Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I think Josie and her team are masters of clever marketing. I bet the name “Skin Dope” was chosen exactly for the attention it is getting.

I agree with you 100%.  It's a catchy and cute (to them) name.  All the other makeup and skin care products who use other "shock" names are also going for the marketing end.  I have a feeling I am not going to be able to sit through an entire presentation when this product is discussed.

I, for one, tend to overlook gimicky things.  Maybe this new ingredient is wonderful -- time will tell.  However, for now, just give me a good product with a nice name and let's go on.

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The word 'dope' can also mean cover or smear with a thick liquid and it may not have anything to do with hemp.

@SilleeMee- the word "dope" also means a stupid person. Not for nothing, but I've bought Josie's body butter, and the fool was me. A lot of money for a jar of grease with artificial fragrance.

@sunala, so you are saying that you were a "dope"? Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The word 'dope' can also mean cover or smear with a thick liquid and it may not have anything to do with hemp.

@SilleeMee- the word "dope" also means a stupid person. Not for nothing, but I've bought Josie's body butter, and the fool was me. A lot of money for a jar of grease with artificial fragrance.

@suzyQ3- yup!!! Woman Frustrated

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

With all that said , i think i want to try it, the combination might be a winner , and i kind of like name . Just would like to know what she was thinking when she named it.

@MW in Iowa- I'd bet she was thinking, "How can I make even more money from QVC than I already do?"

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Re: Josie's Skin Dope

[ Edited ]

@skittles2 wrote:

Hi, I know Hemp is widely used in skincare, makeup, has many benefits, et., but Josie has always said Argan Oil is all your skin needs, all skin types: dry, oily, combo sensitive, acneic....it's a lipid oil, provides cushion needed for aging skin, ....so why is hemp needed?  it isn't really, maybe some would prefer a half & half oil.

I have no problem with the product.
I realize this is not a cannabis, HOWEVER,  to advertise this as such, by way of colloquialisms, is what I do have a problem with.

This is NOT something children should be reading from a bottle sitting on counters, or on shelves of stores, or hearing "Skin Dope, Dope is In, Dope Oil, Just Dropped" from Josie and the Hosts during shows.

Children are observant.

--Especially using  words like Dope, and phrases such as :

Dope is In

Just Dropped

...slang related to drug use-  teens for sure, probably younger, know what slang words, phrases are relating to.

There is no way I'm  watching, listening, let alone buying  "Skin Dope, Dope is in, Dope Oil, Just Dropped."  All of these words in emails Josies just sent, and some are on the bottle.

There's no reason to use colloquialisms in this day of rampant drug use, especially children seeing this on their parents counters, or store shelves, or seeing mom or dad watching this on QVC. They won't care if the parent has to explain there's no cannabis in the product, they'll see the words on the bottle, in advertisments, hear the words on tv, and think it's being condoned in their minds, and talk about it to other kids, thinking it's ok.

I understand some will find this funny, cute, no big deal,just get over it, etc., but kids do see and hear, and find suggestive words to give them a reason that it's ok, because it's on my mom's counter, or on the store shelf where we shop, etc. 

And I do not want to watch a show where these phrases are used. I'm not without humor, I just don't think this is funny, cute, not appropriate on any level, for me.

I will turn the channel as I do with anything I'm not interested in, or find inappropriate, or offensive.

This is disappointing.  I'm very glad I still use a few other skincare lines which give results, as I think I'm dropping Josie. I have to think about it.Cat Surprised

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

after losing beloved people in my life and see so many die from overdoses of 'dope'... this word just totally makes me mad to be used as a catch line in skincare.
Urban Decay had one that was near to this and horrible.
I get the word Dope as in cool etc., and if it has hemp in it fine BUT dope can be drugs that kill you as well like opiates...it's subjective for many and I had no idea I missed this show with her selling Dope Skin.
My 2 cents people on board here please respect. Thx
PS: I'm no goody-goody at all but this is my touchy subject

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor
@mimi5775 - I know where you’re coming from and I’m sorry for you losing loved ones. I don’t like the word either on cosmetics or whatever marketing ploy is intended.
Valued Contributor

I tried a sample of Skin Dope at Sephora and it feels the same as other JM Argan Oils. Maybe over time there's a difference? But, it feels and lathers on exactly the same

Honored Contributor

Josie’s Skin Dope went on sale on her website today.

A28E2D5A-A775-4ED5-B0DC-6645F6272978.jpeg

Super Contributor

I won’t be watching her as she slathers Dope all over her arms & pressing it into her face.

I think it’s disgusting that she named it that,with all the drug problems we are having.

And what happened to All you need is Arrrgan Oil?

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@suzyQ3- yup!!! Woman Frustrated

@sunalaWoman LOL Thanks for the laugh. 

All giggling aside, I do take the throwing around the word dope as slick clever marketing to be in poor taste.  I know there are other cosmetic products on the market which use hemp as an ingredient but to their credit they don't push the cannibus association.  That said, although many of the documented drug related deaths in this country have nothing to do with hem or cannibus, for me until those numbers go down I will be offended by anyone using the word dope as part of a slick marketing campaign. Josie, I will continue to purchase your argan oil, but you can keep your dope.