Frequent Contributor

Re: Joy Mangano leaves HSN after 20 year

Perhaps we will soon see Lori Griener on HSN. 

Honored Contributor

The article probably said more than that.  HSN bought Joy's company quite a while ago.  They own it and Joy has just been the "Face" for presentations.  Actually, no more than a show host for that one particular line.  Now it appears that the facade is over, they are ending the Joy Managano line...which they own but they will keep offering the hangers and a few other top sellers.  Yes, people will lose their jobs but people get layed off everywhere in this country, every day of the week.  They get new jobs, often better jobs and move on with their lives.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've discussed some of the Joy Mangano news in a similar thread in the Community Chat section, but since this thread is in the beauty section, I wonder how long it will be before Qurate dumps the Signature Club A line from HSN? HSN owns the Signature Club A brand so if Qurate can dump a long time vendor like Joy Mangano from the line that they own Ingenious Designs AND dump a long time beauty vendor Serious Skin Care which HSN doesn't own, don't you think that HSN will be gunning for long time vendor Adrienne (Adrien) Arpel next?

Qurate aka QVC and HSN are looking for much younger customers like gen X'ers, millennials and younger so they are playing up brands like Too Faced, Tarte, Urban Decay, and Benefit which are aimed at those groups the most and do the most social media advertising via instagram. Of course older women also like some of the products from these brands too but I doubt that the reverse is true in that younger women won't look at a line like Signature Club A.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

The last two sets of Huggable Hangers that I bought continue to fall apart.  They just literally separate at the hook, with nothing at all hanging on them.  Been that way since I first got them.  I just figure, when the last one goes, I'll replace them with something decent.

I haven't bought another of her products since.

(ETA:  The first set I ever got is still fine.  It was just the newer sets I got, where the quality was appallingly bad.)

@Venezia   I buy my similar hangers at Costco....they are very reasonable priced and hold up very well.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden- Yes, I've seen similar ones at BJs and Sam's Club (we don't have a Costco).  I have enough for the foreseeable future but, when the last of these breaks, I'll buy from one of those places.

The last two sets I got all break at the same place and in the same way.  I got a set of light blue (for me) and navy (for DH).  They literally split apart vertically where the hook goes in and where the logo is stamped.  The "hanger" bit falls off and the hook ends up on the rail!  And that's without even any clothing on them.  Not much use.

I knew they were thinner than the set I got years ago (that didn't have the logo stamp), but they shouldn't be so cheaply made.

Respected Contributor

@jlkzI think you're right.  That was a HUGE disaster and made HSN look like idiots.  I'm very sorry for those who are losing their jobs. 

Super Contributor

What was the disaster?

Super Contributor

sad for those losing their jobs. i have not ever bought a thing from this line.

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed the first order of huggable hangers I brought many years ago are still in tact no problems I hang everything on them, however the next set I noticed they were breaking or splitting.  I forgot to mention I did order those odor eliminating sticks back in 2012 what a waste of money that was I would have been better off going to the local 99 cent store because you practically had to stick it in your nose to smell the scent.

Another brand I had to drop is that scrub daddy/mommy when it first came to QVC after seeing it on Shark tank I immediately went on auto-delivery the product was great no breaking up and the sponge lasted however once my auto-delivery ended and they had a new batch what a mess the sponges were breaking up after a few days I even ordered it again thinking I received a bad batch but it happened again so no more scrub daddy or mommy for me.

Esteemed Contributor

In reading the article it's clear that in additin to the Mangano staff, Quarte has been doing a lot of sweeping terminations at HSN headquarters in Tampa.  The number mentioned in the article is 350!  That's a lot of people cut from the HSN division of this new QVC/HSN team.  

As for Joy.  She's a multi-millionaire who can probably continue to do other things or kick back and enjoy the rest of her life in total luxurious comfort.  I have to also add that since the first Huggable Hangers came out in 1999 nothing else has been used in my closets. I love them.  My original color was black and cranberry and I still have most of them.  I use the cranberry for hanging line dry clothes as I have moved on to other decorative colors for my closets. The black ones are used in the front hall closet.