVC got rid of it, it was too exciting and interesting, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@CalMom wrote:

I agree.  I don't know if KVD was too restrictive in their deals, or if Q didn't ask for enough...I'd guess the former only because most new beauty brands come on here with a bang, mascara trios, palettes with brushes...at minimum a brush with every foundation.    I personally remember it cosmetics and Tarte coming in with deals I couldn't resist!  So I was personally surprised and disappointed to see the KVD premier with none of that.  I can't explain the Jack Black remaining a brand with the limited options.  How long have they been here?  Maybe women buying gifts for men think Q is convenient for that, but women buying cosmetics for themselves can be more selective about where they purchase?  

Maybe Sephora threatened to drop them if they sold cheaper in Q.  This is what I suspect may have happened with Laura Geller years ago.  Too many bargains offered outside of Sephora, so Sephoras LG sales were poor.

I doubt if Sephora made any threats.  When brands they (or Ulta and department stores) sell appear on QVC or HSN they experience a distinct upwards bump in people coming in to look at the line ... and making purchases.  Thus it serves as unpaid promotion for bringing customers into their stores.  That's not an opinion, but fact as reported to retail industry publications and marketing researchers.  Any line dropped by Sephora and Ulta is only due to lagging sales; the brand's reluctance to pay the fee required by those stores for shelf space; or they were outbid for for the space.  

I suspect in the case of Kat Von D it may be a matter of not being able to manufacture the number of units required to fulfill QVC's order for their inventory.  For example: even with their many locations across the country, a store like Sephora may order 50 black mascaras per store.  QVC would want 10,000.    

Respected Contributor

I didn't know this.

"Through more than 300 stand-alone stores in North America and another 475 inside J. C. Penney department storesSephora USA takes a self-service approach to buying makeup, fragrances, and skin care products."

775 x 50 is 38,750.

I remember Lisa Rinna saying that what she sold in a year in her Melrose store, Belle Gray, she sold in one show on QVC.  LOL!  The rich get richer!