Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just saw on the news asbestos was found in Claire's (stores) makeup

I am careful what I buy in the Dollar stores too

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

China has tried to kill us in many different way, ie, asbestos in their wallboards/insulation, dog food (killed tens of thousands of dogs), children's toys, lots of items at the 99 cent stores that originated in China, ie, toothpaste.If something is to be eaten and it says made in China --- do not buy!!!! They have very low standards and just don't care.

Bingo!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

The FDA doesn’t even regulate vitamin supplements! If you want more power to this agency, I suggest in 2018 people start voting in people who care about their constituents & not their donors.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The FDA doesn’t even regulate vitamin supplements! If you want more power to this agency, I suggest in 2018 people start voting in people who care about their constituents & not their donors.

Some supplements are regulated by the FDA. If they are prescribed by a doctor then they have to be. The FDA can also recall any dietary supplement if they find it to be unsafe.

From the FDA website:

"How Vitamins are Regulated

Vitamin products are regulated by FDA as "Dietary Supplements." The law defines dietary supplements, in part, as products taken by mouth that contain a "dietary ingredient" intended to supplement the diet.

Listed in the "dietary ingredient" category are not only vitamins, but minerals, botanicals products, amino acids, and substances such as enzymes, microbial probiotics, and metabolites. Dietary supplements can also be extracts or concentrates, and may be found in many forms. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 requires that all such products be labeled as dietary supplements.

In June 2007, FDA established dietary supplement "current Good Manufacturing Practice" (cGMP) regulations requiring that manufacturers evaluate their products through testing identity, purity, strength, and composition."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I trust Andrew Lessman supplements.  i found some high-priced Sephora Anastasia palettes were made in CHINA.  AWFUL

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Aren't some brands sold on QVC made in China?  I am referring to skin care.  I have one in mind, but I don't want to say it as I'm not SURE.

Interestingly, the info on the product pages says "imported."  Does not say what country - I would like to know that.  Went to another brand that also says "imported," but no country.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

,Re: Just saw on the news asbestos was found in Claire's (stores) makeup

@winamac1 wrote:

I trust Andrew Lessman supplements.  i found some high-priced Sephora Anastasia palettes were made in CHINA.  AWFUL

You made me go look at my Renaissance palette.  It says made in USA. However, I still wonder where the ingredients come from. 

Honored Contributor

I've noticed some of my mail order clothing catalogues have switched from the country to "imported."  Must be a loophole in the law, but I'm pretty sure the garments themselves must state the actual country.  I'm going to look at everything from now on, especially makeup.  Sadly some of my favorite brands have items from China.

Respected Contributor

I try to not buy anything made in China.  Especially something that is applied to the skin or ingested.

Just think, if no one buys items made in China maybe things will start being made here in the states again. 

I do my best.