Honored Contributor

Re: Juliana Marguiles, dare I say it?

So many of the actresses that were a little fuller when they started out, have become lean as they have aged. They aren't anorexic, or way too thin, but lean. They work out like crazy getting those arms and abs, and they eat different than they did 10-15 years ago. We may know more about foods now as well. JMHO. They either are vegans, on raw diets, or sans gluten and wheat. Also when you have a series going, it is hard. Hours are long. They film 5 or 6 days a week for several months 10 to 14 hour days.Take a break and go back and do it again for the next season. It isn't as easy as it looks in my opinion.

Anyway she looks good. Toned. She is small. She has a very small frame. She is definitely more lean and toned than she was in ER. Lots of hard, hard work and sacrifice is my guess. But that is the fuel Hollywood runs on.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/26/2014 LipstickDiva said:

She didn't look anorexic at all. She looked healthy and fit.

Since you seem to think it's okay to tell someone to put on some weight, do you think it would be okay for someone to start a thread telling Melissa McCarthy and a few others to step away from the junk food and lose some weight?

I totally agree with you. She looked healthy and fit. Double standard for sure!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/26/2014 SoftRaindrops said: Obesity is a real problem in this country. It's so bad that a normal, healthy looking thin person now is labeled anorexic. Sad really. Julianna looks lovely.

I agree, it is like some people don't realize what healthy looks like.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

On 8/26/2014 glmama said:
On 8/26/2014 SoftRaindrops said: Obesity is a real problem in this country. It's so bad that a normal, healthy looking thin person now is labeled anorexic. Sad really. Julianna looks lovely.

Hi Raindrops-While I agree that obesity is a REAL problem, I do not agree that healthy, thin-looking people are always labeled anorexic. I think much like everything else, there has been a bit of backlash to the obesity thing from those that are thin or of a healthy weight.

There are many here in this community that have commented nastily about a model's weight going up a few pounds or a host's body changing, when in fact, they have just fluctuated, like many of us do. And they are not obese. So it works both ways. Someone who is 10-20lbs. overweight is not obese, and yet there are some that criticize those bodies for not fitting a certain mode.

Much like there is fat-shaming toward larger women (and the less obvious thing that I mention above with those that aren't super thin), I think there is body shaming in general. I have read horrible comments on line about Kelly Ripa's body, in particular. Why do we feel the need to pick apart other people's bodies? People on Kelly's show tell her to "Eat a sandwich"--this shouldn't be acceptable, either. It goes both ways.

I was addressing the comments about Julianna, not necessarily all women who are thin. Not everyone who is thin is deemed anorexic.

I see your point about extremes in weight, either being obese or underweight are probably not healthy conditions. However, for the most part, I think we are in agreement that body-shaming is wrong on every level.

Respected Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I agree, it is like some people don't realize what healthy looks like.

I think that is becoming more and more evident reading so many threads where someone is called anorexic that is just healthy and thin.

Honored Contributor

Julianne is just a fabulous, stunning woman. Christine Baranski who works with her is another stunning woman. She is lean as well. And she is over 60! Deep sigh here. Shoekitty is so jealous, LOL!

Super Contributor

Juliana is absolutely gorgeous, that pic of her is stunning. She looks like a Greek goddess. She is not anorexic or too thin.

Yes she is thin but she is not overly so. JMO.

Super Contributor

On 8/26/2014 shoekitty said:

Julianne is just a fabulous, stunning woman. Christine Baranski who works with her is another stunning woman. She is lean as well. And she is over 60! Deep sigh here. Shoekitty is so jealous, LOL!

ITA!!!

I think Christine is a gorgeous woman too and very fit and healthy! And she has FABULOUS hair. She always looks so chic.

Valued Contributor

On 8/26/2014 SoftRaindrops said:
On 8/26/2014 glmama said:

Hi Raindrops-While I agree that obesity is a REAL problem, I do not agree that healthy, thin-looking people are always labeled anorexic. I think much like everything else, there has been a bit of backlash to the obesity thing from those that are thin or of a healthy weight.

There are many here in this community that have commented nastily about a model's weight going up a few pounds or a host's body changing, when in fact, they have just fluctuated, like many of us do. And they are not obese. So it works both ways. Someone who is 10-20lbs. overweight is not obese, and yet there are some that criticize those bodies for not fitting a certain mode.

Much like there is fat-shaming toward larger women (and the less obvious thing that I mention above with those that aren't super thin), I think there is body shaming in general. I have read horrible comments on line about Kelly Ripa's body, in particular. Why do we feel the need to pick apart other people's bodies? People on Kelly's show tell her to "Eat a sandwich"--this shouldn't be acceptable, either. It goes both ways.

I was addressing the comments about Julianna, not necessarily all women who are thin. Not everyone who is thin is deemed anorexic.

I see your point about extremes in weight, either being obese or underweight are probably not healthy conditions. However, for the most part, I think we are in agreement that body-shaming is wrong on every level.

Agreed.Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

It is great to be thin, healthy and toned, but as a thin woman gets older, her face really begins to age earlier than a woman who is slightly overweight. I recently saw a lady who I have not seen in 5 years or so. She is in her early 50s. She has always been thin, in shape and had a super toned body. Her body looked great, but I couldn't believe how she had aged in the face. She looked a good 10 years older than her friends who have always been slightly overweight. There comes a time in a woman's life when she must choose to be thin or to look young.