Frequent Contributor

Re: Josie wears her mascara to sleep

I have heard JM say in the past that her mascara is good for your lashes and is ok to sleep in.  I think her mascara is fine, although its not my favorite.  

Respected Contributor

No way would I cleanse my face at night and reapply mascara. 

Respected Contributor

A) Skin nor lashes breathe.

2) Pigment won't hurt you or your lashes, unless you are allergic to it & then you wouldn't be using it anyway. So if her mascara is conditioning it would be fine to sleep in it. 

Yes, it may smear on your face or pillow case over night, but that is a different problem.

3) I do always wash my face before bedtime, but I don't think my skin would do anything horrible if I didn't. It would be the same product that I had on my face for 12 hours during the day. Why would it do something awful to my skin when I shut my eyes?

D) Cosmetics have come a long way & a lot of them contain skin care ingredients now & are targeted towards different skin types. Not just the old pancake makeup that was first introduced.

E) Most everything breaks me out & I am as likely to break out from a cleanser, serum or moisturizer as a foundation or powder, so I am very picky about what I put on my skin day or night.

Respected Contributor

Regardless of the ingredients, anything that is makeup is not meant to be slep in. In the very few times in my life I slept with makeup I woke up with gross looking skin that was a little clogged looking. Yes, skin and lashes do not literally “breathe” however they do need a break from cosmetics and pigments for the sake of the pores and the lash follicles. Cosmetics are not the same as skincare at all. I had an eye doctor tell me that mascara can clog the lash follicles (waterproof in particular). That is why I believe lashes need a break at night. Clogged follicles can cause lash loss. So the doctor told me anyway. 

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

A) Skin nor lashes breathe.

2) Pigment won't hurt you or your lashes, unless you are allergic to it & then you wouldn't be using it anyway. So if her mascara is conditioning it would be fine to sleep in it. 

Yes, it may smear on your face or pillow case over night, but that is a different problem.

3) I do always wash my face before bedtime, but I don't think my skin would do anything horrible if I didn't. It would be the same product that I had on my face for 12 hours during the day. Why would it do something awful to my skin when I shut my eyes?

D) Cosmetics have come a long way & a lot of them contain skin care ingredients now & are targeted towards different skin types. Not just the old pancake makeup that was first introduced.

E) Most everything breaks me out & I am as likely to break out from a cleanser, serum or moisturizer as a foundation or powder, so I am very picky about what I put on my skin day or night.

Sunscreen needs to be washed off at night.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I like this mascara but it is oily and the black bleeds under the eyes.  I would look like a racoon if I sleeped in it.  I bought the set, love the milk and the divine drip and want to try the new serum.  Love her products

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Josie always says that when selling her mascara, it’s typical of her. Personally I would not sleep in mascara. Your lashes need to be cleansed and to breathe. Even if it has some beneficial ingredients, its still mascara. I would imagine it would get on the pillowcases too. 

I definitely agree...I personally don’t care for Josie’s marcara....too messy for me. 

Honored Contributor

Eewh!!! I have never slept in makeup. I always wash my face in the evening no matter how tired I am.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I have a friend who claims her husband has NEVER seen her without makeup.   (I believe her.)

@Desertdi 

I have a sister that won't answer the door if she does not have her makeup on. My older sister lives in the same town as she does. She drops stuff off at her Apt all the time. She has to text her when she gets there to tell her she is there dropping of whatever. My younger sister won't open the door to get it until my older sister has left. LOL!!!

When I visit I stay with my older sister. I always shower earlier in the evening because there are so many in the house. I don't have makeup on after that point. I don't care what anyone thinks I look like. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

The ONLY mascara I will sleep in (and that's a rarity) is Trish McEvoy's. It doesn't smear on me or my pillowcase, the lashes do not clump together and it honestly doesn't feel like I have mascara on and yet, my lashes look great. This is my go-to for traveling or anyplace that I know I will not have the chance to remove makeup (or may be up to late and then have an early morning rise time).

Perhaps because it's a tube mascara is why it works. Other mascaras have clumped, pulled out lashes, etc. A mess. Again, it's rare that I do this.