Honored Contributor

Re: Just curious...why does WEN use menthol?

I'm not seeing any hate here one way or the other. I thought it was a discussion about an ingredient.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

it is all about underlying intent. It always seems to be about engaging in a negative discourse regarding a product that so many people like. It has become so redundant replaying the same stuff over and over. Why?? I don't see any explanation other than just wanting to be negative. Fine if people don't want to use WEN but there is nothing new here than hasn't been discussed before. So why rehash a stale conversation. It just kind of gets old very quickly.

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 untitled said:

it is all about underlying intent. It always seems to be about engaging in a negative discourse regarding a product that so many people like. It has become so redundant replaying the same stuff over and over. Why?? I don't see any explanation other than just wanting to be negative. Fine if people don't want to use WEN but there is nothing new here than hasn't been discussed before. So why rehash a stale conversation. It just kind of gets old very quickly.

perhaps this person hasn't visited the wen forums before (not sure, haven't checked posting history) and was looking to understand one of the ingredients. I honestly do not feel the OP's post was nasty or had an underlying intent. Some of us try to avoid certain ingredients and that is okay. I actually enjoy a discussion regarding ingredients of any and all products. I find I learn alot and also try to dispel incorrect information when I can.

What is unfortunate about threads like this is that there are some that just sit lurking for the opportunity to say something negative about the product (or, in this case, the creator) whenever they can, even if they've never used it, as evident in a few posts.

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 suzyQ3 said:

I'm not seeing any hate here one way or the other. I thought it was a discussion about an ingredient.

Try # 12, next to the last sentence for example, and this is pretty mild considering the usual.

That's exactly MY point.

Why can't we just talk about the ingredients and the product? But someone always chimes in with a personal comment.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

why are there WEN haters lurkin on the WEN forums? seems so childish and immature to me.

I use WEN and love it!! My hair is alot healthier since I started using WEN. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I dislike other product brands...but I would NEVER go and post hateful comments about the product or the owner of the product line. seems so easy to hide behind a computer screen and talk trash these days. where is your self respect, your integrity, your brain? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

why has this thread become about wen haters and not simply discussing the pros and cons of an ingredient?

Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 HappyDaze said:

why has this thread become about wen haters and not simply discussing the pros and cons of an ingredient? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

well IMO, at times all it takes is one post where someone makes an unpleasant remark about Chaz (post #12) and someone else responds to that remark. Others see the same remark and comment and it takes off .... then you have a back and forth, name calling, insults, same old same old...tiresome? yes. Predictable? well some wen shows coming up next week and a TSV later this month so I'm predict many more unpleasant threads....

and if you try and keep the thread on topic I'm guessing someone will call you the 'board police' and then probably add more fuel to the fire....

remember some have admitted to making inflammatory remarks so they can "sit back and watch the fireworks"... Wink

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

On 3/3/2015 HappyDaze said:

why has this thread become about wen haters and not simply discussing the pros and cons of an ingredient? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I learned long ago, do not feed the trolls--it only encourages them. Lacking a psychology degree, I can't explain why some people behave the way they do. But I have definitely learned the hard way, and by observing others, that with some people the only way minimize the drama is to just ignore them.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Kathleen said:

I don't use WEN, but I have used some hair products with menthol (with not-so-good-results).

I suspect that it's to give the illusion of a clean tingly scalp ... sort of like a breath mind for your hair. Natural body oils (e.g. sebum - google "sebum scalp") can be really stinky and I don't know that WEN actually removes all of them. Hence the menthol and various scents.

Actually, many hair products that promote hair growth through scalp stimulation contain peppermint - i.e. Paul Mitchell, Nioxin (shampoo for hair loss), etc. Not to suggest that it is not irritating to some, but it's more than to give an illusion of clean scalp.

http://www.loxabeauty.com/paul-mitchell-tea-tree-special-shampoo?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1NWnBRDchObfnYrbo78BE...

Honored Contributor

I do understand that sometimes people just want to start trouble. But honestly, everybody seemed to ignore Post #12 and continue talking about the ingredient, until Post #21, where the offending post was quoted.

Sometimes when it's just one comment that seems unnecessary, it might be better to ignore it the way most did here. I really think everybody just wanted to discuss an ingredient.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland