Respected Contributor

My local department store has stopped carrying Joy Perfume  much to my dismay. I had always re-ordered it from Karen at the fragrance counter where she has worked for the last 30 years. However, I was informed that "younger women are not buying it" enough to justify carrying it.  Meanwhile, celebrity fragrances are filling the space where the fine perfumes used to be housed. Very sad that once again women over the age of 70 are ignored by mass media and merchandisers in favor of the social media generation.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever, I rarely wear perfume but I have noticed all of the celebrity everything that is created.  I never realized that celebrities were so creative.  I remember wearing Joy when I was in college as well as my favorite, Jungle Gardenia.  I believe that many young people live vicariously through celebrities, and the classic fragrances, as well as many things, go by the wayside.  Bigger houses with high-end fixtures, expensive cars, credit card debt, many trying to live like their favorite tv personalities, musicians, and actors.   

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Joy is one of my favorites along with Chanel #5. Both are available for purchase from Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Joy Perfume

[ Edited ]

@Reever Not to worry....you can still purchase (check Nordstrom).  This was my mother's signature fragrance and frequent gift at birthday/Christmas.  I have one open and another in the box on the shelf.  If this is your favorite, just check around and don't be concerned with the why it is no longer available at your department store - maybe the fragrance is too pricely for younger purchasers.  My all time favorite is Fracas and it is difficult to find also....I don't question why, just hunt it down!  I usually wear Pacifica (i like the cruelty free ethics of the company) daily.   Enjoy your joy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever  Years ago, my boyfriend boy me Joy for Christmas.  It's pretty but there are so many new fragrances out.  I recently purchased a parfum by Laura Mercier called L'Heure Magique 1.7 oz. for $75.  I had some gift cards and decided to try it.  It is quite different but it is so nice to smell the different notes.  The scent lingers too.  I believe you would like it if you like Joy.  You get more for your money too compare to Joy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I, too, had a boyfriend who gifted me Joy back in the 80’s.

Gosh it seemed fragrance was so popular back then.

In the era of all of us young women wearing heavy fragrances

like Poison, Opium, Obsession, musk, Giorgio,

anything Estée Lauder, Joy was just a prettier heavy perfume.

I think I spent that entire decade with a perfume migraine headache.

Everyone smelled like a hooker! Ha.

I can honestly say....I haven’t smelled strong perfume anywhere 

in a long time.  Are young/middle-aged women not wearing

anything these days?

Valued Contributor

Joy Perfume is sold at Vermont Country Store.

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

My local department store has stopped carrying Joy Perfume  much to my dismay. I had always re-ordered it from Karen at the fragrance counter where she has worked for the last 30 years. However, I was informed that "younger women are not buying it" enough to justify carrying it.  Meanwhile, celebrity fragrances are filling the space where the fine perfumes used to be housed. Very sad that once again women over the age of 70 are ignored by mass media and merchandisers in favor of the social media generation.

@Reever ~~  pretty sure many of us know how you feel when they discontinue a favorite fragrance.  One of my favorites "LaCoste Pour Femme" was discontinued a few years ago.  They still sell it, and its a bottle of water/alcohol, with the faintest hint of the scent, which dissipates instantly.  I've purchased 2 bottles, one from HSN, and one from a discount perfume store.  My son even bought back a bottle from a perfume shop in Spain.  All the same, a bottle of water/alcohol.  I've been looking for a dupe, but at this point, leary to make a purchase:/  I'm sure you can find Joy without a problem.  Lots of good suggestions given by the ladies.

Respected Contributor

They sell Joy on Amazon. There are various price points and a good number of them are Prime.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  This reminds me of a colleague at work.  Love her- so vibrant, and a compassionate person - but the perfume she wears could stand up in a room!  I could walk into the room and know she had been there.  One of those heavy Estee Lauder perfumes that used to be popular.  It is interesting because it seems so counter intuitive to her nature.  Love her anyway, of course, but headache producing.

@sidsmom wrote:

I, too, had a boyfriend who gifted me Joy back in the 80’s.

Gosh it seemed fragrance was so popular back then.

In the era of all of us young women wearing heavy fragrances

like Poison, Opium, Obsession, musk, Giorgio,

anything Estée Lauder, Joy was just a prettier heavy perfume.

I think I spent that entire decade with a perfume migraine headache.

Everyone smelled like a hooker! Ha.

I can honestly say....I haven’t smelled strong perfume anywhere 

in a long time.  Are young/middle-aged women not wearing

anything these days?