Honored Contributor

Re: Just curious...why does WEN use menthol?

crisso

For some darn reason I am having trouble "quoting" posts. You asked about different types of menthol

Menthol has different composition when mixed with different ingredients. Menthol can be organic or chemically derived. It can come from corn, peppermint, mint oils, I think there is even a menthol derived from a soy..but don't quote me. There are over 60 species of mint/menthol. It does make a difference which one they use, or "cook" up. Menthol can even be derived from a type of bergamot.

Menthol mixed with sugar and a starch can be different than menthol mixed with alcohol and oil.

Like capsasin (sp) draws warmth, menthol can draw cooling. Hence that is why some might label it drying. Very strong menthol draws the air to applied area, hense drying as it removes skin oil. But when mixed with an emollient it can be fine. Winter green and spearmint are much more potent than garden mint.

People have been using menthol as a healing property since time began. But anything in excess can have problems. As with all things, there can be allergy reactions as well.

The smell of most menthol makes me want to heave-ho. No kidding. Especially spearmint. My family does not even chew spearmint around me, or wintergreen.{#emotions_dlg.scared} Hate is small word here!

Menthol for the most part is harmless, and can be healing. When used properly AND in moderation. Face, NO! But body okay for me. Tea tree is a similar relative. That too I cannot stand.

I use WEN, once a week. I like it. I only use mango coconut, or fig. But I do not use it alone, and I use a conditioner. I use DevaCurl low poo, then a short round of WEN. Then a light conditioner (DevaCurl one).

This is only my opinion and nothing else. An argument has many sides, so I am not looking to argue or insult anyone.

I think all this beautypedia stuff has to be taken with a curious mind and then researched. It is food for thought. There are many ingredients that need to be used in conjunction with another to work. We all know alcohol is not good for the hair, but there is hardly a conditioner alive that will not have it, or a relative or you would never be able to rinse it out. It would wind up a greasy mess.

Also products list ingredients, usually from high to low content. But not always because of patents.

ETA

There is fabulous Aveda Salon in town. They have the best stylist. But I can't even go in there because of the smell of menthol. Smells like BenGay, hahah. I am going to try, but I am SCARED. LOL!

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 shoekitty said:

crisso

For some darn reason I am having trouble "quoting" posts. You asked about different types of menthol

Menthol has different composition when mixed with different ingredients. Menthol can be organic or chemically derived. It can come from corn, peppermint, mint oils, I think there is even a menthol derived from a soy..but don't quote me. There are over 60 species of mint/menthol. It does make a difference which one they use, or "cook" up. Menthol can even be derived from a type of bergamot.

Menthol mixed with sugar and a starch can be different than menthol mixed with alcohol and oil.

Like capsasin (sp) draws warmth, menthol can draw cooling. Hence that is why some might label it drying. Very strong menthol draws the air to applied area, hense drying as it removes skin oil. But when mixed with an emollient it can be fine. Winter green and spearmint are much more potent than garden mint.

People have been using menthol as a healing property since time began. But anything in excess can have problems. As with all things, there can be allergy reactions as well.

The smell of most menthol makes me want to heave-ho. No kidding. Especially spearmint. My family does not even chew spearmint around me, or wintergreen.{#emotions_dlg.scared} Hate is small word here!

Menthol for the most part is harmless, and can be healing. When used properly AND in moderation. Face, NO! But body okay for me. Tea tree is a similar relative. That too I cannot stand.

I use WEN, once a week. I like it. I only use mango coconut, or fig. But I do not use it alone, and I use a conditioner. I use DevaCurl low poo, then a short round of WEN. Then a light conditioner (DevaCurl one).

This is only my opinion and nothing else. An argument has many sides, so I am not looking to argue or insult anyone.

I think all this beautypedia stuff has to be taken with a curious mind and then researched. It is food for thought. There are many ingredients that need to be used in conjunction with another to work. We all know alcohol is not good for the hair, but there is hardly a conditioner alive that will not have it, or a relative or you would never be able to rinse it out. It would wind up a greasy mess.

Also products list ingredients, usually from high to low content. But not always because of patents.

ETA

There is fabulous Aveda Salon in town. They have the best stylist. But I can't even go in there because of the smell of menthol. Smells like BenGay, hahah. I am going to try, but I am SCARED. LOL!

