Honored Contributor

Re: Just curious...why does WEN use menthol?

On 3/2/2015 Missy823 said:
On 3/2/2015 Lindy Lou said: Missy823, where did you find this? I really thought that a maybe the opposite was true, as the cores have more of a menthol smell to them, at least to my nose.?? just wondering.

The menthol is higher up on the ingredients list for the seasonals. For the core formulas its towards the end of the listing.

I don't really agree with this. The cores have alot less ingredients so it is hard to really compare the two. For example, SAM has menthol at the 17th ingredient, whereas SHL has it at the 22 ingredient. So "technically", the seasonals have either less menthol or about the same as the cores. Plus, with about twice as many ingredients in the seasonals than the cores, the menthol scent is more diluted in terms of scent at least so you may feel/smell it less than in the cores.

Here is an example:

Sweet Almond Mint: Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

Honey Lilac: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Aloe
Vera Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Lilac Extract, Green Tea Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract, White Tea Leaf Extract, Rooibos Red Tea Extract, Black Tea Leaf Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Goji Fruit Extract, Acai Fruit Extract, Chamomile Flower/Leaf Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Seaweed Extract, Menthol, Panthenol (Pro­Vitamin B5), Palmitoyl Tripeptide­1, Palmitoyl
Tetrapeptide­7, L­Valine, L­Threonine, L­Proline, L­Isoleucine, L­Phenylaline, L­Histidine, L­Alanine, L­Serine, L­Arginine, L­Aspartic Acid, Glycine, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Glycerin, PCA, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Citric Acid, Amodimethicone, Carbomer, Polysorbate­60, Polysorbate­20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

Honored Contributor

I personally wouldn't assume that the % of menthol is higher in the seasonals. The core formulas don't have the amino's which are what many of the those ingredients listed after the menthol are in the honey lilac list. I seriously doubt there is even a full mg of each of the amino acids in the CCs. So all those names don't add up to much weight wise.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

The fact that Wen does contain menthol and some other odd ingredients, is the exact reason that I have not used it. AND, seems everyone on QVC has a shtick, buyer beware! I am regularly skeptical I guess!!!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

My thoughts are Wen doesn't clean like regular shampoo, so he puts it in so you'll feel like it's cleaning. Just my thoughts. I can't find any evidence from creditable medical sources for using it.

Occasional Contributor

I haven't used traditional shampoo in many years and my hair is very clean and smells wonderful. For me ....works better than shampoo and does not strip my hair and leave it a kinky frizzy mess. Working in the medical field and with the public, I obviously need to look and smell presentable. Why do you need medical evidence to use a hair cleaning formula. If you like it .... use it ... if not not .... don't. It's really very simple.
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 wagirl said:

And is there a law that says I CAN'T post what I did??? I don't think so--I've heard far worse about many things than this. And the man is all over TV so, of course I've seen him and know who he is. Chill---ladies!!!!

wagirl,

Yes, I know all about the first amendment and your right to speak freely. You also have the right to stand in a crowded movie theater and yell "fire." I have also heard and seen worse, don't need to follow suit. I simply asked nicely why you felt it necessary to add this "The guy has always creeped me out and I never watch his shows. Stoopid me!!!!" comment to your review.

So many people seem unable to say they don't like WEN without adding nastiness about Chaz, and I just wonder why that is. As far as I can tell, I'm not un-chilled.

Finis

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I dug out one of my old Wen pamphlets. This is what it said about menthol: ""Menthol has local-anesthetic and counter-irritant properties. Can also reduce itching and tenderness.""
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

As for the OP's question, menthol is probably in there because the benefits are supported by plenty of research.

Market research.

Market research which says that those ingredients will more easily allow them to jam more buzzwords onto the packaging, and get more people to buy it.

Menthol is a penetration enhancer and has not been safety tested by the CIR, a panel run and funded by the cosmetic industry.

Super Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Hilary77 said: I dug out one of my old Wen pamphlets. This is what it said about menthol: "Menthol has local-anesthetic and counter-irritant properties. Can also reduce itching and tenderness."

Here is Beautypedia's definition of counter-irritants (along with scientific article references):

Ingredients such as menthol, peppermint, camphor, and mint are counter-irritants (Sources: Archives of Dermatologic Research, May 1996, pages 245–248; and Code of Federal Regulations Title 21—Food and Drugs, revised April 1, 2001, CITE: 21CFR310.545, www.fda.gov). Counter-irritants are used to induce local inflammation for the purpose of relieving inflammation in deeper or adjacent tissues. In other words, they substitute one kind of inflammation for another, which is never good for skin. Irritation or inflammation, no matter what causes it or how it happens, impairs the skin’s immune and healing response (Source: Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, November–December 2000, pages 358–371). And although your skin may not show it or doesn’t react in an irritated fashion, if you apply irritants to your skin the damage is still taking place and is ongoing, so it adds up over time (Source: Skin Research and Technology, November 2001, pages 227–237).

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/2/2015 Hilary77 said: I dug out one of my old Wen pamphlets. This is what it said about menthol: "Menthol has local-anesthetic and counter-irritant properties. Can also reduce itching and tenderness."

Here is Beautypedia's definition of counter-irritants (along with scientific article references):

Ingredients such as menthol, peppermint, camphor, and mint are counter-irritants (Sources: Archives of Dermatologic Research, May 1996, pages 245–248; and Code of Federal Regulations Title 21—Food and Drugs, revised April 1, 2001, CITE: 21CFR310.545, www.fda.gov). Counter-irritants are used to induce local inflammation for the purpose of relieving inflammation in deeper or adjacent tissues. In other words, they substitute one kind of inflammation for another, which is never good for skin. Irritation or inflammation, no matter what causes it or how it happens, impairs the skin’s immune and healing response (Source: Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, November–December 2000, pages 358–371). And although your skin may not show it or doesn’t react in an irritated fashion, if you apply irritants to your skin the damage is still taking place and is ongoing, so it adds up over time (Source: Skin Research and Technology, November 2001, pages 227–237).

{#emotions_dlg.crying}