Super Contributor

Just read a thread from 2014

here about dermarolling, but want to read more recent opinions and experiences!

For those of you who continued doing it, how has your progress been?

Which ‘Roller over the years did you decide was your favorite?

What did you apply after using?

....and any other recs. info. or experiences

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just read a thread from 2014

@JumpTheRope , i suggest you click on the three dots in the upper right corner of your post, and edit your thread title.

You are not posting about old threads.

You are looking for first hand experience on dermarolling.

Like: 'Anyone here dermarolling?'

You might get some replies.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've been rolling for over five years, at least. My skin is smoother, firmer and pores are practically nonexistent. Over the years I have used different brands, shapes and size needles...depending on the area on my face and neck which gets treated. I never use anything less than 0.5mm and never longer than 1.5mm. I stop with my Retin-A for three days prior to treatments. After rolling I always apply an organic 100% pure camelia oil, and nothing more. I wait 24 hours before resuming my routine skin care regime, except for Retin-A which I start applying 72 hours post-roll. It's best not to apply makeup or sunscreen for least 72 hour, but safe to use it after 24 hours...it's just not good to apply it sooner than that. My treatments are limited to six consecutive once monthly sessions and then I break for at least 4 to 6 months to allow for maximum collagen/elastin formation and stabilization in the skin. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

thanks ! 

Your routine sounds very organized and well thought out. 

So even the shorter needles you use only 1/mo.?

I did get a .25 before I realized that it’s not the most effective length.

But it’s an inexpensive roller and can’t hurt to start with !

From the 2014 thread this was a “new thing”, so I was curious if anyone had stuck with it long term.

I have a junkyard of devices I used once or twice that were expensive compared to a roller.

It would be ironic if a $5 roller was just as good as a $250+device.

Isomers hylaronic will be my post treatment, or glycerin.

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope 

There are basically two reasons why microneedling is done. One reason is to cause collagen to form in the skin but with this you must use 0.5mm needles. The other reason needling is done is to exfoliate the skin and this is done using the shorter needles, for example the Beauty Bioscience roller, which is designed to 'prep' the skin for better absorption of skin care products. Both lengths are effective for what they are intended to do. Any size microneedle less than 0.5mm can be used daily or at your discretion depending on how your skin reacts. Needles which are 0.5mm or longer should not be used more than once every 3 to 4 weeks because with this length collagen is being formed and if you use it too often then that can disrupt and destroy any collagen being formed...you may experience more wrinkling and inflammation....not good.

Super Contributor

Thank you for so much detailed information!

I did just start a thread topic regarding my First Experience!  lol