Not crisso but I just wanted to clarify something regarding the part in your post I bolded. The beautypedia information cites actual scientific studies (as shown in the information SuzyQ copied) to back up the information she presents so it isn't really Paula's opinion but information she is presenting and backing up with scientific research. There are many scientific studies that have shown the irritation factor she indicates in her article but you certainly can start with the studies she cites and then look in the scientific journals for even more. I am sure you could find some that show that there may be some benefits of menthol in skincare and haircare but the facts overwhelmingly show that despite the potential benefits (like acting as fungicide), it causes more harm then good, especially long-term.

Honored Contributor

shoekitty, if you google "menthol irritant," you'll get lots of credible hits. In my Post #17, I chose to quote from both Beautypedia and futurederm.com. There are others that describe the way menthol works and the irritation that it can cause, including contact dermatitis.

As HappyDaze said, it really isn't a Paula Begoun issue.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 3/3/2015 shoekitty said:

crisso

ETA

Thanks shoekitty. Initially I had trouble understanding what other types of menthol there could be, but now I see from this post that you were in the main speaking to the chemical interactions of menthol with other ingredients and percentages in the overall formulation in products.

I agree that "less is better", but I am of the school where "none is best". Menthol is harsh whether in skin or hair products and I don't believe that "for the most part [Menthol] is harmless."

I too have certain scents that have me running for cover! I cannot be within a mile of a Lush store, let alone step into one. ....but that is a whole other matter..... {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

On 3/3/2015 suzyQ3 said:

shoekitty, if you google "menthol irritant," you'll get lots of credible hits. In my Post #17, I chose to quote from both Beautypedia and futurederm.com. There are others that describe the way menthol works and the irritation that it can cause, including contact dermatitis.

As HappyDaze said, it really isn't a Paula Begoun issue.

Hey there, suzyQ3. I repeated the info in your post #17 without rechecking the thread. I seem to be doing that lots lately. I really should stop drinking in the evenings! Just kidding!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared} {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

I could care less what or what not menthol does at this point. I don't always have to be right. And I may not be often, but I answered what someone asked. The OP asked why they use menthol. and I answered why someone might want to put it in their products. I can't stop manufacturers from doing that. I answered her question, I didn't say I was for it. Then Crisso asked a question and I answered her, I was coming from the position of being neutral on the subject. There ARE reasons people use it )even if I don't agree), many holistic medicines use menthol as well as lavender, and many oils and herbs we may now deem as irritating. I guess it is their choice.

You are going to get 2 sides to all this cosmetic stuff. Just like the petroleum issue, or mineral oil. I do not care for Paula at all. Just don't. But that doesn't mean she isn't an important figure in the cosmetic industry.

ETA

In my post when I said" menthol for the most part can be harmless and has healing properties", That is what manufacturers are thinking. I can't think of any other reason they would put in their product. I am sure they aren't thinking, "Gee what toxic ingredient can I put in this shampoo so someone can die and sue me so I can loose everything I worked for." LOL!

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 shoekitty said:

I could care less what or what not menthol does at this point. I don't always have to be right. The OP asked why they use menthol and I told her why someone might want to put it in their products. I can't stop manufacturers from doing that. I answered her question, I didn't say I was for it. Then Crisso asked a question and I answered her, I was coming from the position of being neutral on the subject. There ARE reasons people use it )even if I don't agree), many holistic medicines use menthol as well as lavender, and many oils and herbs we may now deem as irritating. I guess it is their choice.

You are going to get 2 sides to all this cosmetic stuff. Just like the petroleum issue, or mineral oil. I do not care for Paula at all. Just don't. But that doesn't mean she isn't an important figure in the cosmetic industry.

No worries, shoekitty. I got it. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/4/2015 shoekitty said:

I could care less what or what not menthol does at this point. I don't always have to be right. The OP asked why they use menthol and I told her why someone might want to put it in their products. I can't stop manufacturers from doing that. I answered her question, I didn't say I was for it. Then Crisso asked a question and I answered her, I was coming from the position of being neutral on the subject. There ARE reasons people use it )even if I don't agree), many holistic medicines use menthol as well as lavender, and many oils and herbs we may now deem as irritating. I guess it is their choice.

No worries, shoekitty. I got it. Smile

LOL! Hahahahah. Thanks crisso! , cuz I am weary and tired of menthol{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Contributor

Does the tea tree formula help with new hair growth?

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 FluffybytheSea said:

Does the tea tree formula help with new hair growth?

I doubt any hair cleanser - with or without poo - is responsible for new hair growth. IMO it all comes down to how healthy your body is.