Honored Contributor

Re: KYLIE, GWEN, LADY GAGA, ETC.

@Shanus 

I think some of them have merit and some are cash grabs.  I love/like everything I've tried from Fenty by Rihanna.  I think Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez is legit.  Lady Gaga's line didn't do well at first.  It was quickly reformulated and re-packaged and seems to be doing well.  Ozzie Osbourne...not worth the keystrokes.

Respected Contributor

I purchased some eye liners from Victoria Beckham's line because I liked what I saw about the actual products.  She has colors I want.  Her site has detailed information about the products.   The packaging is well done and the products perform as advertised.  I will buy more from her line as I need to replace make up items because I like her color options and love the quality of what I have purchased.  I don't as a rule buy celebrity lines, so this is really different for me.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Depends on the brand.  As @monicakm and @Jk9 stated, Fenty and Victoria Beckham have some top quality products.  Lady Gaga's new foundation seems to be doing quite well with all the reviews.  Selena Gomez's brand is another one with good products.

I wouldn't say that all the brands that are linked to celebrities are trash.  There are many good products out there.  

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with @San Antonio Gal .   

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

IMHO, Beckham and Fenty have more credibility because they both began with fashion lines and established themselves in the beauty and fashion industry. There's somuch beauty/makeup going on backstage before and during shows. There's a lot of experience to gather from the artists present.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

How do you feel about all the celebrity makeup lines coming out? Are there any really worth trying or just out there for the name recognition?

I've sampled a few, but don't find merit in the quality of them compared to other lines....drugstore or higher end. They seem the same...copies.

Any thoughts?

I have no problems with people wanting to extend their brands.  Celebrities are singular brands and they add merch to their brands all the time.  Some have had dolls, bobble heads, wigs, (Raquel Welch) and so much more.  It's the American way....

I don't have to buy it, so it doesn't bother me.  I can't say they are the same because they likely are not the same.  The only thing I do know is that there are only a very few large conglomerates that own most beauty brands.  This is true at least for all of the ones that have history.  

I'm not sure about the newer stuff, but didn't Kylie sell her stuff to Coty?  As an African American woman, I sure do hope that the new influx of products for women who look like me don't sell to the highest bidder as they get more and more popular.  This seems to be the way to make a killing upfront though.  Then, only time will tell how well all of these new brands will fair.  The free market at it's finest........................

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I think the demographic that will purchase their products and who their main focus in appealing to are young women...

I agree @Trinity11 , but it's also their fan base.  I can't say for sure that Gaga, Gwen and Kylie only have a young fan base.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Many celebrity cosmetics are made in the same factories as name brand products are made. For example, Kylie Cosmetics is made by Colourpop. 

@SilleeMee Kylie Cosmetics is owned by Coty.  Color Pop is another brand.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Shanus I ignore them. Celeb endorsements mean nothing to me. For years I used Maybelline, Revlon and Cover Girl products and they worked just fine.

These are not endorsements @Love my grandkids .  These are celebrity owned lines.  A lot of the time it's a partnership with the distribution company owning half and the celebrity owning half or some figure in between.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I bet there are members here who know a whole lot more about ingredients than these celebrities.

Well of course @JeanLouiseFinch .  Guess why?  They have a company make the products for them and mass produce them.  It's the same with clothing lines on the Q.  Do you think every merchant selling clothes on the Q has knowledge about fabrics and sewing and creating garments or do you think they have people who do it for them?

I also think it's the same with the celebrity colognes and perfumes.  Each celebrity is stretching out their brand because, technically speaking whether they are actors, or singers they themselves are a brand.