Contributor

Re: Just curious...why does WEN use menthol?

I agree, but I read somewhere that tea tree helps..

Esteemed Contributor

This isn't meant to be flippant...

I thought maybe Bruingirl or Dooters or somebody close to Chaz would be able to give the real answer.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 FluffybytheSea said:

Does the tea tree formula help with new hair growth?

I think it just helps with the hair you have. Tea tree cleanses clogged follicles, it nourishes growing hairs, and preserves "resting hairs" longer. Each follicle has 3 hairs, the grown out hair, new growth and resting hairs. Tea tree can rid scalp of scales, mites, excess clogging oils that can exacerbate the hair to fall out faster.. I don't think it grows new hair, it just encourages the ones you have to grow better, and stay longer. If you have scalp issues.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 shoekitty said:

I could care less what or what not menthol does at this point. I don't always have to be right. And I may not be often, but I answered what someone asked. The OP asked why they use menthol. and I answered why someone might want to put it in their products. I can't stop manufacturers from doing that. I answered her question, I didn't say I was for it. Then Crisso asked a question and I answered her, I was coming from the position of being neutral on the subject. There ARE reasons people use it )even if I don't agree), many holistic medicines use menthol as well as lavender, and many oils and herbs we may now deem as irritating. I guess it is their choice.

You are going to get 2 sides to all this cosmetic stuff. Just like the petroleum issue, or mineral oil. I do not care for Paula at all. Just don't. But that doesn't mean she isn't an important figure in the cosmetic industry.

ETA

In my post when I said" menthol for the most part can be harmless and has healing properties", That is what manufacturers are thinking. I can't think of any other reason they would put in their product. I am sure they aren't thinking, "Gee what toxic ingredient can I put in this shampoo so someone can die and sue me so I can loose everything I worked for." LOL!

I certainly wasn't attacking you. I thought we were just having a discussion about an ingredient. Yes, there will be differing opinions, so I'm not sure that I understand your tone.

As for why companies make certain decisions regarding ingredients, no, I am one who does NOT think that they are out to harm us. I'm usually in the minority in those discussions. But some choices may or may not be the wisest, both according to some people and for some people.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Shoekitty, I noticed today you added another paragraph to your original post. Are you still annoyed? Hope all is good.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Crisso said:

Shoekitty, I noticed today you added another paragraph to your original post. Are you still annoyed? Hope all is good.

Naaah! crisso, everything is okay. Not annoyed. But I did want to clarify a sentence I wrote in my post. It wasn't quite what I meant when I reread the posted version. I have severe arthritis in my hands, and am slow to type. I keep hitting the wrong keys, my fingers are so clumsy.. Anyway, by the time I edit, people have responded to my posts, hahahah.

Occasional Contributor

if you are losing hair check thyroid. I don't think it's the wen.

It can cause you to break a leg though if you don't clean out the shower after.

Contributor

On 3/4/2015 FluffybytheSea said:

Does the tea tree formula help with new hair growth?

WEN user here: many people do find the Tea Tree formula helps with hair growth. However, if you don't want to use WEN, you can buy tea tree oil (don't buy pure tea tree oil, make sure it's diluted as pure tea tree oil will burn your skin) and apply it to your scalp overnight every night. Be forewarned. Tea tree oil has a very distinctive odor to it that is rather medicinal. Most people don't like how it smells (until they get used to it, then most don't mind). Tea tree oil is pretty cheap, so I'd do this rather than WEN. I'd only use Tea Tree WEN if I was already a WEN user as WEN is pretty expensive, IMO.
Valued Contributor

Whatever the reason, it dhuldnt make hair fall out, it should have a good effect as an antiseptic stimulas, so I don't get that connection at all.

Regular Contributor

Sheesh! WEN haters can be so nasty and insulting. About a product they don't use. I don't like a lot of things the Q sells, but I never feel the need to go to those forums and be a d* i* c* k