Valued Contributor

Re: Just Binge Cleaned My Stash and Boy, Does It Feel Great!!!!!!

Such a great feeling, isn't it???Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

It is a great feeling. I went through my products a few years ago and looking at all the stuff in the trash is what gave me the wake-up call to buy what I will use, stop buying a ton of skincare I half use and to stop buying kits if I won't use all the products.

I've done a pretty decent job not restocking.

Valued Contributor

If you have many unused items, donating them is a great way to go. Mine were basically used and the slightly used ones my friend's daughters like to take because they know me so they feel that it is okay. Whatever way gets you to sort through your stash and see what you actually like and what you actually rarely use is a good thing.

Valued Contributor

Can you come to my house and do this? I have so so many items and I know they should be thrown out, but I can't seem to take the first step. Did you look at each item or simply toss them?

Valued Contributor

coco I did look at each item but once I got started it went quickly and I ended up doing more than I originally thought I would. I had planned to go through 3 baskets where I store lipsticks, shadows, and samples but it felt so good to be clearing these out I just moved on to everything else. But you don't have to do it all at one time, just plan to do a drawer or two or your dresser or your make up bag and you will feel like you are accomplishing something. I just got on a roll and had more energy as I tossed! Like everything else, you just have to take that first small step. Good luck Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 mysweetlife said:

Good for you! That's a tremendous accomplishment and one I'm all too bad about not doing.

If you ladies don't mind, I'd like to toss in a great idea for what to do with products you decide you no longer want, but that your family/friends can't use or don't want.

My mother was a dark-haired, olive-skinned brunette with brown eyes and I'm strawberry blonde with green eyes and ruddy cheeks like my dad. When she passed away, I wasn't really able to use any of her cosmetics, and she had tons of them. Expensive, beautiful things. And I couldn't use her fragrances either. They were 'hers'. So I gathered up all the makeup, skincare and fragrances and donated them to a charity program that assists homeless women with finding jobs. They teach them how to dress for an office, how to comport themselves in an interview, and teach them basic office skills. They then mentor them throughout the job search and afterwards help them budget and eventually get their own place to live. It's a wonderful program that really helps women. I had seen them advertise for donations of clothing appropriate for the workplace and thought they might appreciate some makeup, etc., also. They were absolutely thrilled! The faces of the women who were in the room when I brought in the boxes just lit up. Every woman likes to look pretty, right?

Now, whenever I get a product I don't like or won't use, I donate it to this program.

Thanks for reading.

What a wonderful story. I would imagine that most of us could find a similar program to donate to instead of just throwing out unused products. I tend not to overbuy so I don't really have much that I can't use.

Respected Contributor

Quarterly I go through both the house and skin/ makeup and downsize. The decor items are given to folks who'd like them ( send iPad pictures to them ) or donated. The skin and makeup items have gotten down now to the bare basics. What I have now in the one basket are extras of the one shade of lipstick that works for, Mally mascara, IT concealer and CC cream, etc. As for clothing, I go through the current season's stuff every time I find a fabulous deal and distribute or donate. It becomes not only an expense issue but a more significant one of time management. I do my whole make up from bare skin to finished face in 10 minutes. Selecting clothes for the day: 2 minutes max.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Thank you for the motivator! Must do!

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 mysweetlife said:

Good for you! That's a tremendous accomplishment and one I'm all too bad about not doing.

If you ladies don't mind, I'd like to toss in a great idea for what to do with products you decide you no longer want, but that your family/friends can't use or don't want.

My mother was a dark-haired, olive-skinned brunette with brown eyes and I'm strawberry blonde with green eyes and ruddy cheeks like my dad. When she passed away, I wasn't really able to use any of her cosmetics, and she had tons of them. Expensive, beautiful things. And I couldn't use her fragrances either. They were 'hers'. So I gathered up all the makeup, skincare and fragrances and donated them to a charity program that assists homeless women with finding jobs. They teach them how to dress for an office, how to comport themselves in an interview, and teach them basic office skills. They then mentor them throughout the job search and afterwards help them budget and eventually get their own place to live. It's a wonderful program that really helps women. I had seen them advertise for donations of clothing appropriate for the workplace and thought they might appreciate some makeup, etc., also. They were absolutely thrilled! The faces of the women who were in the room when I brought in the boxes just lit up. Every woman likes to look pretty, right?

Now, whenever I get a product I don't like or won't use, I donate it to this program.

Thanks for reading.

Such a great idea. I keep items in kits that i didnt use and give to my hairdresser or a young lady we know who cant afford nice cosmetics, creams etc. but, 1 lipstick!! Could not deal with that!!
Trusted Contributor

prettyblueparakeet, you're my hero! One day I hope to have a capsule collection like yours. Over the past year and a half I have whittled down my collection to about 25% of what I started with. I'm about halfway to my goal, which will probably take another year. It's been a thrilling, agonizing, contemplative journey. {#emotions_dlg.blink}