Honored Contributor

Just received my WEN CLV today- my inital impression of the scent

Hi ladies, FINALLY I got my trio in the mail Took forever. So I opened up the CLV and I'd have to say, it is the spitting "scent" (lol) of BBW's Coconut Lime Verbena. So for those of you who love that scent, I'd thik you'd love the scent of this. I personally am not a fan of that scent but another person had mentioned it smelled like that to her so I was kind of prepared it might (plus the exact same name, lol). Anyway, I won't be able to try it until tomorrow so I will post my thoughts on my initial impressions of the performance afterwards.

Anyone else just try it recently who didn't post on the original CLV review thread want to chime in?

Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just received my WEN CLV today- my inital impression of the scent

@HappyDaze wrote:

Hi ladies, FINALLY I got my trio in the mail Took forever. So I opened up the CLV and I'd have to say, it is the spitting "scent" (lol) of BBW's Coconut Lime Verbena. So for those of you who love that scent, I'd thik you'd love the scent of this. I personally am not a fan of that scent but another person had mentioned it smelled like that to her so I was kind of prepared it might (plus the exact same name, lol). Anyway, I won't be able to try it until tomorrow so I will post my thoughts on my initial impressions of the performance afterwards.

Anyone else just try it recently who didn't post on the original CLV review thread want to chime in?

Smiley Happy

I'm so glad you finally got yours. I been using the oils every night, and I'm finding this to be a wonderful (and clarifying) first cleanse to remove the oils. Of course, second cleasne is SHP. SHP is acutaly more moisturizing than fig, for my hair. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs on your hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks nolimit!

I find that SHP is a better moisturizing CC than fig for my hair, not necessarily more moisturizing, if that makes sense? Fig just kind of makes my hair heavily "coated" feeling sometimes and sometimes can make it look a bit weighed down whereas SHP is super moisturizing but also makes my hair bouncy and with a bit of volume, not that I need more volume really but it is nice that it is a bit more voluminous versus weighed down. I think it is due to the type of ingredients used in each to provide that moisture.

If I remember correctly, fig is heavy on the glycerin  whereas SHP has the super moisturizing 4 honey compex. Glycerin can be helpful in pulling in moisture into the hair but it can also work the opposite- pulling moisture OUT of the hair- in the right environment (much drier climates, less humid). So SHP, to me, is also a more consistent moistruzing CC than the fig is.

Just my two cents. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I agree with you. I had great luck with fig for many, many years. You are definltiely correct in that SHP gives you "lighter hair" with just as much moisture (in my case, maybe even more moisture than fig) I just love it, and I so hope gallons are offered next year. Again, can't wait to hear your thoughts on CLV; I think it will be very interesting since it seems like the results are all over the place. I used CLV once for both cleanses and my hair was a little dry. I feel like this is a good one for anyone who may use the oils, or anyone who uses a good amount of styling products or leave in (I use nothing and air dry)

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you finally got your trio. I agree that CLV smells like the B&B Works version of that scent. I like the scent. It's not my favorite, though. I prefer the scent of smc much more when it comes to the summer scents. I can't wait to hear what you think of the performance. It made my hair a little too fluffy for my liking. I have only used it twice. Lately, I have been sticking with the wheat based cc's. They work the best on my hair. My hair is a little wavy and can get pretty big with humidity, etc. I actually like the way the wheat based cc's weigh my hair down a little. My hair does need the calming, but I can see that those who like a little more volume would like the CLV. I didn't think it was drying. My ends felt moisturized, but my hair was too fluffy. I hope that makes sense. I'm looking forward to your review.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

nolimit: Yes I pretty much only air dry (only blow dry on special occasions) and don't use any styling products so I don't need anything "clarifying". I always feel anything with citrus oils will be a bit more clarifying so that was one of my hesitation with trying this (and why I didn't try SOB or WWC). However, since it only had one citrus extract and several moisturizing ingredients, I thought perhaps it may be more moisturizing than most but the majority of reviews I've read makes it sound like it isn't very moisturizing. Not necessarilly drying either but nothing like SHP.

Hilary: I will certainly give my results. Tomorrow I will use only CLV and let it airdry with nothing in it to see how it turns out. That usually gives me the best idea of how it will work for my hair. I don't like fluffy hair and don't really need volume so if that happens with this, it won't be a win for me.  But luckily my GF is waiting in the wings for me to trade with her, hoping I won't love it, lol. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I got mine yesterday and tried it this morning.  I really liked it.  It was very frothy, easy to rinse and left my hair very soft,  shiny and fluffy.  I have fine absolutely straight hair so i likedi the extra body i got.  I thought the scent was pretty and not strong.  So all in all this one is a winner for me. 

Regular Contributor

Thank for starting this thread, HappyDaze.  I'm amazed that I found it.  Anyway, I too received my three piece yesterday and used it this morning.

I'll preface by saying that I was not a fan of the mango coconut.  It smelled like Coppertone to me and made my hair frizz.  

The CC and mist smell the same to me.  It seems to be an equal balance of lime and coconut and verbena.  I get the most lime out of the oil  I was hoping for more lime in all three.

The verbena really seemed to bloom in the shower.  It rinsed fairly well and my hair felt hydrated. I also used it as my leave in.

I used the oil and mist in my styling cocktail.  The only other product I used was 613 SC ( I use that no matter what other scent CC I use).  I too like to give a new scent a good trial, so I just put it up in a ponytail and let it air dry.  I just took it down and my hair does seem to be soft, curls defined.  I can still smell the CLV, lime and verbena prominent with just a touch of coconut.  

I may actually like this scent, which would be a first as the other summer offerings haven't been my cup of tea.  The true test will be when I blow it out.  With the heat coming back again I'm not sure when that will be.  I do look forward to using the oil as an overnight scalp treatment.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your reviews,  RawkinFoodie and stripyfax!

Respected Contributor

Hi all! I got the CLV 3 piece set yesterday.  

As far as the scent goes it seems each CLV product is a bit different:

The oil was delightful to sleep in because it seemed lighter both in scent and viscosity than other oils (SHP).  As I drifted off to sleep, I kept thinking that it smelled like a lime slushy with a coconut twist.  

The RTM is very lightly scented. More lime than coconut. I'm not sure what verbena scent is supposed to smell like.  I have two different verbena flowers (red and white) and the leaves and flowers have no scent!  I liked the performance of the CLV RTM to revive and hydrate my curls thoughout the day.

In the shower, I used 15 pumps of BGT CC for my first cleanse (mainly to get the CLV oil lifted) and then 15 pumps of my new CLV CC.  I agree with with another reviewer that it rinses out easily.  The scent to me was like a lime slushy with a twist of coconut.  I finished off with one and one half pumps of CLV CC.  

Performance compared to SHP or SOB is less moisturizing, but still good.  Seemed like I had more frizz, but in all fairness, it is really humid and rainy today.  

I would have loved to style with the CLV SC and mousse. Sure hope this duo makes an appearance soon.