Regular Contributor

Just for fun - products I splurge on and products I don't!

I thought it'd be fun to share some of our "can't-live-without" products that we ALWAYS purchase, even if they are pricey, and also those drugstore products we love as dupes for the more expensive brands.

Here are my current lists...

Products I always splurge on (b/c they work for me!!)

1. Purity Made Simple (to use w/ my Clarisonic)

2. Clinique's All About Eyes & Laserwear Eye Creams

3. Calvin Klein's Euphoria lotion & perfume (I am not a big perfume wearer - I like lighter scents - but when I reach for perfume, this one seems to work well w/ my body chemistry)

4. LORAC eye shadow trios

5. Prescriptives' "Traceless" foundation

6. Laura Geller Balance & Brighten (to set my foundation)

7. Mally eyeliners

8. OPI nail polish (my favorite, but will only buy if it's a have-to-have color)

9. Clinique mascara

10. Edited to add: Tan Towels

Cheaper products I continue to buy (b/c they work for me, too!!)

1. Oil of Olay basic moisturizer w/ SPF (not from any particular skincare line they have - just the very basic, cheapest version)

2. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (I use this in the AM and Purity in the PM)

3. Bath & Body Works orange ginger lotion (in their aromatherapy line)

4. Oil of Olay's CC cream (as my foundation when not using Prescriptives)

5. Physician's Formula eyeliners (almost as good as Mally's!)

6. e.l.f. eye primer (from Target)

7. Sally Hansen nail polish

8. Burt's Bees hand salve & lip balm

9. CoverGirl stick concealer

10. Stridex pads

11. Queen Helene's mint julep mask (Walmart)

12. St. Ives' apricot face scrub

13. Neutrogena's pore refining toner

Okay - your turn! Share your favorites!

Ophelia {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just for fun - products I splurge on and products I don't!

In a general sense, I don't mind paying extra if something out performs something else. Sometimes the extra expense comes from S&H. I am always looking for the best performers and sometimes substitutes just don't do.

The only dupe I'm using now is Top Care eye cream that I put on first thing when I wake up. I just want to keep my eye area moisturized, and this will do until I use my Victoria Principal eye things when I get ready for the day, which is usually a couple hours later.

Esteemed Contributor

Splurge - Dermalogica products (several; love their skin care!) Cheaper products - Neutrogenia make-up remover towelettes
Honored Contributor

I haven't found anything that I can't live without yet...I am still trying everything both expensive and less costly.This is leading me to the fact that I probably need medical procedures.I am too far gone,
Respected Contributor

#1) Philosophy. For at least a year I been useing Amazing Grace, Living Grace and Fresh Cream as my only perfume and plan to be loyal to the product line. I also use the shower gels quite often

#2) Redken ad Hempz. I buy a lot of hair products but it seems I always come back to these two eventually.

3) Wen oils. yet I hate the cc's but the oils are great on my dry winter skin

Cheaper Products:

1) Suave Professionals. I tried Sleek, Shea Butter & Almond, Moroccan Oil, Keratin infusion, Volume and Volume mousse(silver packaging) and the new Luxe line of the volume mousse and volume blowdry spray ad they are amazingly good. I also like Pantene Strong and Full for it really does plump your hair up!

2) Macadamia Oil from Hair Chemist. The oil I think is #2 on the ingredient list yet it is only $10 at sallys beauty supply. Also the suave macadamia oil and suave moroccan oil.

Super Contributor

Mally Eyeshadow Sticks..........Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow pencils on sale for $3.49. Some of Mally's shades are just different and for them I'll pay extra.

Bare Escentuals/Benefit Mascaras.........Maybelline's Lash Sensational is now my HG mascara. In fact, I've begun to buy multiples and find that I'm now hoarding them! If this is ever discontinued or 'improved' I'll be SO irked!!

Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24h........either Cover Girl Outlast 3-in-1 or Maybelline Fit Me for Oily/Combo skin. While the CG wears just as long as the Lancome, both foundations cover just as well (I have redness, acne scars and hyperpigmentation) and for the $$ savings, I'll stick with the cheaper options!

I use only cheap versions of concealer and face powder. As for lipstick, it is SO difficult to find good shades for me since my lips are naturally so pink. Even reds that I think will look good turn out hot pink on me. NOT GOOD. Still looking for a good one. I don't want to blot out my natural color b/c after lunch it still has to look good and I'm not bringing products with me to blot out my natural color to work. There has got to be a shade that will work for me somewhere. I'll continue to search!!

Super Contributor

I can manage really well with beauty products from drugstore and Avon ... save my money to splurge elsewhere.

Fortunately, I have no skin issues and can manage w/o spending a lot of money.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Kathleen said:

I can manage really well with beauty products from drugstore and Avon ... save my money to splurge elsewhere.

Fortunately, I have no skin issues and can manage w/o spending a lot of money.

That's me, too. Even perfume is bought at discount from Marshalls/ TJ Maxx and Walgreen's website. Occasionally a Laura Gellar item from ebay.

Right now I am loving Pond's Rejuvenesse (sp?) from the drugstore.

One splurge: Tatcha oil cleanser and rice enzyme powder.

Honored Contributor

I guess it depends how one defines splurge. I'd say the only beauty product I buy at the drug store is nail polish remover.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I like lancome powder and buy it. Everything else is up for debate.