Honored Contributor

Judge denies Amazon’s bid to withhold customer data in hair-loss lawsuit

[ Edited ]

This is taken from today's Seattle Times paper

A federal judge in Seattle has ordered Amazon to surrender a list of customers who bought WEN hair-care products so attorneys in a class-action settlement over hair loss and other woes can notify those shoppers.

The case highlights how Amazon’s zealous views on consumer privacy are being put to the test by the company’s success as a retailer, which makes it an attractive repository of customer data.

Amazon is not a party to the $26 million settlement between the makers of WEN products and the plaintiffs in a California court.

That agreement, reached in July, would provide $25 to any person who bought or used WEN products, which the plaintiffs allege produced hair loss and scalp irritation. Those who suffered adverse reactions can claim up to $20,000

The case has been at the center of a wide-ranging debate about government regulation of the cosmetics industry.

Amazon became involved because attorneys for the plaintiffs wanted to send a settlement notice to those who bought WEN products via Amazon, and got a subpoena for their names and contact information.

In court filings, the plaintiffs said QVC, Sephora and Overstock agreed to provide the customer data. But Amazon declined to disclose its customers’ identities and contact info on privacy grounds, and asked for a court ruling here to protect it from the subpoena.

Also, it said acquiescing might lead to many similar requests, creating a “cumulative burden.”

Amazon’s lawyers say the expense to the company and the customers’ loss of privacy exceeds “any minimal value that confidential information might have” to the plaintiffs requesting it. Amazon declined to comment for this story.

Wednesday, Judge James L. Robart rejected Amazon’s arguments, according to court records.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Judge denies Amazon’s bid to withhold customer data in hair-loss lawsuit

[ Edited ]

I have no complaints from using WEN I use it now and have been using it for 13 yrs. and will continue using it......(unless my hair falls out)

My daughter was notified about this suit case but I was not,I wonder why?  We both bought ours from QVC.She bought 1 time. I buy regularly

I bought my first gallon from Amazon many yrs ago.

Honored Contributor

I never signed on to be a member of any class action suit and I don't want my data released to anyone -  not by WEN, not by QVC, not by Amazon, not by anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops I received an email in regards to this Class Action Suit and I never agreed to have my information released either, QVC is the only retailer I have bought Wen through, so was QVC ordered to release this information?  My friend who has also ordered Wen through QVC never received the email though, strange?

I just deleted the email!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops I only purchased WEN one time from QVC.  I received a post card about the Class Action, so I know for a fact that QVC released my personal information.

You don't sign up for the class action before you receive information, you sign up after you receive the info.

If you purchased from QVC, your personal info was already released.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie That makes me angry, as QVC claims they don't share any of your personal information, unless they were ordered to?

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I received a postcard in the mail. Must have been given my contact info from QVC. I'm disregarding the postcard. I don't need to bother for $1.32.
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Carmie That makes me angry, as QVC claims they don't share any of your personal information, unless they were ordered to?

It appears they were ordered to and they did.

Amazon on the other hand was ordered to and they are trying to fight it.

Nothing is private anymore.. even if it is delivered in those discreet brown packages.

Honored Contributor

I see Amazon's point and I agree, they shouldn't release that information without an express order from the courts.  I truly don't think it's a burden on them at all, it's all automated and all they have to do is run reports.  But I do think Amazon needs to protect itself from lawsuits that would certainly be filed from customers claiming that Amazon shared information that did not authorize Amazon to share. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, just a piece of friendly advice: I assume that your opening post was a quote? You should always indicate that clearly -- either by quotes or italics followed or preceded by the source (preferably a link).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland