Trusted Contributor

Re: Juliana Marguiles, dare I say it?

Her dress wasn't my fav, but I thought she looked beautiful as usual. And it's about time she won for Good Wife.
Respected Contributor

J.M. looks very slender and toned and in shape. If she were well-endowed and showed off some cleavage, no one would be saying she is anorexic.

Super Contributor

Most of these celebrities have large heads and tiny bodies so it's hard to say.

Respected Contributor

I think she looks great.
Honored Contributor

You do all realize, don't you, that fat or thin, cosmeticisation of body size is how Americans have detached themselves from "eating-until-satisfied-eating-when-hungry"? I am fat, and I have no interest in defending Melissa McCarthy IN ANY WAY. I think she is a beautiful woman, but her talent is, in my opinion, limited to playing jolly or silly or outrageous fat women. I have literally never seen her doing anything else. YES AND THANK YOU to those who acknowledge anorexia as a disease, not as a cosmetic issue. In my mother's life I saw her go from weighing over 200 pounds to weighing 80 pounds to weighing 200 pounds at least twice and probably three times in my life, and believe me, the issue was crippling anxiety, not fashion. Harp on whatever appearance based issue you wish, but leave the concept of eating disorders to trained experts and those who live with the disease.
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/26/2014 kcubed said:

It is great to be thin, healthy and toned, but as a thin woman gets older, her face really begins to age earlier than a woman who is slightly overweight. I recently saw a lady who I have not seen in 5 years or so. She is in her early 50s. She has always been thin, in shape and had a super toned body. Her body looked great, but I couldn't believe how she had aged in the face. She looked a good 10 years older than her friends who have always been slightly overweight. There comes a time in a woman's life when she must choose to be thin or to look young.

I should refrain from this, but as an older woman who is thin, whose face never gives away my six decades (age) to those who don't know, but I do not get regular Botox and other cosmetic treatments (surgical or otherwise), your post offends me. To make such a generalization is as bad as those who toss around phrases like "she should eat something" or "she must be anorexic."

Respected Contributor

It is great to be thin, healthy and toned, but as a thin woman gets older, her face really begins to age earlier than a woman who is slightly overweight. I recently saw a lady who I have not seen in 5 years or so. She is in her early 50s. She has always been thin, in shape and had a super toned body. Her body looked great, but I couldn't believe how she had aged in the face. She looked a good 10 years older than her friends who have always been slightly overweight. There comes a time in a woman's life when she must choose to be thin or to look young.

Ridiculous generalization. Rationalizing being overweight to maintain facial contours is laughable.
Super Contributor

I tried my best to stay out of this one! But I just had to chyme in!{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

In all honesty there was only one lady that I personally found almost painful to look at (hint:a host). Then I thought to myself, she has a family, friends, etc in real life and if they think she is ok then who am I to think/judge otherwise!

Lastly, I have to agree with this quote!

"When you get older, you have to be ready to trade your a** for your face." -- Quote attributed to actress Catherine Deneuve.

I work out regulary, run, cycle, eat "clean", drink my water (and coffee!) and had to turn to a derm for some "help" before age 40!{#emotions_dlg.glare} I am trying to keep both but it is mostly about health for me (with a dash of vanity).

Have a good one BB!

Super Contributor

I think since most Americans are obese, a healthy trim thin person can be seen today at too thin.... we get use to all the hype that the Vendor push on us to... just to cover up the juicy Bits... That is is normal to have muffin top, flabby fat arms and back fat and a huge toxic gut.

It is NOT normal and that is why so many women( and men) are dying of heart disease and have diabetes. AMERICA IS FAT.

Honored Contributor

On 8/27/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

Ridiculous generalization. Rationalizing being overweight to maintain facial contours is laughable.

I agree. It is true for some women, but it is not true for all women.

Plenty of chunky over 50's out there who have no facial contours either.