Honored Contributor

Re: Judge denies Amazon’s bid to withhold customer data in hair-loss lawsuit

@millieshops wrote:

I never signed on to be a member of any class action suit and I don't want my data released to anyone -  not by WEN, not by QVC, not by Amazon, not by anyone.

@millieshops

Good luck with THAT.      Unless you're in a B&M store and pay cash, there's a paper trail .... or, in this case, an electronic trail.  

If a retailer is ordered by the court to release a list of purchasers, in most cases, they'll follow the legal guidelines.    You can't prevent them from doing so.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden, just a piece of friendly advice: I assume that your opening post was a quote? You should always indicate that clearly -- either by quotes or italics followed or preceded by the source (preferably a link).

@suzyQ3  Thanks! I usually do give my source but just forgot this morning.  I edited my post to say where I found the information.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44I fully understand what you're saying.  It's this ease of retailers of all kinds being able to access my data that actually stops me from many kinds of random buying.

I also know I'm still not protected from the hackers, but I'm fatalistic.  I keep track of the purchases that I still charge, change passwords on my own schedule, etc.  Not much else to do.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Tinkrbl44I fully understand what you're saying.  It's this ease of retailers of all kinds being able to access my data that actually stops me from many kinds of random buying.

I also know I'm still not protected from the hackers, but I'm fatalistic.  I keep track of the purchases that I still charge, change passwords on my own schedule, etc.  Not much else to do.

@millieshops

ITA .....    I remember when I took the time to fully read a disclosure reading my medical information ....  talk about a real shocker!

Depending on the circumstances, your medical and prescription information can be released to a huge number of different organizations and facilities .....  drug companies, the CDC, medical examiners, prison facilities, health care companies ... etc etc etc.  It's really stunning.  Nothing is private anymore.

Respected Contributor

I've already received 2 separate emails and claimant numbers...I assumed because I've ordered from multiple places.  Wonder if I'll get a 3rd now...If so, I'll delete as I did the others, since I've never been harmed by the product.

Honored Contributor

Not trying to hijack the thread, but ref medical info, I once asked a nurse "what happens if I refuse to sign the privacy statement?"  She said "Then we can't treat you."  Whatever.  I've given up worrying about any of this stuff. 

Respected Contributor

I am suprised amazon lost.  People are smart enough  to research and join a lawsuit if they wanted too. they do not need their private information passed around

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I am suprised amazon lost.  People are smart enough  to research and join a lawsuit if they wanted too. they do not need their private information passed around

@kcladyz

Of course no one "needs" their private information released (not "passed around").    

There are good reasons this happens .....  what if you bought a new set of tires and the manufacturer later discovers that there was defective material in them?  

Seems to me that if you're driving at 60 mph on the freeway and experiencing a blow out that could have been avoided, you would WANT to be notified of the problem.  In instances like this, "privacy" is a secondary concern.

Honored Contributor

I'm obviously in the tiny minority here because I just can't get too riled up about most privacy issues.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland