Super Contributor

Re: Just Binge Cleaned My Stash and Boy, Does It Feel Great!!!!!!

On 9/12/2014 crush said:

I tried to do that a few nights ago but found that it's going to take me a lot longer than the amount of time I actually had free to sort through things. I guess I need to schedule a day to do it soon. I did toss a few things, but I have so many things...I truly probably need to go to Cosmetics Anonymous!! {#emotions_dlg.scared} And don't get me started on lotions, body butters, etc. My husband joked with me yesterday that he might take an inventory to see how many I have.

I have ALWAYS been what you'd call a "priss-pot"...loved makeup, pocketbooks, and most things "girly" even when I was just a little girl. It started with those flavored rollerball lipglosses and grew from there. I didn't actually start wearing makeup until I was about 12-13, but I've always loved it! I even had the Barbie head that you could do her makeup and hair. Wow...I might just be "once a priss-pot, always a priss-pot"!! I think the line from the song..."I enjoy being a girl" fits me quite well!

OMG I think you just might be my long-lost twin....{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.lol}....I was the EXACT same way...my mom has a picture of me playing "dress up" when I was 2, complete w/ purse, shoes, makeup in the purse (usually a tiny lipstick)....somehow the obsession was born into me and never left!! I had the same roller ball lip glosses and was so excited when I was actually allowed to wear a little makeup when I was about 13. I am grateful that my mom taught me importance of skin care from an early age though. I can remember her buying me my first skin care set at about 11 or 12 - it was mary kay cleanser, toner, moisturizer. I felt so grown up Smiley Happy {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I keep trying to pare down my stash, but somehow when I get rid of stuff new stuff finds it's way into the cabinets....whoops.....

Valued Contributor

I can proudly say I was in Walgreen's on Saturday and DID NOT buy another lipstick, now that I have cleaned out my stash! I have a basket full and am trying to believe that is enough for now. Wish me luck!

Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 coco14 said:

Can you come to my house and do this? I have so so many items and I know they should be thrown out, but I can't seem to take the first step. Did you look at each item or simply toss them?

When you're through with coco14's stash, can I be your next clean-out??? I admire your energy!!! Way to go! My under sink cabinets are packed with stuff I don't need or use. Just a bunch of 1/4, 1/2 full or barely used products; hair, makeup and skincare.

Oh and the samples are a separate beast! I have a boot box full.

UGH.

Good for you! It must feel wonderful to lighten the load!

I've cut down on buying in a big way over the past year. Now I just need to clean out this mess.

Valued Contributor

Funloving Just start somewhere! Decide to just do your samples, or just your cleansers, or serums, or whatever you like. Take it bit by bit and you would be surprised how much energy you get to keep tossing things you know you never use and are saving for no reason except you once spent money on them. It does make you feel really good!

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the great replies! Really hope your efforts to sort through your stashes and clear away the useless items makes you feel like you are off to a fresh start. Important step 2, use what you have and do your best to not stock up on new things right away because you suddenly have more space Smiley Happy I'm trying my best but it's hard when you are used to trying the latest thing that will answer your prayers for beautiful skin!

Respected Contributor

I went thru all my stuff last week and tossed a bag full of products, some I have no idea how old it was, but old! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

It was so liberating I did my shoes, I got a big boxful to donate, some never worn, geez. Then I was standing in the kitchen and unloaded a utensil drawer and it looks so nice and neat, I have a box of old pots and pans in my car trunk already. It may be piece work but I feel less bogged down already! This week I have been going thru clothes, I finally realized there are some things I will never fit into again darn it!

I have hit the stage in my life too where less is best! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

When I was in my early 20's and discovered MAC cosmetics, I purchased every eyeshadow palette I could get my hands on. Now almost 30 years later, I FINALLY threw them all out. I was in the right mood to purge them and haven't looked back, but I'm embarrassed at the amount of money invested. Next will be the 30+ MAC lipsticks! I know they aren't going to get worn, but sometimes I still like to look at them all. I'll take them to a MAC store on my next big city trip and turn them in for new ones.

Frequent Contributor

I just spent most of one day going through my closet, trying on clothes and donating the ones that no longer fit, or I just didn't care for any longer..... It felt WONDERFUL to get so much stuff out of my closet..... I didn't even think about my make-up drawer! Guess I have another afternoon ahead of me going through that! ha!