Super Contributor

Just some info if you are like me and don't really see a difference between BB and CC Creams...

BB creams are an Asian import that have become super popular in the last two years here in the US. BB creams provide coverage with added skin care benefits like SPF and anti-oxidants–the list goes on depending on what brand you choose. They’re lighter than foundation but heavier than tinted moisturizers. While the additives in BB creams can have the same efficacy as they would in stand-alone serums, be careful about counting on BB creams for adequate sun protection. “My only concern is that since BB cream is generally tinted, women use less on their face,” Manhattan dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf said. Meaning you won’t slather it on the way you do–or should–with a more traditional sunscreen, resulting in inadequate protection.

CC Creams: The difference between BB and CC creams is subtle--CC generally stands for “color correcting” and the products are meant to address issues like redness or sallowness (usually with light-diffusing particles), whereas BB creams are like lighter foundation with a few skin care benefits thrown in. “CC cream is a color corrector and will be lighter on the skin [than a BB cream],” celeb makeup artist Nico Guilis told us. “They have more of a whipped, light, fluffy feel and finish--kind of the new and improved BB.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Just some info if you are like me and don't really see a difference between BB and CC Creams...

Here's what Paula's Choice says about them. I read this a while back and thought it was interesting.

If you've been reading fashion magazines, beauty blogs, or shopping for cosmetics lately you have most likely heard or seen something about a new group of products referred to as BB, CC, or even DD creams. It's a veritable alphabet soup of new products, all with enticing claims.

These creams are being launched rapid fire by cosmetics companies trying to take advantage of the fad. Not surprisingly consumers are curious to find out if the claims about BB and CC creams are true. These creams are supposed to do everything from fading dark spots and healing breakouts to fighting wrinkles, lightening dark circles, and brightening skin tone—who wouldn't be intrigued?

<h2 style="margin: 20px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 2px; border: 0px; font-family: ProximaNova-SemiBold, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.167em; font-weight: normal; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;"> What Are BB Creams?</h2>

BB Creams were originally developed in Germany and used for skin care following a cosmetic surgical procedure. "BB" stood for "Blemish Balm" (blemish referring to any skin imperfection, not just breakouts). They caught on big in Korea, and then became must-have beauty products in most of East Asia. When these products hit the U.S. market, they were renamed as Beauty Balms.

Regardless of the country, the main selling point of all BB creams is that for the most part they provide some amount of coverage akin to a sheer foundation along with some extra perks, like sun protection, skin lightening, and anti-aging ingredients—a type of all-in-one product for daytime.

A caveat to be aware of: BB creams from Asian and Western companies are not the same. Asian BB creams tend to be thicker, with higher levels of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide for more opaque sun protection and foundation-like coverage. In a nod to cultural preference, Asian BBs are also expected to produce a whiter appearance on skin. In contrast, most Western BB creams are closer to a lightweight tinted moisturizer with a natural, sheer appearance and the sunscreen base may or may not contain mineral actives.

What about the extra benefits BB creams are said to have? That depends largely on the individual formula. While some do contain a great mix of antioxidants and sunscreen, there are also some to avoid. A few our favorite BB Creams include Ulta Flawless Finish BB Cream SPF 30 ($15), Revlon PhotoReady BB Cream Skin Perfector SPF 30 ($8.49), and Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm SPF 20($34). Of course, you can also consider a tinted moisturizer to use as a BB cream. A product like Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte Tint SPF 30 ($14.95)may not be labeled "BB cream" but offers the same benefit as the best Western-style BBs out there.

<h2 style="margin: 20px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 2px; border: 0px; font-family: ProximaNova-SemiBold, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.167em; font-weight: normal; vertical-align: baseline; color: #505050;"> What Are CC Creams?</h2>

CC Creams are a variation on the BB creams some companies are launching to separate their products from the glut of options out there. The CC initials typically stand for "color" and "correct." These products generally provide more coverage than BB creams but not always, and are pitched as being formulas that can cover flaws as well as provide skin benefits (like reducing redness or dark spots), but they don't always do that.

The truth? Any great liquid or cream foundation should provide the same color correction and many foundations have skin beneficial ingredients, too! But if curiosity leads you to check out CC creams, a couple of the better ones are Olay Total Effects CC Cream 7-in-1 Tone Correcting UV Moisturizer SPF 15 ($22.99) andSmashbox Camera Ready CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Dark Spot Correcting ($42). But again, any great foundation with sunscreen negates the need for a CC cream.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Just some info if you are like me and don't really see a difference between BB and CC Creams...

I stopped searching for the right foundation after I discovered Lumene BB cream. I recently purchased Lumene CC cream because it was on sale on the BB cream wasn't. What the heck -- how different could they be?

Two completely different animals. I was surprised that the medium shade was not the same at all. Medium in the CC cream is much lighter and more neutral (not quite yellow and not quite pink).

A different color, a different texture, a different scent, a different result.

At first I was mortified. And now I actually like the stuff. Good thing, too, because I bought three tubes. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

On 7/19/2014 just bee said:

I stopped searching for the right foundation after I discovered Lumene BB cream. I recently purchased Lumene CC cream because it was on sale on the BB cream wasn't. What the heck -- how different could they be?

Two completely different animals. I was surprised that the medium shade was not the same at all. Medium in the CC cream is much lighter and more neutral (not quite yellow and not quite pink).

A different color, a different texture, a different scent, a different result.

At first I was mortified. And now I actually like the stuff. Good thing, too, because I bought three tubes. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Hi just bee ! I agree with your description of the Lumene CC cream. What I have done is mix the BB and the CC! Just a half a pea size drop of each, mix together with your fingers and press or spread on. It is a really really nice finish!! Who knew?? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

I like the Lumene CC cream better too. I use the light and it was lighter than the BB, which was better for me. I got better coverage.

Honored Contributor

I have tested out several BB & CC creams and all of them vary from brand to brand as far as sheer or medium coverage, etc. I recently read that a CC which is suppose to be color correcting is applied to the skin first followed by your foundation (interesting). I believe the BB & CC are just another creation to make money. Tinted moisturizers with a twist -- that's what I call them. I actually own a BB by Rimmel with SPF 25 which is quite nice. I ordered Josie's tinted moisturizer with SPF but had to return because of the shade coloring (horrible). I don't know how women are wearing it. Fair is so yellow. Light 1 is orange. I don't darn to go any further. It's too bad as I was hoping it would work. I wish Josie would get it together with her shades.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I've tried one BB cream, Tarte, because it was a sample that I purchased at Ulta out of curiosity. looks good and has sunscreen in it so it is useful in a pinch. The only other I've tried is a CC cream from skinn. That I received in a bundle with some other products. It's basically a tinted moisturizer no sunscreen. Kind of useless